10-06-2019

Portugal

21 Signins

160 Page Views

• Views: 160
  • Message 11 of 15

Re:X1 Extreme Gen2 Battery life

2020-05-05, 16:40 PM
my only other tip would be to play around advanced power settings always with TS on the side while on battery and see if anything changes/triggers C9. for ex: Wireless Adapter Settings on battery / Intel Graphics Settings on battery etc. I truly don't have the knowledge to answer your specific questions as just recently I've been trying to troubleshoot the battery life for professional reasons. I really need autonomy of +6h while working...
Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

65 Signins

721 Page Views

• Views: 721
  • Message 12 of 15

2020-05-06, 11:57 AM

So i've had some free time to retry all my steps again and decided to do yet another clean install of windows. After that i enabled a reg key to disable driver updates within the Windows Update framework, did the usual uninstall bloatware, disable background apps and then run TS

-- Gotta love Windows -- its anywhere between 4-8 hours battery life estimates a few minutes apart

I guess up next is adjusting the power saving profiles within windows then maybe re-do the TS config settings -- but i dont see how im gonna get much better than 4-5 hours (be interesting to see if this stays or gets worse, presumably like it has before after a fresh install after a week or so) -- such a huge far cry from the 11 hours advertised and this is with he laptop just sitting idle, doing absolutely nothing -- im sure it will deteriorate pretty rapidly with light browsing

Options

86 Posts

03-30-2020

Australia

65 Signins

721 Page Views

• Views: 721
  • Message 13 of 15

2020-05-11, 6:55 AM

So I'm just gonna write this up because i'm sure in a year or two when i need to remember what i did to get decent battery life i'll be keen to know all the steps involved

X1E Gen 2 - i7-9750H / 32gb ram / UHD 4k display

1. Install a new copy of Win10
  2. Before completing the OOBE on the new install follow the below steps using the below script:
    Script: https://community.spiceworks.com/scripts/show/4378-windows-10-decrapifier-18xx-19xx
    Process: https://community.spiceworks.com/how_to/148624-how-to-clean-up-a-single-windows-10-machine-image-using-decrapifier
    (OOBE > CTRL + SHIFT + F3 > Audit Mode > Run Script > Reboot (as described in the 2nd link))

3. After reboot continue with normal setup of user account

4. Install all updates / Windows Updates / Microsoft Store / Lenovo System Update

5. Download Github script to enable all power saving options

Script https://gist.github.com/Nt-gm79sp/1f8ea2c2869b988e88b4fbc183731693

6. After script is run head to your Power Options and set:

Hard Disk > AHCI Link Power Management - HIPM/DIPM > On battery > lowest

Hard Disk > Turn off hard disk after > On battery > 1 minute

Hard Disk > AHCI Link Power Management - Adaptive > On battery > 50 milliseconds

Wireless Adapter Settings > Power Saving Mode > On Battery > Maimum Power Savings
     Sleep > Allow system required policy > On Battery > No

Intel Graphics Settings > On Battery >Maxmimum Battery Life

Processor Power Management > Processor Duty Cycling > On Battery > Enabled

7. Install 'Intel Graphics Command Center' from Microsoft Store and run

Goto System > Power > On Battery and turn everything on for performance savings

8. Right click desktop and launch NVIDIA Control Panel

3D Settings > Manage 3D Settings > Preferred Graphics Processor > Integrated Graphics

9. Install Throttlestop

Settings for my Core i7-8750H (your settings will / may vary) -- triggered when going onto battery / off AC power

10. Start > Search for 'Battery Saver settings' > set the battery saver to turn on at anything below 100%
11. Settings (Modern UI) > Privacy > Background Apps (scroll to bottom left of list) > Turn off ability for apps to run in background

12. Start > msconfig > Services > Ticket 'Hide All Microsoft Services' > Check through services and see if you can disable any

Taken a screenshot of the battery life improvement -- It fluctuates between 5 hours - 7 1/2 hours of battery life varying completely on how hard it gets hit with browsing -- is very much good for 99% of my off power mains needs, this is with 10+ tabs open and using the laptop still -- Idle with nothing open sits around the 0.5 - 0.9w

I hope this helps anyone going through the battery life issues.

Options

17 Posts

10-06-2019

Portugal

21 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 14 of 15

2020-05-11, 10:47 AM

that's quite comprehensive; thanks for the thorough post.

albeit potentially less systematic than you I ended up doing the same things with similar results.

would just add that in my case upgrading the AHCI controllers appeared to be quite important (though my hardware's different).

Options

17 Posts

10-06-2019

Portugal

21 Signins

160 Page Views

• Message 15 of 15

2020-09-18, 16:33 PM

just a quick follow up...

I finally had some time to read over the documentation on TS and I went and undervolted my laptop (though conservatively as opposed to examples for same CPU seen online).

On battery life I did get substantial gains: with low to medium use I can have solid 4/5h with the battery dropping from 95 to 20%.

So far it appears quite stable both on AC and battery.

On Idle it's anywhere between 0.5 and 0.7w.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms