12-14-2018 08:48 PM
I'm having issues installing linux on my second NVMe drive because of this bug:
This is a known issue with Intel's firmware and they have issued an update:
However, the NVMe Firmware Update Utility seems to not include this most recent version. Is there any timetable for when this will be merged in to Lenovo's firmware? I've read that if the drive comes from an OEM like Lenovo we should wait until they issue their own firmware
12-19-2018 07:04 AM
Having the same issue. The firmware update linked here does not recognize that my drives need updating. I guess we just have to wait for intel to update?
12-20-2018 06:17 AM
Are you saying the linked Intel patch doesn't recognize it needs updating? Perhaps that's due to Lenovo's firmware having different version naming conventions. If you look at the version numbers contained in the INTEL directory of the Lenovo Update Utility and the version number of the most recent intel patch (7.1.1 vs 7.1.3 respectively) it seems like they are indeed different. Lenovo just released a version of the update utility on 12/18, but it didn't resolve the issue.
12-29-2018 09:35 AM
Same issue for me. I have 2 SSD, but can only use one at a time. I cannot update the firware using Intel's tool (it thinks the firmware is up to date, probably because of the difference in versions convention as said above).
When does Lenovo plan to release a new version that contains the patch?
01-02-2019 04:07 PM
01-02-2019 04:14 PM
Here's the update utility. It was last released on December 18th, but from the release notes it seems like they did not include a more recent version of the Intel firmware. This is pure speculation, but I believe that since Lenovo has different naming conventions for their firmware, it may create issues using the manufactuer firmware patches; it even states on Intel's patch that devices from OEMs should use the OEM firmware once released.
01-02-2019 04:20 PM
What gfrang said. It is hard to say if this is exactly the cause, but since Intel's utility says there is no update to apply I suspect it is coming from a naming difference.
I asked Lenovo's support if they had any plan to propagate Intel's patch to their own firmware, to which they replied that they do not support Linux. I replied that this is not specific to Linux (even though the consequences of the problem can be seen there), but rather to Intel not following NVME's specs. Which can be a problem with any OS or software that relies on the NQN being unique. I am waiting for their answer.
01-02-2019 04:29 PM