12-08-2019

US

35 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 441 of 910

Re: X1 Extreme Gen 2 missing keystrokes

2020-02-07, 19:34 PM
@rehsd well, I was on apple for last 10 years and had literally no issues at all... Yes, last 'butterfly' keyboard was not perfect, but apple at least confirmed the issue and opened free replace program. With top case + as a bonus, assembly comes with a new battery...
And when I returned to ThinkPad after 10 years, I'm getting this... Very disappointing...
Options

93 Posts

07-28-2017

DE

130 Signins

1420 Page Views

• Views: 1420
  • Message 442 of 910

2020-02-07, 20:05 PM

Hmm, ive tested the new MacBook Pro 16 a lot. I have to say, and i dont like Apple very much, they did many things just right. Keyboard is now better and there are just no bugs. We use Thinkpads a very long time, but we also noticed, in the last few years, many things just gone wrong. Bugs, Limitations, Issues and bad quality. At the moment i dont see a reason why to select a Thinkpad if even cheap competitors doing many things better. The keyboard was/is the biggest reason to buy a Thinkpad, but atm the keyboard result (feeling is fine) is just annoying!

Options

26 Posts

01-23-2020

US

60 Signins

455 Page Views

• Views: 455
  • Message 443 of 910

2020-02-07, 20:25 PM

wrote:
@rehsd well, I was on apple for last 10 years and had literally no issues at all... Yes, last 'butterfly' keyboard was not perfect, but apple at least confirmed the issue and opened free replace program. With top case + as a bonus, assembly comes with a new battery...
And when I returned to ThinkPad after 10 years, I'm getting this... Very disappointing...

It took Apple quite a while to admit to the issue with the butterfly keyboard. Seems similar to Lenovo here. Previous MacBook... internally-known LCD ghosting issues and faulty GPU issues that took Apple a *long* time to admit to.

Options

2020-02-07, 20:50 PM

The problem is only one here. All the companies are facing the problem of miniaturization. 

Putting the stuff in a box now requires a lot more and complex tests.

All the companies are following the same expensive road, but they have to reinvent the process....personally I think that is better to reduce the available choices for the customers than give too much flexibility, or in the opposite direction is better having thick laptops to maintain the flexibility of an upgrade and a nice keyboard. Each brand must take one of these directions.

(For example the thick and cheap e495 is great)

Options

53 Posts

01-18-2019

US

83 Signins

775 Page Views

• Views: 775
  • Message 445 of 910

2020-02-07, 22:28 PM

wrote:

Probably Apple is the only more or less trustworthy brand in our days...

Well, I wouldn't go that far. They changed that ridiculous keyboard on only one model after three (four?) years. The rest of the line is yet to see the new keyboards. And the replacement you get is just the death sentence delayed. Same goes for their display flat cables. Not a question of "if" but "when".

All that on a laptop twice as expensive as what I paid for my X1E2, that has far less expandability and no alternative when it comes to other brands/manufacturers because of the propriatery OS. I don't think I will have to wait 3-4 years for Lenovo to fix this issue.

@alfa84,

I agree with the general description of common challenges these guys are facing but Apple waited so many years to fix their problem. And not only with this item. Which means once they start a production they will milk it with no disruption until the end of whatever ROI life-cycle they came up with. So if something is systematically wrong with their machine you're screwed for good. I believe PC manufacturers are more flexible. At least you can switch from one guy to another.

Options

29 Posts

10-11-2017

SG

83 Signins

387 Page Views

• Views: 387
  • Message 446 of 910

2020-02-08, 7:24 AM

I also received invitations to install the testing bios.

So I installed immediately.

In the README, it says that the testing bios version is BIOS N2OET41W (v1.28) & EC Firmware N2OHT33P (v1.20).

However, after the installation, I found that my bios version is BIOS N2OET41P (v1.28) & EC Firmware N2OHT33P (v1.20).

So I am not sure whether I installed the BIOS successfully or not, because I forgot to record down my old BIOS version before installing this one.

Anyway, after 10 minutes test, it seems to be ok now.

I tried to type some random news to MS Office (Word) and found no loss of keys.

I tried to type this post and found no loss of keys.

Before the patch, it is really not likely to have no key press loss for 10 minutes of typing interval.

I will report later after more testing.

Options

29 Posts

10-11-2017

SG

83 Signins

387 Page Views

• Message 447 of 910

2020-02-08, 9:02 AM
I have tried for more than 60 minutes of continuous typing, and found no evidence of key press loss.

- My typing speed is roughly 70+ word-per-minute

- There were 3-4 misses, for most of them I am sure that it's because of my own muscle memory of spelling couldn't keep up with this speed, e.g., the letter u was lost in the word "continuously", I am sure it's my own fault. And there were cases that I could feel that I used very little strength to press a key and didn't fully pressed the key down.

- There was only ONE miss - the letter f was missed from the word "form", that I am not sure whether it's due to me or the machine. EVEN it's due to the machine, the error rate is much less than my own mistyping rate.

The conclusion of this 60 minutes test:

Before the latest patch, there will generally be 1 letter missing for every 50-100 words on my machine, but now the problem seems to be gone. At least it's hard for me to find strong evidence that there's any machine-made keystroke loss now.

Hope this is a good news for everyone.

My BIOS version is stated in the previous post. I almost did every "solutions" previously posted, including the recent "disabling Intel SGX". Only the BIOS update solved the problem (seemingly), but I didn't undo the previous solutions yet. 

Options

0 Posts

02-04-2020

US

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 448 of 910

2020-02-08, 9:41 AM

This sounds promising!

I hope Lenovo releases this for the P1 (Gen2) keyboard issues as well for those of us with keyboard issues on that machine (afaik they are basically the same hardware, just different GPU).

Options

2020-02-08, 11:10 AM

nice to hear this

@ other guys that have installed the new firmware and continue to have the issue:

can you check if the update gone correctly?

Options

29 Posts

10-11-2017

SG

83 Signins

387 Page Views

• Message 450 of 910

2020-02-08, 11:55 AM

After several more hours of using (not serious testing), still didn't find obvious keystroke losses.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete