Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 741
Message 1 of 8

X1 Extreme freezes when closing laptop

My X1 Extreme has been having an odd issue that I haven't seen anyone else report online. I noticed that when closing the laptop, it takes a little while for it to actually go to sleep, as the Thinkpad light on the top will stay on for awhile and then finally start to slowly pulse. Not the biggest deal. But randomly after closing the lid, the light will just stay on, and the fans will stay on. Opening the laptop up, nothing happens, the backlight of the keyboard and powerbutton usually aren't on, and hitting keys or the power button doesn't wake the machine up. Thinkpad light and fans are still going though. A single press of the the power button doesn't do anything either. It seems like the whole machine is just locked up. I'm forced to long press the power button to force it off.

This is incredibliy annoying and it feels like a risk to close my laptop. And they wonder why people flock to Macbooks...it's because of these little niggling issues. Any help or report of anyone else experiencing this would be great.

I'm on BIOS 1.17

8750H

64GB RAM

512 GB SSD (Intel SSDPEKKF512G8L)

natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 677
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Extreme freezes when closing laptop

I contacted Lenovo support and they just went ahead and asked me to send the laptop in. I did and on the summary sheet, it seems like all they did was try to reinstall the BIOS and 'firmware' of something. The OS was factory reset, but it seems okay so far. I had one case of the lid light stop pulsing and stay on but when I opened the laptop, it simply woke from sleep.

I was hoping to just get the whole motherboard replaced, but so far so good...

natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 629
Message 3 of 8

The issue just happened again.... honestly not sure what to do other than hope a BIOS update fixes it sometime. I'll try complaining to support but I'm not sure what they can do other than wipe my machine again...
j1k2
Punch Card
Views: 627
Message 4 of 8

I assume that you are running Windows 10 when your X1E freezes and doesn't wake up, correct?

Because I have the same problem running Ubuntu Linux, and I always assumed a) that it was a problem with Linux, and b) that suspend/wake worked perfectly in Windows.

But if the freeze happens in Windows too, then it's a more fundamental problem.

BTW, other postings have suggested that this problem happens when to you invoke Suspend by closing the lid.  The poster said that mapping the power button to Suspend, and then using that button to invoke it results in successful wakeups. I haven't tried this suggestion enough to know whether it works.

natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 611
Message 5 of 8

Yep, Windows 10 Pro. If nothing else, it's comforting to know I'm not the only one experiencing this. I couldn't find anyone else having this problem online. Could you link those posts of others having this issue? Just so I can dig around more.

Yeah, I could try using the power button for sleep, or invoking it through the os to see if I ever run into it again. I would expect a $2000+ machine wouldn't have such issues though...
natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 514
Message 6 of 8

After talking to Lenovo support, they upgraded to me to on-site repair and I got my motherboard replaced. Since then, all has gone well. Sleeping seems to invoke much faster too. Not sure how a bug like that gets through, but everything is working great now.

natyconnor
Punch Card
Views: 166
Message 7 of 8

This problem has actually resurfaced! I'm just putting to sleep by holding the power button for a second. That seems always reliable (though sometimes very slow). Very disappointing Lenovo... no idea what could be causing this with a fresh motherboard even...
BestTeacher
Paper Tape
Views: 68
Message 8 of 8

Hey, did you manage to resolve the issue since your last post. Something similar is happening to me.

Sometimes my X1 goes to sleep when not using it and sometimes I just close the lid if  don't need to use it. After a while I notice that the fans start spinning and when I try to wake the laptop from sleep, I doesn't work and have to shut the system down. Very annoying.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors