Options

4 Posts

06-16-2020

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Views: 35
  • Message 1 of 4

X1 Extreme... extreme throttling (probably after Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver update)

2020-06-16, 13:44 PM

Hey all
In the past months I had my laptop freeze from time to time, for a few seconds. I would not be able to use the mouse or keyboard when so, but still a video that was on would keep playing. And it would last just for a few seconds and not come back for a long time.

But since around May 31, I got extreme freezing/throttling, that happens much more often, and is MUCH more bothering me, video will slow down like barely a few images seconds, making horrible sound then. Sometimes just with Chrome open and no video playing nor any other program on it happens.
When it does, fans go crazy.

I've made my research, and having had an update on May 30 called "Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver" I am almost certain it comes from there
As a temporal solution, someone online suggested to restart that service when it happens, but first it's hard to reach when throttling occurs, and plus when I did try it did nothing.

Anyone in the same case?
Any solution? (I wish I could undo the update, but my last system restore point is from June 9)
Thanks

Options

4 Posts

06-16-2020

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 2 of 4

Re:X1 Extreme... extreme throttling (probably after Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver update)

2020-06-20, 13:39 PM

still happening :(
anyone in the same case?

Options

94 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

142 Signins

1384 Page Views

• Views: 1384
  • Message 3 of 4

Re:X1 Extreme... extreme throttling (probably after Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver update)

2020-06-27, 14:15 PM

I've applied ALL the FW/BIOS updates to my X1E1 unit using Lenovo Vantage over the passed few months and am currently up-to-date.  

Lenovo has released several BIOS and Thermal updates since late May - consider applying them all.  Make sure your system is fully charged and DO NOT INTERRUPT the BIOS updates or it will brick your machine.  It may power itself on/off several times in the update process.   Since the last Thermal update, my machine is running a lot cooler to touch.  Before this, literally, it would burn my fingertips if the CPU and GPU were both running at 100%.  I run "folding at home" to help find attack vectors on COVID-19 so that's how I noticed it.  

When I apply BIOS updates, I usually do those ONLY, let it finish and fully reboot and then I apply the others.  I know, that's a bit paranoid but I've been in the industry many years and have bricked motherboards in servers with FW updates.. so I'm a bit cautious with my own X1E1. 

These are the last 2 which recently were released and applied.   And I finally think they got the Thermal Drivers right.. 

ThinkPad BIOS Update - 10 [64] - 1.30 Successfully installed: 6/19/2020 2:04 AM

Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver - 10 [64] - 1.0.1.356 Successfully installed: 6/18/2020 9:49 AM

Options

4 Posts

06-16-2020

US

6 Signins

35 Page Views

• Message 4 of 4

2020-06-29, 17:50 PM

Hi mate

Thanks a lot for your answer, appreciate it

Hopefully it will help some people

For the BIOS to do one by one yeah I guess good idea, recently with some BIOS updates at first my laptop would not work anymore. Eventually it did after a restart, but I got very scared (and hated myself for not backing up my hard-drive data recently :D)

Anyway, coming back to my case, unfortunately this time it won't help, since actually if my laptop was quite OK (a bit too hot, a bit frozen sometimes, but nothing compared to some cases I had read online), it's since the last BIOS update I got (of May 31), that it's gone wrong :(

Since then, I've kept checking for new updates, but so far nothing about it

Some days the problem doesn't show up, some days it's like 10 times and is unbearable :'(

Even though my X1 Carbon was hot, it never did such thing... what an "upgrade"... sigh

PS: I just checked my version of the BIOS Update, it's 1.31

While the Lenovo Intelligent Thermal Solution Driver, it's 1.0.1.353

Both were performed on the 30th

Nothing new appearing new when searching for it

So, even though you update later than me, your BIOS is a bit older (1.30 versus 1.31)

While on the other hand I don't see the 1.0.1.356 available even as of today

Strange!!! :/

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete