Options

38 Posts

01-18-2019

US

73 Signins

705 Page Views

• Views: 705
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Extreme Gen2 - 2101: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)

2019-12-22, 16:32 PM

This is less than 1 week old X1 Extreme Gen2. I had to repair my ideapad 530s three times and wasted so much time on that so I thought let's try "professional" instead of "media" laptop.

I reused my Crucial 1TB NVME SSD that was working just fine in ideapad and stuck it in X1. What I'm seeing in X1 are random freezes, parts of the drive not being accessible, whole drive not being accessible and finally 2101 boot errors.

What I tried so far: made sure all drivers are up to date, swapping SSDs in the two slots (stock Intel 256GB with Crucial 1TB), using 1TB drive with external USB-C caddy and placing the 1TB drive back into ideapad. SSD works perfectly fine when out of X1 and creates the same errors regardless of where I place it inside the X1. I also tried some third party drive health check utilities, they all said the drive is fine and Lenovo's boot utility/system checker said the same as well. EDIT: I also tried changing Lenovo power saving plan so that disk never goes to sleep if laptop is plugged in.

Another thing I also noticed is that every time I will plug in or out either power cable or headphone jack the screen will go black for a second or two, as if I was connecting an external monitor. Not sure what is going on with this machine.

I'm trying to backup data right now and I type this on ideapad. Is there anything I can try before I return this laptop? I don't want to lose more time with shipping this machine back after I wasted so much time already with ideapad. I don't want to call Lenovo agents because I'm afraid they don't have the expertise to troubleshoot this properly and will ask me to send the laptop back or something. So I'm asking here.

Are there any logs I can check to try and figure out what the problem is? Any assistance would be appreciated.  Thanks in advance.

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme Gen2 - 2101: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)

2019-12-22, 17:46 PM

Hi MK-! Try installing the firmware update for the NVMe Solid State Drive here: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-extreme-gen-2/20qv/downloads/driver-list/component?name=Storage. Don't forget to include the Intel Rapid Storage Technology Driver form the link. After restarting, check if the issue is the same.

If yes, could you send us the OS build version and BIOS version? Let us know.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

38 Posts

01-18-2019

US

73 Signins

705 Page Views

• Views: 705
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme Gen2 - 2101: Detection error on Storage Device (M.2)

2019-12-22, 19:12 PM

Thank you for your reply Jwes.

I have downloaded them both and tried to install them. I forgot to compare the revisions but firmware update was available only for the stock Intel drive which was already up to date. I didn't have an option to update firmware on additional SSD (it was greyed out).

As for the Rapid Storage Technology driver it was up to date too.

Another piece of information. When trying to back up this drive, I will get the error "incorrect function" for some files - if the drive is inside the laptop. I just transferred all my files without a hitch by placing it in an external SSD caddy. So I seriously doubt the issue is with the drive.

I placed the drive back in before trying the drivers. I restarted the laptop and I will see what happens next.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save