Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

29 Posts

04-06-2013

United States of America

35 Signins

287 Page Views

• Views: 287
  • Message 1 of 30

X1 Extreme Gen 2 - Fan Constantly Runs on AC Power with BIOS 1.29

2020-03-09, 0:40 AM

Hello,

I am currently running Windows 10 Home v1909, i7-9750H, with 16GB RAM on my X1 Extreme Gen 2. All drivers are updated except for Synaptics Audio's, due to an ongoing audio/microphone jack issue.

After I installed the latest BIOS update (v1.29, found here), I noticed that the fans now quietly run non-stop while on AC power. 

I have tried changing the power settings to passive cooling policy and disabling Intelligent Cooling, both with no effect. The only way to stop the fans is to unplug the adapter and let it run on battery; they turn on again when plugged in.

Is anyone else experiencing this, and is there any way to get them to only start when necessary, or is this a bug with the latest BIOS?

Edit: Sorry about the message tags--is there any way to remove them?

Options

232 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

253 Signins

2094 Page Views

• Views: 2094
  • Message 2 of 30

2020-03-09, 2:30 AM
BIOS 1.29. I am having the same problem, but only when I am using a secondary display on HDMI. Worst notebook ever. And even worst support too.
Options

29 Posts

04-06-2013

United States of America

35 Signins

287 Page Views

• Message 3 of 30

2020-03-09, 6:05 AM
Sorry to hear it's affecting you, too. :( Mine starts up immediately after turning it on, and then it stays on unless I unplug the adapter. Was yours fine on 1.28, too?
Options

5 Posts

10-22-2019

United States of America

9 Signins

59 Page Views

• Views: 59
  • Message 4 of 30

Re:X1 Extreme Gen 2 - Fan Constantly Runs on AC Power with BIOS 1.29

2020-03-10, 11:42 AM

I have just updated my X1 Extreme 2nd gen.

No fan noise for me.

Mine is "undervolt" with Intel XTU.

I have had 2 issues since the beginning

• Jack earphone is very loud when it is  'hot plugged'
  • Battery drains (~5% per day) when it is 100% shutdown

I am still waiting for some fixes for this 2 issues.

Options

27 Posts

09-07-2019

Ireland

32 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 5 of 30

2020-03-11, 16:50 PM

I have this issue too, starting with firmware 1.29. If it was just the sound of air that would be fine, however one of my fans, and yes it seems just one of them, has a distinct pitch. Not a high pitch, more like a purring cat. Working from home and coming from a silent T520 it's kind of annoying.

I don't suppose anyone has tried downgrading the firmware? It doesn't seem like a great idea with all the CVE and microcode fixes in the latest one.

How is tpfancontrol these days? Is there a version that works on the X1 Extreme G2?

Swapping the fan might also be a solution in my case, though not something I fancy on a brand new machine.

Why the firmware has to hardcode this to ignore all Windows and BIOS user adjustable settings is beyond me. At least give us some options to play with! From the patch notes: It was done to avoid the machine frying your lap. That's all! No technical overheating or longevity reasons. Ironically, when you have the machine on AC, you're also more likely to have it on a desk. On battery it will still fry your lap. Bit of a logic error from the firmware programmer, if you ask me.

Options

29 Posts

04-06-2013

United States of America

35 Signins

287 Page Views

• Message 6 of 30

2020-03-12, 12:06 PM

I have just updated my X1 Extreme 2nd gen.

No fan noise for me.

Mine is "undervolt" with Intel XTU.

I have had 2 issues since the beginning

• Jack earphone is very loud when it is  'hot plugged'
  • Battery drains (~5% per day) when it is 100% shutdown

I am still waiting for some fixes for this 2 issues.

Good to hear your X1E2 was unaffected by the BIOS update, KingKong75--sorry that you've had the other two problems to deal with. :(With your earphone problem, is it very loud when you first plug it in, but adjusting the volume corrects the loudness? If so, it may be the same problem I have had for the past four months. You can try to roll back to the 9.0.266.0 driver to see if it fixes it: from Device Manager, choose to update driver -> browse computer -> pick from a list of available drivers.

edit: blockquote added for less confusion.

Options

29 Posts

04-06-2013

United States of America

35 Signins

287 Page Views

• Message 7 of 30

2020-03-12, 13:17 PM

I have this issue too, starting with firmware 1.29. If it was just the sound of air that would be fine, however one of my fans, and yes it seems just one of them, has a distinct pitch. Not a high pitch, more like a purring cat. Working from home and coming from a silent T520 it's kind of annoying.

I don't suppose anyone has tried downgrading the firmware? It doesn't seem like a great idea with all the CVE and microcode fixes in the latest one.

How is tpfancontrol these days? Is there a version that works on the X1 Extreme G2?

Swapping the fan might also be a solution in my case, though not something I fancy on a brand new machine.

Why the firmware has to hardcode this to ignore all Windows and BIOS user adjustable settings is beyond me. At least give us some options to play with! From the patch notes: It was done to avoid the machine frying your lap. That's all! No technical overheating or longevity reasons. Ironically, when you have the machine on AC, you're also more likely to have it on a desk. On battery it will still fry your lap. Bit of a logic error from the firmware programmer, if you ask me.

Hi joc123, sorry to hear that it's affecting you too, and that one of your fans is purring on you. One of my fans may be louder than the other, too.

I have been contemplating rolling back my BIOS to 1.28, and I just tried it out. As far as I can tell, the flashing process went without issue, though I don't know if this may have revived the missing keystrokes others have experienced. I can confirm that the fans will revert to their old behavior from the downgrade. 

I don't use tpfancontrol so I can't comment on it, but I recall seeing modded releases to accommodate dual-fan models.

I saw the update notes/readme for 1.29, and I am equally confused by their logic. I also tried to change the BIOS-related power settings, and even those failed to stop the fans from spinning while on 1.29. I did appreciate that the X1E2's lowered thermals, but this change in fan behavior after so long was jarring. Out of an caution as this is my first ThinkPad, I worry that having the fans running constantly may also harm them in the long run.

Options

27 Posts

09-07-2019

Ireland

32 Signins

247 Page Views

• Views: 247
  • Message 8 of 30

2020-03-15, 3:13 AM

I took the dual-fan TPfancontrol code from github. As far as I can see it should work on the Gen 2, though the change for two fans lacks error handling. At any rate, because one of my fans is very noisy, I was interested in turning it off, while leaving the other one running. I have succeeded in doing that and the idle package temps are around 45C, i.e. just fine. It's also super quiet. I think my noisy fan may have a bad bearing.

I also found out something really interesting while testing with Intel XTU. If you leave the BIOS in charge during the CPU stress test, the machine will power limit throttle down to 35W and sometimes even 15W. As a result, temperatures fall and the machine eventually speeds up again. However, if you manually set the fans to near full blast (setting 5), the temperature mostly stays below 70C (with a slight undervolt) and the machine never throttles down. It stays at or near the 45W power limit.

Several things are weird about this. XTU never says the CPU is thermal throttling. The CPU is rated at 100C Tjunction and, while I had Speedfan installed for a while, it indicated CPU core temperatures that were lower than the package temperature. Unusual, if you ask me.

It looks like the BIOS is changing the configurable TDP down, based on temperature, long before the CPU could get fried. This could be a good thing for the longevity of the machine to be honest. I also recall reading that it may vary with BIOS VT-d settings for some reason. E.g. the BIOS will let the machine run hotter depending on some seemingly unrelated BIOS settings. Another way, though, seems to be running the fans constantly high. What's quite incongruous about that is that the BIOS fan policy doesn't seem to match the TDP down policy. They could very easily configure it to ramp the fans up and keep the machine as cool as it (for some reason) needs to be, thus avoiding the TDP down states in a pure CPU test (without a GPU load). Would get them a much better performance review from the likes of notebookcheck.com.

Options

2 Posts

03-17-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 9 of 30

2020-03-17, 12:21 PM

I have the exact same problem but with a Carbon X1 7th gen... Since the BIOS update, my fan ramps up and stays at max level as long as I keep AC plugged in. As soon as I unplug it, fan goes back down... 

Options

1 Posts

03-26-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 10 of 30

2020-03-26, 7:48 AM

FWIW, I have exactly the same problem.

I upgraded to BIOS version 1.29 and now the fans are always on when running on AC power.

The fans hover around 2100rpm, even when the machine is cool (36C). It's not loud, it just seems unnecessary.

As soon as I unplug AC power the fans turn off (and only turn on when the machine gets hotter - as it should be).

I hope the next BIOS update is going to have a fix for that.

-- Lars

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms