Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit our eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

4 Posts

09-25-2019

Finland

8 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Extreme Hybrid dock low power slowdown

2019-09-25, 10:48 AM

I have a new Thinkpad X1 Extreme that I use for development (virtual machines, remote connections, dev env suites etc.) and I experience regular extreme slowdowns (mouse cursor lags several centimeter on screen). When I looked at the processes everything seems fine (<50% Cpu, memory).

When I look at the clock speeds and power use I notice that during a slowdown the CPU clocks down to 800Mhz that is likely the cause (see left side of the picture). I also notice that power use never goes over 35W which seems very low. I have the computer connected to the Hybrid USB-C/A dock with the included USB-C-cable.

When I disconnect the dock and connect the poweradapter (135W) to the computer, it gets ~80W and no longer clocks down (see right side of the picture). So it would seem that it is not getting the 65W that is promised in the dock specs that leads to CPU clocking down. The Lenovo app shows no updates and one solution I guess is another poweradapter and have both connectedat the same time, but any ideas if there's other solutions?

Options

4 Posts

09-25-2019

Finland

8 Signins

46 Page Views

• Views: 46
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme Hybrid dock low power slowdown

2019-09-27, 5:40 AM
I tested adding a second power directly to laptop and it seems to solve the problem. However it's not ideal and the dock not really working as promised.
Options

73 Posts

08-14-2018

China

125 Signins

580 Page Views

• Views: 580
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme Hybrid dock low power slowdown

2019-09-29, 7:13 AM

Dear Customer,

P1 needs 135W power to work. Hybrid USB-C/A dock can't pass so much power to it , that is why you see the system slowdown.

We suggest to plug P1 in box power adapter into the system power port. The other choice is to change the dock into TBT Dock Gen2 (40AN).

Sincerely yours.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms