09-25-2019

DE

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Views: 60
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Extreme Gen2 (20QV) USB-C charging

2019-09-25, 6:46 AM

My Thinkpad (newest Bios 1.25) is connected to a Samsung LC34H892 monitor via USB-C. This works fine, charging works as well but only if I attach the Thinpad before turning it on. The monitor offers only 60 Watt - so charging is not super fast.

But when I reconnect it while turned on, it will not start to charge again (video signal is still working). Charging works again if I turn it off and on again (only reboot will not work).

With a LG 38UC99 monitor charging does not work at all.

I have tried four differen USB-C cables without success (with a Dell XPS 15 both monitors and all cables work in all cases).

Any ideas?

Best regards

Walarion

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Extreme Gen2 (20QV) USB-C charging

2019-10-24, 12:07 PM

Hi Walarion! 

Welcome to the Lenovo forum discussion! 

Just to confirm, are you trying to charge the external monitor on the USB-C port of the laptop? If yes, the two USB-C ports on the laptop output voltage and current of 5V and 3A only (see the specs here https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/mobiles_pdf/p1gen2_x1extreme_ug_en.pdf?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 page 4). Have you tried connecting a different device (smartphone) on the USB-C port of the laptop and check if it will charge properly? In addition, When the battery power of the laptop is below 10%, the connected USB-C accessories might not work correctly.

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

09-25-2019

DE

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2019-10-24, 12:51 PM

Hello Chris,

thank you for your reply.

I try to charge the notebook via USB-C.

Both monitors offer at least 60W via USB-C.

The notebook is charged via USB-C from the Samsung monitor if it is connected before turning the notebook on.

It will not charge if I conect it to the monitor once the notebook is running.

It will also not charge if I disconnect and reconnect it (whether it was charging before or not).

A reboot (triggered from Windows) will also not start charging.

Only a shutdown and power on helps in this case.

Connected to the LG monitor, the notebook does not charge at all.

I have updated the bios to 1.26 without any effect to this issue.

Best regards

Walarion

Options

434 Posts

08-02-2018

US

388 Signins

1696 Page Views

• Views: 1696
  • Message 4 of 7

2019-10-24, 13:13 PM

Just to confirm, are you trying to charge the ThinkPad X1 Extreme to the two monitors via USB-C port on both ends? If yes, the Lenovo ThinkPad X1 Extreme uses a 135W slim tip AC adapter and there is a possibility that the two monitors does not supply enough wattage to charge the X1 Extreme. You can check the complete specs of the ThinkPad X1 Extreme here https://psref.lenovo.com/Product/ThinkPad/ThinkPad_X1_Extreme_2nd_Gen?CID=ww:lenovosocial:20x9m6 

Regards,

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

3 Posts

09-25-2019

DE

7 Signins

60 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-10-29, 7:01 AM

Hi Chris,

the notebook is connected to to only one monitor. As I work in two different offices, I have these two monitors.

I'd like to avoid to carry the "slim" AC adapter between these offices.

My previous notebook (Dell XPS) had  similar AC Adapter with 130 watts - but it had no issues to charge via USB-C only!

And it's great to have only one cable on the desk.

The X1 is also capable to be charged via USB-C  - at least connected to the Samsung monitor.

But it will stop charging once it has been disconnect ( e.g for a meeting).

As already written: once reconnected the only way to get charging to work again is to power the notbook off and on.

So is there a chance to:

- get a solution to avoid the reboot -  as the power source is fine when powering the notebook on, but not when reattaching it

- to get charging to work on the other monitor - even if the source delivers a few watts less than the other one

Best reagrds

Walarion

Options

1 Posts

03-26-2020

CH

4 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 6 of 7

Re:X1 Extreme Gen2 (20QV) USB-C charging

2020-03-26, 13:14 PM

Did anyone find a solution to this?

I am experiencing the exakt same problem. I use a Samsung Monitor, that is able to output 65 Watt via USB-C to charge a notebook. I have a X1 Extreme and it is exactly the same.

When the X1 is turned off, I can plug in the monitor's usb-c cable, boot up the device and everything will work perfectly fine. It transfers data, shows the picture and charges my X1E.

BUT: in any other scenario, it won't charge the notebook. Rebooting, Standy or running -- it doesn't matter which state the notebooks in, it wont charge via usb-c. All other things work properly, like usb data an displaying the image.

It is very annoying that I have to turn off the notebook completely, plug in the monitors usb-c and then boot again -> LIKE LITERALLY EVERY TIME.

Does anyone has a fix for this?

Options

4780 Posts

04-25-2008

US

39297 Signins

739734 Page Views

• Views: 739734
  • Message 7 of 7

Re:X1 Extreme Gen2 (20QV) USB-C charging

2020-03-26, 14:19 PM

Hi zarkonj, What's the exact spec of your USB-C cable? Provide a link if possible.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save