12-11-2019

AT

11 Signins

100 Page Views

• Views: 100
  • Message 321 of 910

Re: X1 Extreme Gen 2 missing keystrokes

2020-01-28, 7:46 AM

Got a mainboard replacement - issue is still present. Interestingly, besides the missing keystrokes I've also had scrambled keystrokes - e.g. when typing "ab" it would sometimes write "ba". Now with the new keyboard this seems to have changed - now it happens that I type one letter, and upon typing the next one, the previous one disappears (typing "ab" results in first "a", then "b" being displayed, but never "ab" - as if I pressed backspace after "a"). I feel like I'm going crazy.

Options

195 Posts

12-01-2019

CL

207 Signins

1769 Page Views

• Views: 1769
  • Message 322 of 910

2020-01-28, 14:55 PM
Hi,

Attention: I can confirm that this is a Hardware-design flaw.

I tested the BACKSPACE key.

If you press repeteadly the Backspace key to erase a sentence or multiple characters ON THE EDGE of the Key (left border), you will notice several keystrokes missing.

But, if you press repeteadly on the CENTER of the key, you will notice much better behavior, with even keystrokes missing but much less.

Try and you will see. The Backspace key is relevant to show the issue.
Options

2020-01-28, 15:16 PM

@Nojoloriquelme. 

No it is completely independent from that behaviour.

However today my x1 is returned from service. Seems that the problem is resolved. But to be sure I will wait some days of working before the final conclusion.

They replaced only the keyboard (and my X1 is always been Dolby atmos logoed, bought in december). One think disappointing me is that a key is lightly raised on one corner :/  (seems that someone pulled the key in some bad way).

From when FedEx retired my pc, all the journey taken 12 days.

Options

67 Posts

11-01-2019

FI

157 Signins

1140 Page Views

• Views: 1140
  • Message 324 of 910

2020-01-28, 16:03 PM

okay, test it for few days since till this day the keyboard replacement haven't fix the issue. 

Options

0 Posts

01-17-2020

US

0 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 325 of 910

2020-01-28, 19:12 PM

Hay, the slightly raised key you refer to-is it the F4 Key? The one with the mic icon?

I noticed that when I press it to turn the mic off you can see light coming from beneath the key.

Or am I looking at the key from a weird angle?

By the way, re- the F4 microphone key, it doesn't actually turn off the mic!

You can only turn off the mic or disable it in microsoft settings-Manage Sound Devices, click on it, and you see it under Input Devices: Mic disabled.

I notice that this is the same as the 2018 Thinkpad keybord I used to have.

But that keybord didn't have the missing keystroke problem we are having in the X1 Gen 2.

Have people tried changing their default keyboard to another countries or region and then switch it back to your region?

I know that it's not a sophisticated fix, but often with these issues, simply switching or turning things off and on fix the problems.

KB

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 326 of 910

2020-01-28, 19:29 PM
I can confirm the mic key will have light illumination from below and is clearly visible when the key is pressed. I think that's normal as the LEDs that illuminate the keyboard are physically below the keys, so when there is the natural gap between the key and the tray you will see the light coming through. That happens on most keys on the keyboard depending on angle of view.

I have not tried changing the keyboard to other regions. Engaging support and looking for a real solution here.
Options

195 Posts

12-01-2019

CL

207 Signins

1769 Page Views

• Views: 1769
  • Message 327 of 910

2020-01-28, 19:42 PM
I don't think the language change would work because this happens on BIOS too.

Can anybody try my test with the Backspace key?

If you press on the left edge of the key, you will have more misses than pressing the center.

Or my keyboard is also damaged....
Options

25 Posts

11-20-2019

US

87 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 328 of 910

2020-01-28, 19:43 PM

Well, after a long time I received today an email from NA case manager saying they placed an order to send me a replacement. No further details were given so I do not know exactly how they are going to proceed from here on, as I still have my laptop. I dn't know how or when they will request to send the old machine back and also don't know if they kept all the features and customizations (and of course the guarantee I initilly bought) in the replacement. @TomDenmark did you manage to get what you asked for after speking to support? How did it end up for you? I will let you guys know once I receive the replacement if the problem is fixed, but I don't have any hope...

Options

25 Posts

11-20-2019

US

87 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 329 of 910

2020-01-28, 19:58 PM

I don't have that spacebar problem you mention @joloriquelme, don't see a difference when pressing in the middle or on one corner. It still misses from time to time spaces but it is not related to where I press the key on. I have a P1 though, maybe it is different. Also, if it helps, I have the Spanish layout in my laptop, so to me it is clear that this problem is beyond keys or hardware issues: Its random nature, the fact that it happens with all keyboard versions, new and old motherboards, the swithcing letters issue,  etc...To me it has something to do with the way the keystrokes are processed/interpreted by the computer.

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 330 of 910

2020-01-28, 20:45 PM

I also can confirm I don't have the spacebar problem (That I can notice at least) but I do want to add an interesting issue:

At one point I was backspacing a lot, then all of a sudden the system would continue to backspace even after my finger was lifted from the backspace key. The system continued to backspace every character until there were no more characters (I watched my creativity disappear before my very eyes). I was terrified if I alt tab it would move to a folder and start somehow deleting stuff.

When I finally tried to move to another window I noticed I couldn't use the keyboard AT ALL. Nothing. I could still move the cursor with the touchpad and click etc. But I couldn't use the keyboard at all, nothing would register. I had to restart the PC. Really weird and haven't experienced it since yesterday.

I do love the system and really hope this can get fixed so I can keep what I ordered -- but I can't live with it the way it is. That's for sure. I really don't get how such a widespread issue was able to pass QA. This is their premium flagship product.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete