Views: 957
Message 71 of 108

Re: X1 EXTREME G1 - BIOS UPDATE 1.22 - SUPERVISOR PASSWORD BROKEN

@HawkeyeQ wrote:

@BrokenThinkpad wrote:

@NateS wrote:

@BrokenThinkpad wrote:

@Andy_Lenovo wrote:

As I stated previously Engineers are looking into possible recovery options but, at this time, it would be pure speculation on my part if I were to set an expectation for a resolution time line. If someone has experienced this issue and feels they require immediate assistance they should please contact support through the Contact Us site, (contact options may vary from country to country).

Lenovo,

What is the solution now ?

Customer service is not recognizing this issue in my country and nobody cares about this thread on the hotline.

When am I allowed to use my laptop again ?

How about posting which country you're in?

And maybe posting your case number would help.

There is no case number. There is only a support hotline which is not aware of this issue and therefore refuses support on this matter.

Hello.

You should use this link to report the issue: https://www.managedtechnicalsupportaccess.com/mtsarva/lenovo.html

This is what I did in the first place (the link is on Lenovo's Support portal) and I got the response I posted earlier.

They are aware of the issue and the root cause.

Regards,

No this link is useless because it applies only for a few countries not for China for example. 

So Lenovo what should I do ? No case number and the hotline refuses to help because they are not aware of this issue.

Should I through the laptop into the garbage bin now ?

AJH162
Punch Card
Views: 913
Message 72 of 108

It's worth pointing out that a restore of default bios settings would not have helped in the 1.22 case as a default restore does NOT clear security settings, including the power on and supervisor passwords, so the problem would still have occurred.
AJH162
Punch Card
Views: 909
Message 73 of 108

Try asking phone support for a case number. It would be completely incompetent for them to not have a tracking system for support calls. They might not have given you the case number, but I can pretty much guarantee they have one. Ask them for it and then get the Lenovo rep monitoring this thread to update their case notes so you can call back.
BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 841
Message 74 of 108

@AJH162 wrote:
Try asking phone support for a case number. It would be completely incompetent for them to not have a tracking system for support calls. They might not have given you the case number, but I can pretty much guarantee they have one. Ask them for it and then get the Lenovo rep monitoring this thread to update their case notes so you can call back.

There are no case numbers for support phone calls in certain countries and if you have an issue with your laptop you just call the hotline.

If the hotline persons thinks your issue is an actual issue then a person will come to fix your laptop.

If the hotline person thinks, for example like in this case, that you forgot your password,then nothing can be done.

And nobody cares what is written somewhere in the Internet.

This is how it works, very simple.

Of course, I am happy to be proven wrong by other facts.

Alazef
Punch Card
Views: 829
Message 75 of 108

@AJH162 wrote:
It's worth pointing out that a restore of default bios settings would not have helped in the 1.22 case as a default restore does NOT clear security settings, including the power on and supervisor passwords, so the problem would still have occurred.

Please read well! I already did on my new laptop! I said restore your BIOS to deafult *before* updating to BIOS 1.22. 

Alazef
Punch Card
Views: 832
Message 76 of 108

@BrokenThinkpad wrote:

@AJH162 wrote:

There are no case numbers for support phone calls in certain countries and if you have an issue with your laptop you just call the hotline.

If the hotline persons thinks your issue is an actual issue then a person will come to fix your laptop.

If the hotline person thinks, for example like in this case, that you forgot your password,then nothing can be done.

And nobody cares what is written somewhere in the Internet.

This is how it works, very simple.

Of course, I am happy to be proven wrong by other facts.

I feel your pain since this issue began Smiley Sad

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 696
Message 77 of 108

Just to ensure that people know who to contact where:

Outside of China:

Please select your product & country on the Support Phone List
https://support.lenovo.com/supportphonelist

China:
Phone support can be reached by calling 400-100-6000

Andy

English Community Leader
Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points 
Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star below their post awarding them Kudos

Please don't ask me questions by Personal Message; questions belong in the forums.

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Język Polski    Moto English

mikew3
Punch Card
Views: 677
Message 78 of 108

As a 10+year Thinkpad user, I am quite disappointed to see the response from multiple Support agents towards the OP of this topic. A screwup of this magnitude, of course the user is frustrated and understandably so, and none of the agents have the decency to give an answer to some simple questions. The original target of the question doesn't even address or acknowledge the questions, and ignores them entirely. The one agent who does acknowledge the question simply says, "that's not how it works." The user reported the problem a WEEK AGO, received confirmation that the problem exists, seemingly hasn't been able to use his machine, and still has no progress. Mind boggling. 

Lenovo might need to do some more training for their support reps. The funny thing is that another user claimed that CS is supposed to be the bridge so that the engineers can work on the solution. You'd think people with the title of "Customer SUPPORT" would have the chops for dealing appropriately with customers. I would imagine the engineers would not have been so flippant as the CS reps have been. 

I have no relation, and only found this issue through a post on reddit. 

BrokenThinkpad
Punch Card
Views: 664
Message 79 of 108

@Andy_Lenovo wrote:

Just to ensure that people know who to contact where:

Outside of China:

Please select your product & country on the Support Phone List
https://support.lenovo.com/supportphonelist

China:
Phone support can be reached by calling 400-100-6000

I called the hotline "400-100-6000" already multiple times, but there is absolutly no progress.

The core of the problem is that some support sites are not officially informed that there is a BIOS issue and the problem is also that this BIOS issue looks like you forgot your password, so it is easy for the hotline to just say, "well we cannot do anything if you forgot your password".

The moment this circumstance changes things can be very easy to solve.

This is why I am always asking since the beginning of this thread:

"Lenovo please tell me which support sites are officially aware of this issue."

AJH162
Punch Card
Views: 598
Message 80 of 108

@Alazef wrote:

@AJH162 wrote:

Please read well! I already did on my new laptop! I said restore your BIOS to deafult *before* updating to BIOS 1.22. 

I did read well.  I know you did a default settings restore before.  I am saying that restoring defaults before installing won't help in this case because the problem has to do with security settings.  Security settings are not reset when using the bios option to restore defaults, so they would still be set.  If you had a bios password, used the bios option to restore your default settings and then installed the update, you would still be impacted and still have a corrupted bios because the restore defaults doesn't actually clear the settings that cause the issue.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors