US

18 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 1 of 5

X1 Extreme RAM Upgrade, Will not boot after installing RAM

2019-07-26, 4:32 AM

Hi!

I recently bought these two ram sticks so I could upgrade my Laptop, X1 Extreme Model 20MFCTO1WW: Ballistix Sport LT 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM, Patriot 16GB Viper Series DDR4 2666 MHz SO-DIMM Memory Module (I bought them at different times). So, When I received my first RAM stick, the Ballistix Sport, I installed it, and it worked great for about 5-6 months. Then, one day, when I was logged on to my laptop, I noticed that I couldn't connect to the internet despite having a four-bar connection and no errors popping up. So, I restarted my laptop, and when it started to boot, it just froze on the Lenovo logo. Then, I tried powering it on and off repeatedly until I gave up and asked Lenovo Premier support to help me. They decided it was just a system board error and replaced it. After the technician replaced the system board, it was working fine, until he put my Ballistix Sport into the ram slot. He told me that this RAM stick was incompatible with my laptop and told me to go to a store to ask for a stick that matches specs with the original stick (the FRU 01ag825). Following his advice, I went to buy the second ram stick, the Patriot 16 GB. I also saw that it had the same specs as the original stick, so I bought it. Then, when I installed it, my laptop was unable to be booted and was then also stuck on the boot screen. I was worried that I might've broken my computer again (I did not think that it was the RAM stick's problem as of then), so I took out the ram stick and opened my laptop again. It booted after I took the stick of RAM out. I do not know why the computer won't boot when I installed the new ram. Please help/explain.

Solved! See the solution
Options

40 Posts

04-30-2019

PL

273 Signins

1156 Page Views

• Views: 1156
  • Message 2 of 5

Re: X1 Extreme RAM Upgrade, Will not boot after installing RAM

2019-07-26, 14:33 PM

1. Try different order of sticks - sometimes helps

2. Try install only one stick (check both sticks in different slots)

Options

10495 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39280 Signins

406202 Page Views

• Views: 406202
  • Message 3 of 5

2019-07-26, 15:12 PM

First, are you waiting long enough?  When you start a machine after changing RAM, it can take a long time for the first boot.  I have seen a full 2 minutes' delay while the computer dynamically configures the slots.  I go away and have  a cup of coffee while all the magic stuff goes on by itself.

It is always safest to buy Lenovo-branded RAM.  Most non-Lenovo RAM works fine but not all.  This is the same with all brands of laptops.  The manufacturers all test certain RAM sticks and then use them as OEM, but there are subtle differences and sometimes one type of RAM will work on one machine and not on another.  It sounds like some change, like a BIOS update, changed something like wait states or the way the machine deals with sleep or low power state, that made your sticks no longer work.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

40 Posts

04-30-2019

PL

273 Signins

1156 Page Views

• Views: 1156
  • Message 4 of 5

2019-07-26, 15:59 PM

In my case after upgrade to 32GB I have black screen for 30s, and after 30s with lenovo logo.

But after all system boots 100% normal.

Options

5 Posts

01-30-2019

US

18 Signins

289 Page Views

• Views: 289
  • Message 5 of 5

2019-07-26, 20:02 PM

Thank you, I followed your advice and installed the RAM and after 5 or so minutes, It booted. Thank you very much.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save