Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
zhlb29
Paper Tape
Views: 107
Message 1 of 1

X1 Extreme black screen please HELP

I bought a second SSD (Western Digial SN750 250G) and was planning to dual boot Ubuntu 18.04 and Window 10 on separate SSDs.

I did some research online before doing this, here is what I have done:

I created a bootable USB on Ubuntu's website, and tried it on my old laptop, and it did boot into the USB.

I turned off "fast start" in Windows 10, then shut it down.

I took out the SSD with Windows 10 preinstalled on it, and inserted the new SSD into the second slot.

I inserted the bootable USB to my X1E, then interrupted with "Enter", and went to boot option menu with F12 button, and I chose my USB.

Here is what went wrong:

Some lines of text on a black screen showed up, it said "Try Ubuntu, Install Ubuntu, etc", but it was so quick that I didn't have time to react, and the texts were gone.

The purple Ubuntu screen showed up, and when the white dots filled up in orange, my X1E got stuck in black screen.

I don't know what to do to get out of the black screen. And I don't know what I did wrong. Any help would be appreciated.

EDIT:

I force shut it down by holding the power button, took out the Ubuntu USB, took out my new SSD, and inserted the Windows 10 SSD back to the first slot, and luckily the laptop worked as before. But why was Ubuntu USB boot unsuccessful and how should I do it?

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors