cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 2,661
Message 1 of 14

X1 Extreme / P1 Gen 2 with Core i9 and OLED cancelled?

Missing the option to select Core i9 with these models, they're also not sold with an i9 option.

When will the i9 and OLED models be available for puchase in NA?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,653
Message 2 of 14

Re: X1 Extreme / P1 Gen 2 with Core i9 and OLED cancelled?

Not cancelled.  It is very common for new models to have a limited selection of options resulting from delays from suppliers

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 2,544
Message 3 of 14

Any ideas to when the options will be available?

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 2,491
Message 4 of 14

I only have access to the same rumors that you do  If I remember correctly, that when the X1 Extreme and P1 were released last year it was a month or two before the 4k HDR screen was available.  I assume the multi-touch OLED screens and I9 CPUs are not available in quantities to support manufacturing processes.  

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
kekistan_prez
Punch Card
Views: 2,262
Message 5 of 14

The CTO config is up and still no i9 / OLED.

Seems like price fixing and inflation is up though.

Cerian
Paper Tape
Views: 2,022
Message 6 of 14

Spoke with the customer chat thingy yesterday. If they are to be believed then the P1 should get the i9-9880H around end of September / beginning of October. I specifically asked for when it will be available in Denmark though..  probably too long of a wait for me.. :-(

KyuuET
Punch Card
Views: 2,009
Message 7 of 14

Haven't seen ANY models of the X1E or P1 Gen2 in Finland, from what I heard from the distributors, generally not in any Scandinavian countries right now. It's not common for Lenovo to delay certain regions for quite so long, so I'm guessing there's some major issues with Intel delaying component availability.

I would take the i9 estimates with a grain of salt too. Intel hasn't kept any estimates for any products for the past few years.

jflam
What's DOS?
Views: 1,979
Message 8 of 14

I've been visiting the Lenovo site regularly and I saw the OLED option available with an Aug 15 delivery date last week. I just visited again today and no longer see an OLED option in the configurator. Seems like there may be supply problems with the Samsung panel? I've seen the panel in person on an HP x360 and it's lovely.

wolfsta
What's DOS?
Views: 287
Message 9 of 14

Any updates on the i9 yet? We are now on Gen 2 and nothing?  I'm holding out as long as I can.  I really want this and want to buy the fastest model possible!  But I may have to buy another round of macbook pro if it doesnt come out soon!

Highlighted
joc123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 234
Message 10 of 14

Well, if you're living in the UK / Ireland, you all got your wish, as this configuration is now available here. Unfortunately they have (temporarily?) discontinued the 4K IPS screen.

I am utterly mystified why anyone would buy an i9 / OLED configuration. Many of the latest machines appear to be (BIOS?) limited to around 30W on long multi-core runs. An i7-9850 X1 Extreme performs markedly worse than an i7-8750 X1 Extreme in Cinebench (see notebookcheck). What can the i9 possibly bring to the table in this chassis? I've seen an i7-9750 clocked to near it's 4GHz limit on YouTube. It was severely undervolted and still consumed close to 60W. That was in a chunky laptop whith leafblower fans. You're not going to come anywhere close in the X1 Extreme chassis, even if / when the BIOS is fixed. I guess it's possible the 8 cores will beat 6 in some scenarios, but I'd wait for benchmarks.

As to the OLED screen, I don't get that either. Who wants a shiny reflective screen (and make no mistake, it will be reflective)? Who wants possible burn-in issues? Who wants the lower brightness? Who needs a touchscreen in a non-convertible laptop? Yes, the black levels should be fabulous, but that's about the only upside I can see.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors