Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

02-29-2020

United States of America

3 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 681 of 926

Re:X1 Extreme Gen 2 missing keystrokes

2020-03-29, 0:21 AM

@Andy_Lenovo , to act as though Lenovo was actively engaged and communicating with dissatisfied customers is disingenuous at best.  When I suggested that users move complaints to a more public forum, advocating for X1EG2 users to Tweet about the problem you deleted my post here on the forum.  That is neither clear communication nor positive engagement, it's an attempt to sweep our valid complaint and Lenovo's real problem under the rug.

For the last 4 years I've purchased an average of $120,000 USD worth of notebooks per month.  Late last year I engaged with Lenovo enterprise sales and began looking at Lenovo as a possible alternative to Dell.  As someone that has personally purchased, used, and loved Thinkpads for going on 20 years I was excited by the prospect that I might switch from Dell to Lenovo.  We began our evaluation, looked at budgeting, and began testing hardware.  Between the way Lenovo has handled this issue, your actions, and the poor service we received when trying to get dead-out-of-the-box ThinkSmart 500 units repaired or replaced in EMEA and North America, we abandoned the effort.

I guarantee, that if this had been handled better we'd have continued our conversations with Lenovo sales.  I know the volume we buy isn't anywhere near Fortune 500 and doesn't move the needle much at a company like Lenovo but, I still feel like Lenovo squandered an opportunity.  

Options

1 Posts

03-29-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 682 of 926

2020-03-29, 2:04 AM

My Thinkpad P1 Gen2 has been experiencing the same issues. I immediately noticed missing keystrokes and touchpad button being ignored, but thought maybe I needed to get used to different keyboard characteristics and do harder key presses. Very different feel from my previous thinkpads. Finally sent support request!

Options

1 Posts

03-31-2020

Slovakia

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 683 of 926

2020-03-31, 8:44 AM

I have a new Thinkpad P53 (workstation for over 5000 USD) and same keyboard issues mentioned in this thread - missing keystrokes. I have read reddit threads about this issue and it's happening on many other models. So I wonder if it's a hardware issue of keyboard controller or guys from Lenovo are not able to write a normal firmware that would fix this issue.

Is here somewhere a separate thread about P53 or Lenovo focuses just to fix Extreme Gen 2?

Related threads on reddit

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/9ivh0u/thinkpad_keyboards_measurement_of_polling_lag_and/

https://www.reddit.com/r/thinkpad/comments/ekin47/the_x1_extreme_gen_2_critical_keyboard_flaw_in/

Or why you just dont release these things as opensource so someone with knowledge can finally fix this issue or at least clearly tell what is the issue? If Lenovo is hiding this then people should fill mass l aw s uit and ask them to recall their devices and finally repair so we can use it for purpose we bought it without issues. I will investigate further if we can analyze problems on our own expenses and make any possible further steps. For longer time, consumers have zero protection against incompetence of some computer producers which just waste our time by replacing one faulty piece of hardware for another one.

Options

234 Posts

12-01-2019

Chile

260 Signins

2119 Page Views

• Views: 2119
  • Message 684 of 926

2020-03-31, 15:59 PM

Hello to all,

Yesterday morning I received a new ECFW update from internal testing from Lenovo, vía PM.

I can finally confirm that the experience improved a lot, and now hardly I am having issues.

The very few missed keystrokes I am still getting are because I press the edges of the keys softly when I am writting too fast. As I said before, there is a Hardware problem with this keyboard that doesn't mark the presses on the key corners. I think a keyboard recall would be needed to resolve this.

But, now I am with a much, much better experience than before. 

I thank Lenovo for the fix, and I hope it will be generally available soon...

...and a keyboard recall: If Lenovo was famous for the keyboard experience like we are said, this is hardly a good example. My older computer (an Asus) was much better. Sadly, it BSODed 2 times a day.

Options

8 Posts

03-28-2020

Singapore

10 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 685 of 926

2020-03-31, 23:54 PM

Glad to hear it. Hope to get the new FW soon.

As for the key edge soft touch problem you described, I also noticed. It happened to me a few times. On my T480s, I never had such issues.

Options

19 Posts

02-25-2011

United States of America

25 Signins

255 Page Views

• Views: 255
  • Message 686 of 926

2020-04-01, 3:42 AM

This is good news, but I will not believe it until I try it on my computer. And don't even bother holding out a shred of hope that the keyboard will be recalled. It took this long for a software fix that didn't even require a hardware replacement. I doubt they will consider for 1 second the keyboard replacement based on the cost.

I only hope their firmware fix also resolves the occasional lag caused in the system due to the system interrupts. They rocket up to 70% of the CPU and grind the computer to a slow roll before releasing and going back to normal.

What Lenovo should do is fire their team of coders and replace all of the quality control people. How it even got to this point this far into production with so many models affected I cannot understand.

Options

8 Posts

03-28-2020

Singapore

10 Signins

50 Page Views

• Views: 50
  • Message 687 of 926

2020-04-01, 5:48 AM
Occasional lag? I haven't seen that on my X1E2. Is it a general issue too?
Options

1 Posts

04-01-2020

India

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 688 of 926

2020-04-01, 9:18 AM

Well i have had the same issue since i bought the laptop. its fairly new laptop with issues with the keystrokes. i thought maybe it was a stand lone issue but loos like a lot of your machines are facing this issue. need to come up for a solution for this its the first time i have invest a good amount of money at lenovo but there are stil quality issues.

well all the spelling mistakes are just because of missing keystrokes.

Options

29 Posts

02-26-2020

Poland

30 Signins

245 Page Views

• Views: 245
  • Message 689 of 926

2020-04-01, 9:28 AM
lol he said 'loos' xd
Options

9 Posts

01-05-2020

Netherlands

20 Signins

215 Page Views

• Views: 215
  • Message 690 of 926

2020-04-01, 12:19 PM

I just received and installed the 1.30 BIOS and guess what:

NO MORE MISSING KEYS!!!

This is awesome! Took Lenovo a while but now it's fixed. Thanks a lot!!!!!! 

(On a sidnot, evn the battery stndbytime is now fixed, TEN hors instead of FOUR. Just as advertised!!!!!! The creakng of the housing and the visible grid of the OLED touchscren is also gone now. No more ploping and cracking in the externl speakers. No more lagging!!!! And the fans stay off when the CPU isn't doig anything :-) )

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms

Most Liked Authors

(Last 7 days)