Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Views: 88
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Extreme (Gen 1) Screen Glitching/Freezing and Boot Loop (No POST)

2020-04-27, 15:01 PM

Hello,

I've become somewhat frustrated with my X1 Extreme (20MF). I previously had to send it in under warranty for a similar problem (continuous boot loop, no POST) which was apparently remedied by replacing the RAM. Now I have a new but similar problem, except I'm outside of the original warranty period :(

The problem started on 4/17 with a screen flicker and apparent freeze. I manually powered down the computer, turned it back on, and all seemed to be fine. The following Friday (4/24) the same thing happened again. I was trying to leave work though so I manually powered it down and left. Later that night I was using Word when the same thing happened--except this time the computer got stuck in a boot loop where the fans spin up, keyboard lights up, then it powers down and restarts. It wouldn't POST. Discouraged, I thought maybe I'd gotten another bad RAM module as the current symptoms were reminiscent of the problem from this past summer. I transitioned to rewriting my lost work and completing it on my desktop.

I borrowed a laptop from a family member on 4/26 to test my RAM theory. I swapped in the 8GB 2666 MHz RAM and the X1 booted after a couple attempts--chalking it up to the new hardware and crashes. It seemed stable until it blue screened (IRQL-NOT-LESS-OR-EQUAL). The computer repeated a similar process while I was able to successfully use Windows Update (1909), Lenovo Update, and GeForce Experience to to get the latest software between crashes. Throw a second, different blue screen in that process somewhere. I successfully completed BIOS update to 1.27 during this routine. However, the operational time between glitches got shorter and shorter until the computer is again stuck in the same boot loop. The laptop would typically be sitting idle (not updating) when it glitched.

I've attached a couple pictures to illustrate one of the graphical anomalies. You can see the screen has shifted like 20 pixels to the right. There were also some color artifacts in the top left of the screen. There's a video of the behavior here. You can see the computer still seems to register input as the display comes back when I hit the space bar or use the trackpoint.

Meanwhile, the loaner laptop (a $700 Dell) is rock solid running the RAM from my $1300 X1. I've had this computer less than 18 months. Any ideas on what I can troubleshoot next or how I can get support? I fear there's something wrong with either the GPU or motherboard. I appreciate any insight or direction.

Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 2 of 7

Re:X1 Extreme (Gen 1) Screen Glitching/Freezing and Boot Loop (No POST)

2020-04-28, 12:39 PM

Update: I swapped the M2 drive from the Dell Into my X1E and it actually started to boot normally. I quickly entered the BIOS with the idea to turn off unnecessary features. First thing I came to was the Wake on LAN settings, so I disabled one setting and then the screen glitched, but I could still make out the second option. I changed it and then the computer became non-responsive. The odd thing is I can always change the backlight for the keyboard through the Fn+Space keystroke, but nothing else seems to change like muting audio or caps lock (or at least the lights on the indicators in the keys do not change.Now the laptop is back to its boot loop. I saw someone mention their battery was bad so I might try unplugging mine and see if it will run just off of the brick.

Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-04-29, 12:45 PM

Update: I disconnected the battery and tried booting with AC power only. The computer booted to a black screen. Didn't make it to the Lenovo logo. I also tried booting without the M2 drive, and it actually booted normally, but I did not enter the BIOS and the Intel boot program just repeated. (Thought it would boot into the BIOS if it couldn't find an OS). Manually powered it down, powered it back on, and then stuck in the same old boot loop.

I have noticed that it tends to boot more normally for the first boot after a major hardware change. Not sure what else I can do. Probably time to take it to a local repair shop.

Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2020-05-19, 12:25 PM

A delayed update: I was able to get the machine to boot after going through a CMOS/battery reset, and everything seemed to be working normally. Then I started Firefox, and within seconds of it starting the computer shut down. I'm thinking there may be something wrong with the discrete GPU. I guess it could be something with the RAM, as well, but I'd already tested my one 16GB stick in another laptop, and it seemed to perform fine. I need to do the CMOS/emergency reset again, and then use it to get into the BIOS and disable the GPU to test (if that's possible).

Options

1 Posts

06-01-2020

US

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 5 of 7

2020-06-01, 4:08 AM
so what happened? My laptop is doing the same thing.
Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-06-11, 14:06 PM
I tried the battery and CMOS removal with power drain and couldn’t get to POST. I’m going to try removing the RAM and SSD next to clear them. Have become disenchanted at this point. Probably will take it to a service center soon. Sorry it took so long to reply!
Options

7 Posts

07-29-2019

US

14 Signins

88 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-08-20, 23:14 PM

As an update to this, I took my laptop to a local repair shop, and they diagnosed a malfunctioning motherboard. FYI the motherboards on these laptops are $900+. I paid ~$1250 + tax for the laptop, and I'm 1.5 years into ownership. Maybe COVID is inflating the price of the motherboard some, but I honestly expect more from what is billed as a premium laptop. I expect a motherboard to last longer than 1.5 years. I expect the QC to be a little better for such an expensive laptop.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete