01-18-2019

US

80 Signins

750 Page Views

• Views: 750
  • Message 351 of 871

Re: X1 Extreme Gen 2 missing keystrokes

2020-01-31, 21:06 PM

OK, so I got my replacement X1E2 on Monday (it had a slew of issues, main one being constant freezes, so I didn't replace it only because of the keyboard).

After using it for one week it seems that the issue is still there. I didn't type that much this week so it's safe to say there were no great improvements with different hardware. So it's either low level software (my best guess) or hardware design problem. I kept Intel SGX on, I'm not a fan of "fixing" issues by disabling functionalities.

On the bright side, freezes are gone - for now at least.

Options

29 Posts

10-11-2017

SG

83 Signins

387 Page Views

• Views: 387
  • Message 352 of 871

2020-02-01, 3:05 AM

To summarize the recent possible working solutions,

1. From alfa84 : Although most people here who replaced keyboards and even motherboards didn't resolve the issue, alfa84 finally confirmed one case that only a keyboard replacement seemed to eliminate the problem. If this is true, it is highly possible that something is wrong with the keyboard hardware or keyboard controller software (not the OS driver software, but the software programmed inside keyboard's microprocessors)

2. From joloriquelme : Do the following may help

- Install latest Intel System Drivers (>= 2.5.100.2), I believe most people will recieve this update by now, so this isn't a problem for all people, and installing this driver alone will NOT solve anything ( I can confirm this)

- Select the following two options in BIOS : Change Owner EPOCH and Disable SGX

- From loudwill, this didn't work

- From alfa84, SGX isn't disabled for him but the problem is still eliminated after the keyboard replacement

Options

0 Posts

01-23-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 353 of 871

2020-02-01, 13:46 PM

I had the Intel driver updates already and had disabled SGX. That has not helped.

This AM I generated new System Owner EPOCH and will test drive that for a few days.

Will report back. REALLY hoping to avoid a H/W replacement.

Options

4 Posts

12-15-2019

AU

18 Signins

127 Page Views

• Views: 127
  • Message 354 of 871

2020-02-01, 22:26 PM

I have now tried 3 keyboards and 2 seperate machines.

Some things I know for sure:

1. There was an "older" version of the keyboard. The keys are stiffer on that model and it loses more keys. In fact on the older version of the keyboard I was unable to type a full sentence without missing a key or two.

2. The newer version of the keyboard, which is a bit squishier, lost significantly less keys. However issue is not 100% resolved. Key loss sometimes happens.

3. For whatever reason, issue is a bit worse on Linux than Windows.

4. Thermals on the p1 gen 2 are not great, and middle of the keyboard heats up really quickly even during light use. This can be somewhat alleviated by undervolting, but still it is weird that they could not get thermals right.

I am going to sit on this new laptop for a few weeks and see if a new BIOS further improves things. I guess the thermals are what thermals are, that is not going to be fixed. Keyboard at the moment is in an "acceptable" state for me, in that I can type a forum post this long and maybe lose 1 key worst case, which is way nicer than it used to be.

Will update here.

One huge upside here is the Lenovo support in Australia have been increadibly helpful and understanding. It is a shame though that this forum is not moderated at all and that nobody from Lenovo is here providing updates. At a minimum the old terrible keyboard should be recalled.

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 355 of 871

2020-02-01, 22:49 PM

Dear Lenovo: sticking your head in the sand does not make this issue go away.

Completely unacceptable that Lenovo is not acknowledge this widespread problem to customers that have paid a premium for their highest model productivity laptop.

edit - I had to edit this because the keyboard missed a few characters in the post

Options

2020-02-01, 23:17 PM

Update:

I'm sorry to inform you that today my "repaired" X1 g2 has failed three strokes in 4 hours.

Much better than my original keyboard (that missed 1 every 15).

My original keyboard was Dolby Atmos (pc ordered on Lenovo site in december), so the newest kb can be bad as the oldest.

Options

155 Posts

12-01-2019

CL

168 Signins

1379 Page Views

• Views: 1379
  • Message 357 of 871

2020-02-02, 21:02 PM
Hi,

My laptop has been much better since the Software and BIOS changes that I had done and mentioned here.

It stills looses keystrokes, but one per hour app. Before the SGX changes, I was loosing every 5 minutes and constantly make mistakes, and my Backspace key wasn't working. Now it's hard to do a mistake.

Tomorrow I will see how it goes because I have a lot of work to do and several mails and documents to write. I will count every missed key.
Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 358 of 871

2020-02-03, 19:30 PM

Is it possible that the keyboard keys are just not sensitive enough and need to be FULLY depressed before registering a keystroke?

I've tested this myself where I can depress the key (O for example) at the bottom left corner but it will not register a keystroke and does not show the character being typed. 

Try it yourself, I think this is our problem here. This works on most if not all keys I've tried, by slowly depressing it with a corner of the key and noticing it will not register.

Options

25 Posts

11-20-2019

US

87 Signins

678 Page Views

• Views: 678
  • Message 359 of 871

2020-02-03, 19:50 PM

That is definitively not the case for my P1 Gen2. I reported in the past that even when pressing hard keystrokes are missed. What's more, once when I was trying to use the del key to delete some text (pressing and keeping it pressed), it wouldn't respond, despite me being fully pressing the key for several seconds. So if the key is not "recorded" no matter if you press hard or not, it just won't work until you release and try again (or other key).

Options

0 Posts

01-26-2020

US

2 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 360 of 871

2020-02-03, 19:55 PM
True, could be a combination of things with the keypress sensitivity being just one of them. It certainly wouldn't explain why when I pressed backspace a few times that the system backspaced my entire document and locked the keyboard out entirely.

Hmm would be nice to have Lenovo chime in that they're aware of it, working on it, and trying to replicate the issue at least at their end. Radio silence just kills me.
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete