cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
erik_h
Punch Card
Views: 605
Message 11 of 16

Re: X1 Extreme / P1 Gen 2 with Core i9 and OLED cancelled?

Ditto.  As someone who has the new gen2 w/ i7 I can't see why anyone would want/need an i9 and I ertainly would not hurry to buy one while the BIOS is so limited.  It isn't going to do anything different once it throttles and it WILL throttle, faster than the i7.

wolfsta
What's DOS?
Views: 559
Message 12 of 16

Hmm, so you think the i9 is not going to be that much of a difference in this laptop? I am looking for video and photo editing capabilities mainly, I just want the fastest machine possible.  I currently have the fastest macbook pro from 2016.  Do you think I should just buy the i7 9750 and max out ram etc?  or is an i9 macbook pro going to have better thermal capabilities? USA buyer by the way.

joc123
Fanfold Paper
Views: 540
Message 13 of 16

I am just starting to look into video editing myself. The impression I have is that people use Macs for that purpose, because the OS and Final Cut are stable and well-tuned for that purpose. If that's where you're coming from, you would have to switch software. Why would you inflict that on yourself?

I wanted something simple to edit gameplay footage and tried OpenShot under Windows. Looks slick, but is unusable. Preview has severe performance problems. Titles did not work. The rendering is dog slow and does not appear to support hardware acceleration. The audio went out of sync. Waste of time. I am thinking of trying Lightworks next, but that's because I'm married to Windows. Professionals historically use Macs, because Apple have historically done a good job tailoring them for video editing and you get far less problems than you are liable to run into under Windows or Linux.

I think your most important consideration is the software you will use. Ideally you then need to find benchmarks of that software on an X1. Furthermore, does it use / will you use hardware acceleration for encoding, e.g. nvenc or QuickSync? That might make the number of cores less relevant.

If you want a truly powerful laptop, it can't also be slim. Even though Lenovo does well with their cooling solutions, you can't compete with a larger one in a chunkier laptop. Furthermore, as I am reading the latest reviews of Whiskey Lake and Coffee Lake Refresh, several seem to perform worse than the previous generation laptops on multi-core tests. This is relevant to video editing and doesn't seem to affect just Lenovo. Head over to Notebookcheck. They have benchmarks of different laptops with different software.

X1 Extreme is a nice machine. For me personally it will be the best compromise, but I am married to Windows and the pointing stick. I also game. For video work I'd go for a P1, which is the same as the X1 Extreme, except with a professional graphics card that is better tuned for that type of work and has some artificial constraints removed that may turn out relevant. On the other hand, if raw multi-core CPU performance is what matters most to you, not the graphics card, and you want a nice, slim X1 Extreme, picking up a first generation model with an i7-8750H would appear to be the thing right now, until Lenovo fix the gen2 or it's BIOS. That's because the gen 1 keeps running at a higher power consumption, probably 45W, rather than being artificially strangled.

The i9? Who knows. None of these CPUs will reach their rated maximum all-core turbo speeds in even a 45W power envelope, so it's hard to see how the i9 can do much better. It might, with 8 cores at 2.3GHz, but by how much and will it even beat an i7-8750H as things stand right now? Who knows. There's a Dell that does, but it's probably a larger chassis. Notebookcheck.net. Best resource by far.

wolfsta
What's DOS?
Views: 469
Message 14 of 16

Ill checkout notebookcheck.net,  Basically i just want the most powerful machine i can get in a laptop happy to spend money as long as lasts couple years and can do everything on it, video edit maybe games.  i do have macbook pro now but like i said i can use either os as my video editing is adobe premiere and photoshop or trying resolve also. so i like the thinkpad cause i run windows and reliably dual boot linux (majaro or arch) macbook i cant get linux installed with everything working yet, but windows and mac are ok.

But the thinkpad has nvidia so could game a little on it too, macbook no go, tried fortnite not as fast on my 2016 (maxed out) anyway.

Just want super fast, super reliable and last couple years which is why i was thinking switch from macbook to thinkpad. OS i can use anything, just need windows or mac for adobe / davinci resolve

wolfsta
What's DOS?
Views: 313
Message 15 of 16

Looks like the i9 is now live in the store!! Smiley Happy and the oled if that wasnt before..

Bard1
What's DOS?
Views: 258
Message 16 of 16

Amazed with lenovo chat system.. It can read my mind... Wanted to ask about oled screen... But beforw even asking, the cjat guy replied.. "Sorry we dont have it".. Must be a standard answer at Lenovo.. LOL

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors