12-19-2018

US

42 Signins

549 Page Views

• Views: 549
  • Message 1 of 8

X1 Extreme NVIDIA GPU

2019-01-02, 18:35 PM

I hve a couple of questions about the NVIDIA dedicated graphics card on my X1 Extreme. Just to note - I have the latest Lenovo provided NVIDIA drivers installed:

1) NVIDIA Control Panel only shows 3D Settings in the navigation menu on the left. I've googled it and people seem to be saying that installing the latest drivers from NVIDIA will result in the rest of the settings showing up? Is it true? Is it safe to update to NVIDIA provided drivers?

2) How do I run an application on the NVIDIA GPU? I've tried modifying the preferred GPU for an application in the NVIDIA Control Panel or right clicking on the shortcut and using the "Run with graphcs processor" option. However, the Task Manager's "GPU Engine" column in the "Processes" tab either shows "GPU 0" (Intel intergrated graphcs) or blank. Also, NVIDIA's GPU activity icon in "Notification Area" show no activity.

Options

26 Posts

11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Views: 540
  • Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Extreme NVIDIA GPU

2019-01-14, 20:59 PM

It only shows that because you are using a hybrid of Nvidia and Intel GPU's, the Nvidia GPU is currently only acting as a coprosessor to the intel GPU which is handling all the monitor output functions which is why the monitor settings are not present in the nvidia control panel.

Setting the bios to Discrete only from the default Hybrid should change that (and should allow for things like gsync from the built in display port) but would also reduce your battery time since the nvidia gpu would be used for everything. If you plan to do this make sure your using Bios version 1.17 or higher, as I read there were bricking issues before that version when changing that setting.

In the Nvidia control panel you should be able to add program exe's to the manage 3d settings area and then specify which GPU you would want it to run on.

Also if you open up Nvidia geforce experience you can use that to update to the latest nvidia driver.

Options

527 Posts

07-03-2009

AD

521 Signins

5492 Page Views

• Views: 5492
  • Message 3 of 8

2019-01-15, 0:23 AM

I can right click an app on my desktop and in the dropdown menu I have a choice to run the app with either the Nvidia or Intel GPU. My BIOS settings are still set to hybrid but the Nvidia does do the work.

Options

26 Posts

11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2019-01-15, 0:26 AM

That definitely is an option too for single launch scenarios, but I don't know if it works on games with separate launcher exe's that the shortcut launches. It might run the launcher on the dedicated GPU then launch the game back on the integrated.  

Options

14 Posts

12-19-2018

US

42 Signins

549 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2019-01-15, 3:11 AM

wrote:

It only shows that because you are using a hybrid of Nvidia and Intel GPU's, the Nvidia GPU is currently only acting as a coprosessor to the intel GPU which is handling all the monitor output functions which is why the monitor settings are not present in the nvidia control panel.

Setting the bios to Discrete only from the default Hybrid should change that (and should allow for things like gsync from the built in display port) but would also reduce your battery time since the nvidia gpu would be used for everything. If you plan to do this make sure your using Bios version 1.17 or higher, as I read there were bricking issues before that version when changing that setting.

In the Nvidia control panel you should be able to add program exe's to the manage 3d settings area and then specify which GPU you would want it to run on.

Also if you open up Nvidia geforce experience you can use that to update to the latest nvidia driver.

Well, from what I've been reading the issue is not the hybrid/discrete GPU BIOS settings but the drivers. Apparently, if one can cleanly uninstall Lenovo's NVIDIA drivers and install the latest ones provided by NVIDIA, all the rest of the options will show up in the NVIDIA Control Panel. I am just not sure if I will have any issues after installing the latest NVIDIA drivers as opposed to the Lenovo approved ones.

Options

14 Posts

12-19-2018

US

42 Signins

549 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2019-01-15, 3:20 AM

wrote:

That definitely is an option too for single launch scenarios, but I don't know if it works on games with separate launcher exe's that the shortcut launches. It might run the launcher on the dedicated GPU then launch the game back on the integrated.  

As I mentioned in my original post, I did try the shortcut option as well the NVIDIA Control Panel 3D Settings one but Chrome kept using the integrated Intel GPU. However, when I tried to launch Chrome recently using the right-click shortcut menu, I was able to get it to run on the NVIDIA card. Not sure why it didn't work before.

Options

26 Posts

11-27-2016

US

51 Signins

540 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2019-01-15, 3:22 AM

Naa its not the driver thing, thats just the difference between installing the DCH driver (which is what windows/lenovo vantage install) and the standard driver thats available on Nvidias site. Gforce experience can update both to the newest version so its not like one variant lags behind. Those 2 variants dont affect that the visable nvidia control panel settings, its definetly the hybrid thing. I have the DCH installed on this laptop (in discrete mode) and the standard on another machine, both updated to the same newest nvida driver version and they have the same settings available to them in the nvidia control panel.

In hybrid the Intel GPU is the main one that is "connected" to the display and video out ports, and the nvidia gpu is just called on demand. It cant have any display related settings in this mode since it isnt "attached" to any displays.

In discrete this changes, the intel is compleatly disabled and the nvidia gpu is the only thing seen and handles everything itself.

Options

22 Posts

04-11-2018

US

21 Signins

311 Page Views

• Views: 311
  • Message 8 of 8

2019-07-02, 6:49 AM

Hi Krause, thanks for your clarifications - some questions

When in the "hybrid" mode, can I disable the Nvidia GPU altogether so that its power consumption will be essentially zero, thereby extending the battery time very much?

So the laptop has some kind of "switch" internally between having internal monitor+2xdisplayport via usbc-thunderbolt plug+hdmi port, connected either to the Intel graphics or the Nvidia graphics, depending on the BIOS setting, right?

(If you have any idea whether the Thinkpad P1 has this same hybrid mode and the same switch to use the Intel graphics exclusively, please let me know.)

Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete