Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
freemjm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,793
Message 1 of 15

X1 Extreme Thunderbolt Dock BSOD

I keep getting BSOD 'DRIVER_VERIFIER_DMA_VIOLATION' when my thunderbolt dock is connected.

I have an X1 Extreme model 20MF-000DUS.  I have already installed the following:

• Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad X1 Extreme
    • Build_20180516-N2ETG09W
    • 01 Oct 2018
  • Intel Thunderbolt software for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad P1, X1 Extreme
    • 15 Aug 2018

I started with a Lenovo Thunderbolt 3 dock, but after all the issues despite updating it's Firmware and drivers with the most current:

• ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Driver for Windows 10, 7 (32-bit, 64-bit)
    • V10013
    • 17 Sep 2018
  • ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Firmware
    • 20 Dec 2017

And I was still having issues with things not being recognized as well as that BSOD so after reading how many people had issues with it despite upgrading firmware and drivers I decided to return it as it would not work properly and go with another dock which recevied stellar reviews as opposed to Lenovo TB3 dock which did not.

Now I am using CalDigit TB3 dock and still getting the disconnection and BSOD so I am assuming its thunderbolt drivers, software, or a hardware issue?

Anyone else having this problem? Any suggestions?

Thank you!

freemjm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,684
Message 2 of 15

Re: X1 Extreme Thunderbolt Dock BSOD

One odd thing I've discovered.  I was going back through and checking everything to ensure I had the latest of all drivers and firmware etc available.  I noticed that the NVM Version showing in the Thunderbolt Software does notmatch what the Thunderbolt FW Update tool says.  I have flashed to 36.01 but the software doesn't seem to agree.  Maybe this is the source of the problem?

Any solutions out there with this information?

Thank you!

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,582
Message 3 of 15

Dear Customer,

Welcome to Lenovo Community. We are sorry about the trouble to you.

From your description, I think you are using 2017 ThinkPad Thunderbolt 3 Dock(40AC0135US) for X1 Extreme, right ?

To solve the BSOD issue, please try to udpate system Nvida video driver to the latest one (should be newer than N2EDA10W)

Sincerely yours.

tbThink17
Blue Screen Again
Views: 1,573
Message 4 of 15

fyi... I'm running the 40AC0135US dock with the x1e 4k model with almost no issues. Was previously using it with the x1c5. The only remaining issue is that sometimes after wakeup, the USB devices are not recognized until I cycle power.
Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,569
Message 5 of 15

Dear Customer,

We are sorry for the trouble to you. To better understand the symptom, please allow me to ask a few questions:

1.Could you let me know, when the issue happens, does the external monitor connected on the Dock works or not ? Does the power charging to system function works or not ?

2.the "cycle power" you mentioned is to power on/off the dock or system ? Please help to clarify the details.

Sincerely yours.

freemjm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,550
Message 6 of 15

The issue seems to happen regularly but is intermittent, i.e. i know it will happen if i am working on it for a few hours but there is no way to predict if it will happen within 5 minutes of connecting the dock or 2 hours later. Once it happens most connected items no longer work (USB, LAN, etc.) but the dock still provides power to the laptop.

I also discovered that if I plug the thunderbolt into a non computer port on the dock that the dock will not supply power but everything works without issue continuously for long periods of time. So it appears it will do one or the other (I.e. supply power or function as a dock) but not both as it should.

In regards to 2. The machine doesn’t power cycle unless it gets a BSOD. Typically it will stop charging the machine for a few seconds, lose all or most dock functionality (I.e. lan, USB, etc. stop working) and then it will start charging the system again, but the dock functionality will not return. It feels like the dock is power cycling but it’s not, I think it has to do with the thunderbolt connection, particularly since I’ve used two docks and two power supplies and two cables now. It has to be on the laptop / laptop thunderbolt side of things I would think.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,544
Message 7 of 15

Dear Customer,

Thanks for your reply. Your information is really helpful for us to investigate it.

1. With regard to the BSOD issue, please let us know whether it still happens after upgrading the Nvidia driver 

• NVIDIA and Intel Video Drivers for Windows 10 (64-bit) (Version 1803) - ThinkPad P1, X1 Extreme
  • 26 Sep 2018

2.From design point of view, the USB/LAN function between the rear TBT port(with computer icon) and front TBT port is the same except the power circuit. Since you confirmed only the rear port has the intermittent USB/LAN function lost issue, and meanwhile dock itself power cycled for a while. We will investigate it in our side, and come back to you.

Sincerely yours.

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,449
Message 8 of 15

Dear customer,

Sorry for having your wait so long. 

1. Please let us know if you still meet the BSOD issue after upgrading the Nvidia driver ?

2. Unfortunately, we failed to reproduce the intermittent USB/LAN function lost issue you mentioned. When it happens, can you confirm how long does the dock keeps working ? Hopefully, Do you see this issue if you have another ThinkPad Thunderbolt Dock ? Just wondering if it's possible a unit issue.

freemjm
Fanfold Paper
Views: 1,243
Message 9 of 15

Sunnyyi-

Sorry for the long pause, I have been traveling a lot and unable to work with the issue.

I just updated to all the latest thunderbolt firmware and software avaiable and used the Nvidia driver from the website (for build 1803).  Now when I connect to the computer port of my dock I still have issues, after a short period of time all items connected except display stop working (i.e. USB and lan).  Then shortly later the computer freezes up (whatever is on screen is frozen on screen and the only thing I can do is hold the power button down - unresponsivle to ctrl alt del, windows key, ctrl shift esc, etc.

I don't have any spare docking stations around.  The dock still functions perfectly if I plug the tunderbolt cable into a non-computer thunderbolt port, but it will  not deliver power to my mahcine which is one of the main purposes of a dock!

Lenovo Employee Sunnyyi
Lenovo Employee
Views: 1,182
Message 10 of 15

Dear Customer,

Nice hearing from you. I am sorry that the latest software don't solve your problem. Would you mind to send your dock to our US team for analysis ? If yes, please send me a message via the community PM feature. I will arrange another replacement dock unit to you.

Sincerely yours.

Moderator edit by bananaman: Masked member's email address to prevent it from being scooped up by the SPAM crawlers. Please use the private Message (PM) feature instead. Click on the member's name>Send this user a private message.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors