Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gfrang
Paper Tape
Views: 1,171
Message 1 of 15

X1 Extreme Intel NVMe Firmware Upgrade - NQN Duplicate Issue

I'm having issues installing linux on my second NVMe drive because of this bug: 

https://ask.fedoraproject.org/en/question/128422/one-of-two-identical-m2-nvme-drives-disabling-due-t...

This is a known issue with Intel's firmware and they have issued an update:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/28320/Known-Issue-Intel-SSD-760p-Pro-7600p-Series-SubNQN-C...

However, the NVMe Firmware Update Utility seems to not include this most recent version. Is there any timetable for when this will be merged in to Lenovo's firmware? I've read that if the drive comes from an OEM like Lenovo we should wait until they issue their own firmware

-Gabe

gfrang
Paper Tape
Views: 1,085
Message 2 of 15

Re: X1 Extreme Intel NVMe Firmware Upgrade - NQN Duplicate Issue

Or, put another way, is it safe to just use Intel's Firmware update instead of lenovos?

jbilly
Paper Tape
Views: 1,024
Message 3 of 15

Having the same issue.  The firmware update linked here does not recognize that my drives need updating.  I guess we just have to wait for intel to update? 

gfrang
Paper Tape
Views: 989
Message 4 of 15

Are you saying the linked Intel patch doesn't recognize it needs updating? Perhaps that's due to Lenovo's firmware having different version naming conventions. If you look at the version numbers contained in the INTEL directory of the Lenovo Update Utility and the version number of the most recent intel patch (7.1.1 vs 7.1.3 respectively) it seems like they are indeed different. Lenovo just released a version of the update utility on 12/18, but it didn't resolve the issue.

jflans
What's DOS?
Views: 950
Message 5 of 15

Exact same boat here - can't reliably boot to my 2nd nvme drive under linux.

nstq
Paper Tape
Views: 849
Message 6 of 15

Same issue for me. I have 2 SSD, but can only use one at a time. I cannot update the firware using Intel's tool (it thinks the firmware is up to date, probably because of the difference in versions convention as said above).

When does Lenovo plan to release a new version that contains the patch?

jbilly
Paper Tape
Views: 798
Message 7 of 15

I was saying that I believe the intel util to not be updated enough for my system. It looked to me like the reason it may not be working is that my laptop may have had newer drives/firmware than the patch from intel was capable of recognizing.

Do you have a link to the lenovo patch? I have not dried that one yet.

I contacted intel and they asked for serials taken from the drive, visually. What the flash utility printed was not enough. I have not yet opened up the case to comply. Perhaps I will after I give the lenovo patch a go.
gfrang
Paper Tape
Views: 793
Message 8 of 15

Here's the update utility. It was last released on December 18th, but from the release notes it seems like they did not include a more recent version of the Intel firmware. This is pure speculation, but I believe that since Lenovo has different naming conventions for their firmware, it may create issues using the manufactuer firmware patches; it even states on Intel's patch that devices from OEMs should use the OEM firmware once released.

nstq
Paper Tape
Views: 787
Message 9 of 15

What gfrang said. It is hard to say if this is exactly the cause, but since Intel's utility says there is no update to apply I suspect it is coming from a naming difference.

I asked Lenovo's support if they had any plan to propagate Intel's patch to their own firmware, to which they replied that they do not support Linux. I replied that this is not specific to Linux (even though the consequences of the problem can be seen there), but rather to Intel not following NVME's specs. Which can be a problem with any OS or software that relies on the NQN being unique. I am waiting for their answer.

jbilly
Paper Tape
Views: 779
Message 10 of 15

Thanks @gfrang. I think I ran this when I initially setup the laptop, but I'll have to double check. For some reason I was thinking you meant Lenovo forked the intel linux utility. I blew away the windows install so I can run that at the moment.

I'll continue the case with intel and see if they have any unreleased updates. If that doesn't pan out I guess its sell this drive on ebay and buy a new brand...

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors