Options

34 Posts

10-29-2017

US

151 Signins

960 Page Views

• Views: 960
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Extreme Gen1 BSOD Blue Screen nvlddmkm.sys in Chrome Win 10 1809 and 1903 using secondary display

2019-10-09, 12:14 PM

My normal set up is running 2 external monitors via a lenovo dock model 40ac0135us.  Therefore, the nvidia GPU is in play.

My x1e configuration is the 4k native LCD, 32gb RAM, 1TB SSD + 2TB Secondary SSD.

I've been getting blue screen crashes consistently going to certain web pages with Opera or the latest Chrome.

Specifically, going to this site and clicking an article like the following:

https://abc7news.com/weather/tens-of-thousands-left-without-power-as-pg-e-begins-planned-power-outages/5604876/

Give it a few seconds, up to 10 or so sometimes.

Also happens pretty consistently when browsing amazon prime video titles, not watching, just browsing the titles which is where I first encountered the blue screens of death (BSODs).

Currently I'm running win 10 64bit version 1809 and have this happening.   

Over the prior weekend, to rule out any old issues on my install I did a complete fresh install on the second SSD with windows version 1903 from Microsoft via flash drive.

Windows 10 automatically installed nvidia drivers 417.35 and all other drivers in the background.     Device manager was eventually clean of any remaining unknowns.   I then installed chrome which is version 77.0.3685.90.   Not logged in to chrome, no extensions and hardware acceleration settings did not matter.  It crashes with and without it on.

Did a test in amazon prime and blue screen crash with stopcode SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED, what failed:  nvlddmkm.sys.

Installed lenovo vantage and allowed vantage to install the current nvidia driver 431.40.

Still got intermittent crashes in prime video.

Fast forward 3 days to Wednesday, I'm browsing news on the original 1809 installation and get the blue screen.   So I went into the BIOS and selected the other bootable SSD and rebooted into 1903 and tested the linked page above on the abc7news.com site and reproduced the crash every time.   

I need to know if others have this or if I have a specific nvidia GPU hardware issue that I need to resolve in the next 17 days before my 1 year on-site warranty expires.  Again, these crashes are when running on the secondary displays via the dock therefore the nvidia card is always used.

I do not recall having this issue 6 months ago when I was on 1803 or 1709 and therefore running an older nvidia driver.

I've also tried older nvidia drivers on 1809 without any help with avoiding the blue screens on these pages.

Options

2 Posts

10-14-2019

US

3 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Extreme Gen1 BSOD Blue Screen nvlddmkm.sys in Chrome Win 10 1809 and 1903 using secondary dis

2019-10-14, 13:52 PM

The only currently stable Nvidia driver as of this post (October 14, 2019), in my experience both with my personal equipment at home and also at work supporting several hundred PCs, is still version 430.86, from May 2019.

Unlike Dell, Lenovo skipped over releasing 430.86, so you will have to download that version (choose DCH type) directly from Nvidia's web site.  Definitely do not use the Nvidia driver version Microsoft includes with a clean Windows 10 installation.

Options

34 Posts

10-29-2017

US

151 Signins

960 Page Views

• Message 3 of 5

Re: X1 Extreme Gen1 BSOD Blue Screen nvlddmkm.sys in Chrome Win 10 1809 and 1903 using secondary dis

2019-10-15, 13:02 PM

Thanks for the idea, I downloaded installed and I still get the crash.  It seems to happen 100% if I'm docked to the docking station with  USB-C to display port daisy chained.   At work, I'm using a combination of one monitor via USB-C to hdmi ($75 adapter) and the other monitor is hdmi direct to the side of the x1e and I'm not getting the crash going to the same websites.

Options

2 Posts

10-14-2019

US

3 Signins

51 Page Views

• Views: 51
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-10-15, 14:35 PM

Sorry, these kinds of problems are the worst.  Go over to the Nvidia forums and it is a horror show, with just so many apparently unique circumstances that never seem to have a resolution.  Not to say AMD or Intel video drivers are any better, at least on Windows 10.

I would be sure that you have the most current Lenovo firmware installed on your X1 Extreme, never hurts to check every week for what new drivers Lenovo might have released.

I'm assuming you are doing a Clean install option, when re-installing the various Nvidia driver versions.  Since you still get the crashing with a clean install of 430.86, you might as well go back to installing the most current version 436.48.

Then, I would go and start a thread over on the Nvidia forums and see if anyone over there does in fact know what the magic might be to help with this.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/forums/support/

I don't deal with laptops+docks+dual displays, so I don't want to waste your time trying a bunch of things that I'm just guessing at.

However, I do find it interesting that you said you didn't have this problem on Windows 10 prior to 1809.  This could mean that even older Nvidia drivers were more stable, although honestly that gets to be a never ending torure, the endless search for the perfect driver version. 

On some searches, I didn't find anything resembling your exact problem here, but some similar issues suggested being sure that PCI Express / Link State Power Management is set to Off under the Power settings.  Also setting the Nvidia control panel setting 3D Settings / Power Management Mode to Prefer Maximum Performance.  Again, those threads were not for your exact situation, but those are easy enough settings to flip just to see what happens.

It's also interesting that you don't have this issue when not daisy chaining, at work.  If it were me, if that configuration is truly stable, I'd sort of concede defeat and do the same thing at home. 

Best of luck!

Options

34 Posts

10-29-2017

US

151 Signins

960 Page Views

• Message 5 of 5

2019-10-22, 11:32 AM

I did more testing at home using built-in x1e HDMI port to first external monitor alone, no BSOD.   

Added docking station using the HDMI port to second external monitor, no BSOD crash.

As soon as I added a monitor using the display port adapter on the docking station, and refresh the abc7 news site:

https://abc7news.com/weather/tens-of-thousands-left-without-power-as-pg-e-begins-planned-power-outages/5604876/

it crashes with BSOD.  In this last test, win 10 thought I had 3 external monitors, 1 HDMI and 2 display port.   So the common thread is the display port config and a few websites that are utilizing some hardware acceleration features.

For reference, I'm using 2 Dell U2415 monitors running native at 1920x1200 with one monitor daisy chained to the second monitor using the mDP functionality of the docking station and the Dell monitor mDP linking.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete