Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 687
Message 1 of 18

X1 Extreme TrackPad stops working while using Lenovo Vantage

My thinkpad X1 Extreme has been giving me trouble. I could really do with some advice from someone clever.

(1) When I run Lenovo Vantage my trackpad stops working. I need to restart before it will work again.
(2) It doesn't recognize some usb peripherals (which work fine with other machines)

So I used Windows restore - no change.

I download recovery software - not an easy task but after going through 4 clueless customer service people I found a guy who told me how to get past a web-glitch - and restore to original factory.

After restpre to Factory - Lenovo Vantage still borks the trackpad
The USB peripheral in question still won't work
And now there a pink tint to text whenever I scroll. It makes working in Word really annoying.

Is there any way I can fix these things? I have veyr little faith in lenovo support. I do have on site next day warranty but again, my trust level with Lenovo support is very low. I'm a little past the 30 days in which I can return and tbh I love the machine  so want to keep if possible.

Any advice? Did I just get a lemon? Is Lenovo Vantage freezing trackpad a common issue? Is the pink text while scrolling a color calibraton issue that can be fixed? Should I bite the bullet, call customer service again and try to set up a repair?

Thanks so much for any advice!

Moderator Note: Edited subject to match content.
Community Moderator
Community Moderator
Views: 622
Message 2 of 18

Re: X1 Extreme TrackPad stops working while using Lenovo Vantage

Hi X1fan,

these are a bunch of crazy issuess, really. Could you please take a video of the pink text while scolling issue?

Best
Andreas

Please insert your type, model (not S/N) number and used OS in your posts.
I´m a volunteer here using Lenovo Yoga C930, ThinkPad X1 Carbon 5th Gen. Silver Edition, ThinkPad 13, Yoga 900, ThinkPad T460s, IdeaCentre B540.
TIP: If your computer runs satisfactorily now, it may not be necessary to update the system.

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

tbThink17
Blue Screen Again
Views: 606
Message 3 of 18

I've had both happen on my x1e; loss of touchpad and mouse after running vantage as well as pink mouse cursor (only when moving).

I did a full partition C: restore to get back the touchpad and the pink cursor has only happened a few times and no cause found although I suspect some color profile was being used.
X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 590
Message 4 of 18

Thank you both, so much, for your replies. 

A tech is coming around today or tomrrow to take a look. Lenovo sent out a replacement motherboard (not fully sure why). 

The issue seems to be with a bizarre update called "thinkpad padme" which I've seen no reference to online? It beeps during the update when restarting and doesn't install. 

In any case, I'll see what the tech can do. If not I'll report back. 

The trackpad freezing when running Vantage really shouldn't happen on a laptop I invested $3000 plus in. The pink hue on text when scrolling is probabbly a software or calibration issue and hopefully the USB problems will be solved by the Motherboard replacement, 

Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 539
Message 5 of 18

Hi X1fan,

Sorry for you experienced. Let's see how we can quickly get you out of there.

a. Pink hue / pink cursor, can you try to uninstall Chrometune from your system then check again?

b. Trackpad freezing issue when running Vantage - do you mind send your box S/N to me by private message?

Thank  you. 

X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 535
Message 6 of 18

Thanks so much Henry! I don't know what Chrometune is or where it could be found. I'll PM you my serial now Smiley Happy
They sent me the wrong motherboard (although I'm not sure it's a motehrboard problem) the correct one is now ordered but it's backordered.
The problem, in my opinoon, is connected to something called "Thinkpad Padme System Firmware 1.33" which tries to install on restart, make a loud "beep" noise, kills power to the machine, restarts, does the same thing, restarts and then tells me it hasn't installed and i need to restart to install again. This has to be part of the problem I think?
Anyway, thanks again so much! I'll pm you now!
Lenovo Employee Henrydong
Lenovo Employee
Views: 525
Message 7 of 18

I apologize, there's a typo - please try to uninstall Chroma tune. 

X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 524
Message 8 of 18

Thanks Andreas!

Video can be found at https://youtu.be/7ge4DV1Kfvk 

It shows the pink text while scrolling (it's much worse in word, but I couldn't show that as I just restored it.

Lenovo felt it was a mother board issue and sent one out, but it was the wrong motherboard Smiley Sad

The tech ordered the right one but it's back ordered.

In the video I also show the "firmware update" that I think is part of the problem. When I restart it tried to install, gives a few loud beeps, shuts down and when it comes back on it shows it still needing to be restored.

I've done a couple of full restores from USB - no change Smiley Sad

X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 518
Message 9 of 18

I deleted, still pinky Smiley Sad Should I reinstall?

X1fan
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 514
Message 10 of 18

Thanks Andreas!

Video can be found at https://youtu.be/7ge4DV1Kfvk 

It shows the pink text while scrolling (it's much worse in word, but I couldn't show that as I just restored it.

Lenovo felt it was a mother board issue and sent one out, but it was the wrong motherboard Smiley Sad

The tech ordered the right one but it's back ordered.

In the video I also show the "firmware update" that I think is part of the problem. When I restart it tried to install, gives a few loud beeps, shuts down and when it comes back on it shows it still needing to be restored.

I've done a couple of full restores from USB - no change Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors