Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
iamjackg
Paper Tape
Views: 905
Message 31 of 48

Re: X1 Extreme Audio Popping

Sigh, there goes the theory. I'm honestly dumbfounded that something like this could happen on such a high-profile laptop. I might have to return it, since I was planning on using it for music making, and this makes the option of potentially using the built-in audio a complete non-starter.

Agrarvolution
Paper Tape
Views: 881
Message 32 of 48

I would try switching to the Window Audio drivers. They don't fix it completely, it is still noticeable for normal speech, but as soon as it gets louder you can't hear it anymore (as long as you don't try hear it). The Realtek drivers make the popping way more pronounced for me.
iamjackg
Paper Tape
Views: 860
Message 33 of 48

I tried that, but it didn't make any difference whatsoever, unfortunately.

In any case, this morning I turned the laptop back on and now there's no sound coming out of it _at all_. I tried reinstalling the drivers, but nothing helped. Windows just claims that the audio service is not responding.

Looks like this one will be going back to Lenovo and I might reluctantly stick with my XPS 15. So much for entering the ThinkPad world. Smiley Sad
iamjackg
Paper Tape
Views: 795
Message 34 of 48

To complete the story, I talked to tech support and they agreed that it's a hardware issue.

They initiated the process for an on-site repair, but it looks like the motherboard is on backorder until December 24th, which is pretty ridiculous, so tomorrow I'm going to start the return process. Hopefully they'll figure their stuff out in time for the second generation, and maybe I'll try again next year. 

HeisenPad
Paper Tape
Views: 581
Message 35 of 48

I have the popping issue on my X1 Extreme whenever I play audio whose levels drop below a certain level. It's guaranteed to happen with podcasts, for example, whenever a person pauses during speech.

It happens on Windows 10 with the Realtek driver (version 6.0.1.8531) as well as with the built-in Windows HD Audio driver.

On Linux, this also happens on 4.18, but noticed that it does not on 4.19.8 nor on 4.19.10. I've looked at the Linux driver source and found that the problem was likely fixed by this commit.

iamjackg
Paper Tape
Views: 524
Message 36 of 48

That's really interesting, and seems to point to an actual hardware issue with one of the DACs then. I wonder if there are any adverse effects with using the speaker DAC for the headphones.

ciuvak1
Punch Card
Views: 338
Message 37 of 48

Had lots of crackling and popping. It was so annoying. Trying a new driver now and suddenly the issues are gone. This is the R2.82 driver straight from Realtek. The device is not showing as "HD" anymore, just plain Realtek Audio. But there are no more issues. Amazing.
Highlighted
cagriyil
Punch Card
Views: 327
Message 38 of 48

Can you please provide the link of this driver? 

thanks!

Leindurstit
Punch Card
Views: 304
Message 39 of 48

R2.82 (on my example at least) does not resolve the popping sounds (can hear them from the right speaker,) and as a side-effect it no longer recognizes when headphones are plugged into the 3.5mm jack.  Unless there's a different version packaged elsewhere, the Realtek-supplied versions will not help.

Leindurstit
Punch Card
Views: 298
Message 40 of 48

I may have encountered some luck using the audio driver from the X1 Carbon 6th Gen released in November.

https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/LAPTOPS-AND-NETBOOKS/THINKPAD-X-SERIES-LAPTOPS/THINKPAD-...

You cannot directly run the setup for the audio driver as it will fail, but if you manually update the driver after extracting the files from the download, I'm not able to hear the right-channel popping sound when using headphones. 

I'll need to try this with more applications (Divinity Original Sin 2, for instance, had rampant popping in the right channel whenever dialog was spoken, when pauses occur at the end of sentences, etc--similarly gaps in speech in podcasts, for example.)

Your audio device should look like this when you're all said and done.  Also I turned its new 'Dolby Atmos' feature off.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors