Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Eason85
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 575
Message 1 of 10

X1 Extreme Gen 2 - Power/Battery firmware issues

Hello,

I have experienced some strange behavior of the X1E G2 multiple times regarding its reading of the battery that may be firmware related. I am not sure it is a hardware fault because I have noted at least one other person online with the exact same issue:

Symptom 1: When waking from sleep on battery, a partially-discharged battery is read by the OS as being fully charged, but at a severely diminished capacity of what it should be. Estimated time remaining says something like 19 minutes, though it should be 3-4 hours. Upon sleeping and waking the notebook again, the battery gauge is read correctly.

Symptom 2: Despite being plugged in, the notebook suddenly warns of critical battery level (<5%) and hibernates itself. Upon starting back up, the battery is at full charge as usual.

I suspect there is a problem with the battery/firmware on this machine, or else me and at least one other person have the exact same defective battery.

Ruv
Paper Tape
Views: 486
Message 2 of 10

Re: X1 Extreme Gen 2 - Power/Battery firmware issues

Hello,

i have also the same extreme G2, since 2 days and yesterday my battery was in almost 2 hours empty, today is not charging more than 49%.

I noticed yesterday that, from 99% to 100% will take more than 30 minutes.

Hope that someone will react asap because for such a expensive laptop should be also a quick respose. 

Thanks.

Eason85
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 469
Message 3 of 10

From 99 to 100 should take that long. It is not healthy to charge the battery to that extent, so it charges very slowly. Not charging past 49 when you haven't set vantage to do so is strange

Ruv
Paper Tape
Views: 423
Message 4 of 10

I didn´t set up nothing...btw..i am really dissapointed with this lap...the music on spotify/Youtube has lags or breaks, Windows Hello with IR Camera is not working properly...
Come on guys...we are the QS guys on such a expensive laptops?

Great Job!
StCredZero
What's DOS?
Views: 315
Message 5 of 10

I just got a new X1 Extreme gen. 2 laptop last week and I am also experiencing an odd issue where my battery doesn't charge past 47%. I've tried installing Lenovo Vantage, then setting the battery/power options, and that doesn't seem to help.

Update: I just rebooted, and now it shows as 100% charged. I will see what happens to the battery indicator when I use Sleep mode again. I think that's when it got stuck on 47%.

zak0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 261
Message 6 of 10

Hi,

I've been having the same issue regarding the computer reporting critical battery level despite being plugged in and at a full charge. This is seriously annoying, as it happens very suddenly without any prior warning.

I'm on Windows 10 (all available updates installed), BIOS 1.27.

When this happens, an error event (screenshot of which is attached to this post) is visible in Windows Event Viewer followed by "Critical battery trigger met" event followed by system taking critical battery measures (sleep in my case, hibernate in original poster's case).

Lenovo, PLEASE look into this. This is very bad on a production machine.

Fellow users, please post any additional information you have, or just report on this thread if you're experiencing the same issue.

-Z

zak0
Fanfold Paper
Views: 245
Message 7 of 10

Decided to look at the Event Viewer again now that this happened for the third time today. This time the ACPI error event happened 15 minutes before the "Critical battery trigger met" event.

And again, the laptop was plugged in and at full battery, and has been plugged in pretty much the entire day.

See the screenshot:

critical_battery.png

MGjolena
Blue Screen Again
Views: 233
Message 8 of 10

Hi,

I have also the X1 Extreme Gen 2 for 2 days now. I haven't experienced the battery issue that other users have but the laptop is very laggy (scrolling, videos, moving windows etc). I noticed that whenever I move the mouse GPU utilization goes up to 50%. The task that it appears using the GPU whenever there is mouse movement is "Desktop Window Manager".

okko
Fanfold Paper
Views: 209
Message 9 of 10

Hey,

I've had exact similar experience with my X1E2 as MGjolena. The laptop feels very laggy, especially when I have a video or stream running the device feels very sluggish.

Even bigger problem maybe relating to this laggynes is that the keyboard is missing keystrokes all the time. I do much of typing work with my laptop so at this time I need to use an external USB keyboard to type. The external keyboard haven't missed a keystroke yet.

Peterpanman
Blue Screen Again
Views: 172
Message 10 of 10

I do have the same issue with the wrong battery status reported after sleep/hibernate. Also the windows hello IR camera doesn't work in bad lighting conditions, it seems the webcam takes a while to adjust brightness which causes windows hello to fail often.

I also have an issue where using low windows sound levels the speakers are quite loud for the first half second when unmuting audio. More people have reported this, but a fix of resetting windows didn't work for me. Strangely using a higher windows system sound setting and lowering the application volume setting doesn't seem to have this issue.

As for missing keystrokes: disabling usb selective suspend in the powerplan is a workaround that fixed the missing keystrokes for me, seems like the keyboard goes to a low power state or sleep that caused some keystrokes to not register.

After disabling usb selective suspend I have not noticed any missed keystrokes.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors