Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Views: 150
  • Message 31 of 44

Re:X1 Extreme Gen 2 cover has a screw which had ripped the threads

2021-02-06, 23:59 PM

Images (continued):

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 32 of 44

2021-02-07, 0:08 AM

EDIT:  I have since reversed the placement of the washers - the 0.45 washer is now in the TRACKPAD LOCATION, and the 0.60 washer is in the RIGHT SIDE location.  See comment I posted later on in the thread for the reasoning.

The print job is done, and I tried the thickest washer (0.60) in the trackpad position and that seemed to work nicely!  I used the 0.45 thickness washer in the right edge position.

This really solved the issue for me (at least 90% of it)!  Still need to figure out how to tighten up the corner on the front right (in use position), but I will look into that when my replacement battery and bottom cover arrive.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 33 of 44

2021-02-07, 1:28 AM

One last update/comment (for now):

I have switched the thicknesses of the washers - I used the .45mm washer in the trackpad location, and the 0.60 washer in the right side edge location.  I didn't trust that the screw was engaging well in the trackpad location, so I swapped the washers to get a tiny bit more engagement in the threads.  I can't feel the trackpad location screw bottoming against the shoulder, and I don't want to strip it any worse than it is now.  The other screw in the right side does bottom on that shoulder, so that one should be fine.  I will wait and see how the screws in the new cover look and determine if one of them is a better option than the ones I have now.

If you attempt this (you will need access to a 3D printer or access to some washers of the sizes I described), make sure to choose the correct screw to swap positions with your trackpad screw location!  The screw location on the right side of the laptop (in-use position, but left side of the image I posted previously, which was of the bottom of the laptop) threads into another boss in the case, and doesn't interface with the logic board at all.  The screw on the opposite side (left side when in the in-use position) threads into a hole that falls on the logic board.  That screw will NOT work.  The screws along the back edge (3 of them) appear to lack the shoulder feature shown in the images of the screws posted previously, and the middle screw on the bottom cover threads into an insert on the logic board.  The ONLY screw that this has a chance to work with is the one I showed in my photos!!

As usual - try this at your own risk!  I don't think it can cause any damage other than possibly stripping out the trackpad screw hole worse, or possibly stripping the right-side edge location hole (since you are using the same super-short thread length screw that seemed to have issues in the front edge trackpad location).

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 34 of 44

2021-02-16, 21:29 PM

Continuing my quest to fix this screw...

I got the battery today (thanks a bunch to the USPS for taking 10 days to get a package from Miami to Michigan), so I proceeded with my plans:

1.  Tried just installing the new bottom cover in the hope it would solve my issue.  It didn't.

2.  Took the brand new screws from the same right edge and center trackpad location and tried those in my old cover (just to maintain the serial label).  If anything, this was actually worse than the results of my previously described test (with right edge screw in trackpad location and trackpad screw in right edge location + my custom printed washers).

3.  Decided to just go all-in on the epoxy fix.

I have applied the epoxy with my custom printed templates, and I am waiting for it to cure (tomorrow).  I took a few photos of the process so far.  

Apparently I can only upload one file per post, so additional pics will follow.

I already applied the epoxy, removed my template, cleaned it off, and replaced it for the photo-op.  Photo 2 shows the back of the template with the notches to clear the ribs in the chassis.  Photo 3 shows the drill jig for drilling the hole in epoxy (not used yet), and Photo 4 shows the back of the drill jig.  

I will share my results tomorrow afternoon after the surgery is attempted.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 35 of 44

2021-02-16, 21:29 PM

Back of epoxy template:

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 36 of 44

2021-02-16, 21:30 PM

Drill jig (top) - not installed yet - waiting for epoxy to cure:

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 37 of 44

2021-02-16, 21:31 PM

Bottom of drill jig:

Also, I might try to make a similar part for the tap to keep it square to the chassis (coming soon).

EDIT:  Forgot to attach photo.

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 38 of 44

2021-02-17, 23:48 PM

Well - I think this approach worked.  

After drilling the epoxy with a 1.6mm hole (technically used a 1/16" bit which is virutally identical size), I used a bottoming M2 tap and tapped a hole in the epoxy filler.

I then ran one of the loose cover screws (equivalent to the size of the one I am using in the trackpad front edge location after swapping the RH edge and front edge screws), and it seemed to work well - bottoming out the flange of that screw on the top of the screw boss.

I am still using my spacer washers as these seem to help draw the cover tighter against the chassis.  I didn't overtighten this screw - just got it snug to a point where the cover felt tight against the chassis and didn't move up/down.  I am sure that if I over-tighten that screw it will strip the epoxy threads out easily - especially with this very fine screw pitch and size.

Series of photos follows.  If anyone is interested in using the printed fixture models I can put them on thingiverse with a little tutuorial writeup.  I am heading out of town but can do this when I return next week.

Pic of the drill jig:

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 39 of 44

2021-02-17, 23:48 PM

Pic of drilled hole:

Options

34 Posts

09-08-2020

United States of America

22 Signins

150 Page Views

• Message 40 of 44

2021-02-17, 23:49 PM

Tapping operation with tap jig (just to keep it reasonably perpendicular to the chassis):

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms