Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 21 of 44

Re:X1 Extreme Gen 2 cover has a screw which had ripped the threads

2021-02-04, 23:00 PM

@ Mikey Em wrote:

I know this is an old thread ... this stripped screw

There' your problem right there...

Sorry, but I don't undertsand this comment...

Options

38 Posts

10-26-2019

United States of America

45 Signins

585 Page Views

• Views: 585
  • Message 22 of 44

2021-02-05, 7:55 AM

It's not the screw that has mangled threads. The screw hole doesn't have threads for the screw to lock with. It's essentially been reamed out to the outer diameter of the screw threads.

The screw is steel and the midframe is made from pot metal or magnesium.

Like I said previously the designers should have used brass inserts molded into the substrate. But in some weird cost cutting scenario they omitted this to probably save $1 per unit. In the end of the day it's all politics and about the bottom line. We'll provide you with a "high quality" laptop for the "right" price. Of course they can do better and make it last longer but from a cost standpoint they'd rather sell you a new laptop every XYZ years instead of have you buy one once every 10 years. What's interesting is that cheaper laptops use brass inserts. Go figure.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 23 of 44

2021-02-05, 12:54 PM

@ spiffy72 wrote:

@ Mikey Em wrote:

I know this is an old thread ... this stripped screw

There' your problem right there...

Sorry, but I don' undertsand this comment...

Oh man.  I can't believe I didn't catch that.  As a dad, I should have recognized the "dad joke" there!

So take my "bah-dum-tiss" some 12+ hours later... :-)

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 24 of 44

2021-02-05, 13:02 PM

@ patg84 wrote:

It' not the screw that has mangled threads. The screw hole doesn' have threads for the screw to lock with. It' essentially been reamed out to the outer diameter of the screw threads.

The screw is steel and the midframe is made from pot metal or magnesium.

Like I said previously the designers should have used brass inserts molded into the substrate. But in some weird cost cutting scenario they omitted this to probably save $1 per unit. In the end of the day it' all politics and about the bottom line. We' provide you with a "high quality" laptop for the "right" price. Of course they can do better and make it last longer but from a cost standpoint they' rather sell you a new laptop every XYZ years instead of have you buy one once every 10 years. What' interesting is that cheaper laptops use brass inserts. Go figure.

I know it's the hole and not the screw.  I should have used the term stripped screw hole there.  I am actually wondering if it might be possible to fill the hole in the palmrest with epoxy, and then drill/tap it to the size of the screw (assuming Lenovo still refuses to fix it).  I spoke with them again yesterday and even the second tech initially said that he didn't think this would be a cosemetic issue, but after reading the notes the first guy put in the case number, he changed his mind and agreed that they probably wouldn't cover it under warranty.  He left it open to asking a higher authority, but for now it looks like all they are willing to do is to have someone come out and replace the thermal assembly.  I am on my own for the battery issues - and the source he recommended for getting a replacement is out of stock with no ETA for new stock arrival.  

This experience sours me again on the Thinkpad brand.  I had a much better experience with a Lenovo Legion desktop that I just had serviced earlier this week.  I had a technician out to replace the mobo on that machine within 36 hours of my chat session with them (which was around midnight Sunday night).

Options

38 Posts

10-26-2019

United States of America

45 Signins

585 Page Views

• Message 25 of 44

2021-02-05, 14:41 PM

If the epoxy or JBWeld will stick to the metal then yes it would work.

You could use a slightly larger screw and cut new threads but you run the risk of exceeding wall thickness. If the boss splits you're screwed....well not really screwed but def in for a reconstruction session with epoxy and a Dremel.

You could use blue loctite on the existing screw to take up the gap between the screw threads and the receiving hole.

First you've have to see if the epoxy will adhere to this substrate. If it has a poor hold you could cut or drill small holes around the original boss and fill with epoxy to anchor.

If it's true magnesium you could drop hot metal into the hole and redrill. This would be optimal but I'm sure it would blow a hole clear through the other side.

I'll figure something out and post it on my blog and msg everyone. I also have a fix for the rattling bottom cover due to this screw being messed up.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 26 of 44

2021-02-06, 20:55 PM

@ patg84 wrote:

If the epoxy or JBWeld will stick to the metal then yes it would work.

You could use a slightly larger screw and cut new threads but you run the risk of exceeding wall thickness. If the boss splits you' screwed....well not really screwed but def in for a reconstruction session with epoxy and a Dremel.

You could use blue loctite on the existing screw to take up the gap between the screw threads and the receiving hole.

First you' have to see if the epoxy will adhere to this substrate. If it has a poor hold you could cut or drill small holes around the original boss and fill with epoxy to anchor.

If it' true magnesium you could drop hot metal into the hole and redrill. This would be optimal but I' sure it would blow a hole clear through the other side.

I' figure something out and post it on my blog and msg everyone. I also have a fix for the rattling bottom cover due to this screw being messed up.

I have ordered the necessary tap and some JBweld.  I am also modeling up some small 3D printed fixtures that I think will help with getting the epoxy in the hole (and keeping it out of the area around the screw boss.  I also have a model for a drill fixture to locate the drilled hole accurately in the center of the screw boss.  Still tweaking the designs here, and probably won't attempt the expoxy fix until I get my replacement bottom cover (ordered via warranty).  I want to make certain that a new screw (or a possibly longer screw from another location on the bottom cover) doesn't fix the issue.

I think there are viable holes at the bottom of the hole, so if I can get the epoxy all the way down to the bottom, those threads should hold it in place if it flows into them (at least vertically it should hold - no guarantees that it wont spin like a screw when i drill it out or tap it).

I will follow up with results as well.

Options

38 Posts

10-26-2019

United States of America

45 Signins

585 Page Views

• Message 27 of 44

2021-02-06, 22:47 PM

If you're going to drill the boss out and put JBWeld in there make sure you anchor the JBWeld somehow. Use alcohol to prep the hole. You could probably use a pin vise to drill out a small hole then tap it.

Too bad there wasn't some sort of way to put a stud in and use a C clip to hold it in from outside the back cover. That would require modifying the rear cover though which is pointless from a resale value.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 28 of 44

2021-02-06, 23:58 PM

As I have been experimenting, I am looking at one other possibility...

I pulled the screw that holds the bottom cover on the right edge of the laptop (when laptop is in the "in-use" position), and swapped it with the problematic trackpad screw location.  I can get that screw to "bite" and snug up in the trackpad location, improving the fit a bit, but there is still some play in the bottom cover (it can be pressed tighter into the case with the screw snug, and you can visibly see this movement).

So I am printing a variety of washers with a 5mm OD and 3mm ID - which I think should fit in the pockets of the screw head recesses in the bottom cover and still allow the small shoulders of the screw to pass through.  I am printing 0.15, 0.30, 0.45, and 0.60mm thicknesses (these are TINY!).  If they turn out OK and I can remove them from my print bed without damaging them, I will try the various sizes and see if one of them is the right thickness to tighten things up.

The side location screw appears to have about 1 more thread than the trackpad screw location, so I think it is able to reach the still-threads further down in the screw boss near the trackpad.

I took some photos of the screw (including a USB-microscope shot of them side by side - which shows the loctite residue on the trackpad screw).

EDIT:  I will be interested to see if the screw in the trackpad position of the new cover that is on the way is any different (maybe a longer thread than the current one?)...

Stay tuned...

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 29 of 44

2021-02-06, 23:59 PM

Images (continued):

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 30 of 44

2021-02-06, 23:59 PM

Images (continued):

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms