Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
MichaelR2D2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 380
Message 1 of 7

X1 Extreme - Heavy Throttling 0.82Ghz on Battery out of sleep

My X1 Extreme notebook (i7-8750H + 1050) throttles to 0.8 Ghz the moment it comes out of sleep and is not connected to AC.  There is no real reason to throttle to 0.82 as cpu temperature is perfectly fine & fans are not spinning. All drivers & windows updates are up to date, including the latest bios firmware, HyperV is not installed & smart cooling is disabled in vantage. The lag & slowness it causes is really frustrating and is costing me time and productivity when working on battery. 

After doing some research on this forum, it found out  that this behavior can be 'fixed' by one of the 2 in ThrottleStop:

* Disabling "BD PROCHOT" => immediately goes to 3.9 Ghz

* Enabling "Disable turbo" in ThrottleStop => immediately goes to 2.2 Ghz while it's actually a feature that is designed to not enable turbo. The battery even has a longer lifetime on this mode than the extreme 0.82 Ghz default throttle

I can not imagine that this is intended behavior by one of the +2500€ flagships of Lenovo? Why is this the out of box behavior? Why did I have to put time in this ?

@Lenovo: can we fix this another way than to use a third party app that may or may not void warranty as we have to mess around with bd prochot?

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 262
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Extreme - Heavy Throttling 0.82Ghz on Battery out of sleep

Hi MichaelR2D2! Welcome to our forums community. Have you tried disabling the CPU power management in BIOS? If not, disable then check if the issue persist. Please also understand that the battery can provide a limited power to provide a boost to all the components of your machine. Especially your computer has an i7 processor and a dedicated graphics card. It can only manage to provide power to for the components minimal function. 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

MichaelR2D2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 211
Message 3 of 7

Hi,

Sry for the delayed response.

Have you tried disabling the CPU power management in BIOS? If not, disable then check if the issue persist

=> This does not fix the issue.

I understand that the notebook cannot perform at peak performance when on battery but 0.8Ghz when not using the dedicated GPU  is unacceptable. 

MichaelR2D2
Fanfold Paper
Views: 122
Message 4 of 7

Hi Lenovo, any solution to this problem? 

Mr_Freeman
What's DOS?
Views: 85
Message 5 of 7

Any solution yet ?

I have same problem. 

In Intel XTU I see that CPU starts Thermal Throttle at 56-60 C when on battery. 

And it's only Thermal Throttle. I never see Current Limit Throttle or Power Limit Throttle even on AC plugged in.

The only thing helps is to set power profile to power save , so CPU gets less Core Voltage and can turbo to higher freq.

I would really want to have a option to control performance of my $3200 laptop.

Maybe through Vantage.

Am_Hu
Paper Tape
Views: 27
Message 6 of 7

Another one here. Weird issue.

-it was throtteling to 2.21Ghz last month

-last week it was working fine
-today it throttles again to 2.21Ghz

Laptop haven't move from a desk whole this time. Connected to Workstation Dock. All Lenovo System Updates downloaded.

Run Cinebench R15 earlier today, got score of 680

Reboot, run again and got 754 - without changing a thing! Still @ 2.21Ghz..

What's going on please?

Am_Hu
Paper Tape
Views: 24
Message 7 of 7

As soon as I wrote this, went to BIOS one last time and acctually found SpeedStep to be disabled. Dunno why, I didn't disable it, maybe Lenovo BIOS update?

Enabled SpeedStep technology, and now it's boosting to 4Ghz.

Fired up Cinebench R15.. hoping to see reflection of "mistery solved" case as some high number, but score was only 703 and CPU was running at around 2.35Ghz whole Cinebench run.

This is frustratingly weird machine. Expensive AF.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors