Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
marakalastic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 355
Message 1 of 4

X1 Extreme - Bad SSD?

Hey guys,

I've had the X1 Extreme since late November and on November 24th, I already got errors for "the device /device/harddisk0/dr0 has a bad block" (5 in the exact same time) and another instance on November 26th. 

No more errors for a while until December 31st where I got "the device /device/harddisk1/dr1 has a bad block" (added an extra SSD on December 28th, boot drive that the laptop came with became drive 0 but was not physically moved) but received 17 instances of this error within minutes.

From January 7th to the end of January 8th, I've received 97 instances of this error for "the device /device/harddisk1/dr1 has a bad block". I didn't notice these errors until recently as my laptop has given me the BSOD with a MEMORY_MANAGEMENT code as well as completely locking up during Windows login (literally nothing is responding, had to force shutdown with the power button). This has happened 2 or 3 times since January 7th.

I did purchase the 3 yr warranty so I'm not worried about being able to get Lenovo to replace the SSD that came with the machine. However, I have already tried running a chkdsk and its reported no errors or bad sectors. Wondering if there's anything else I should be doing or should I just call Lenovo and not even bother? 

Thanks!

EDIT: as of this writing, received 35 more instances of this error for disk 1.

marakalastic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 291
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Extreme - Bad SSD?

Bump

Update: a little more than 80 instances have appeared from January 9th @ 2AM - 11PM, I haven't used it all day and left the laptop asleep, probably would have more if I was.

marakalastic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 286
Message 3 of 4

SSD completely failed, fails device read test in Lenovos diagnostics (f10). Additionally, the laptop only sees it as an NVMe device and doesn't display the model number of the SSD like for my second SSD. 

Spoke with Lenovo, they're sending me a new SSD (same size hopefully, otherwise need to send it back!) along with a claim number. I'll update again once I receive it

marakalastic
Fanfold Paper
Views: 239
Message 4 of 4

Final update:

Received my SSD less than 2 days after calling them, very fast! I received a Samsung SSD which is nice. Took a bit longer to receive the Windows 10 OS from them as I wanted the Lenovo software as well and didn't have another PC to download Windows 10 with.

Put in the new SSD myself, installed Windows 10 with the USB stick, everything is running just fine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors