01-17-2019

SE

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Views: 74
  • Message 1 of 10

X1 Extreme — how to get back a scrolling icon for TrackPad middle button

2019-01-17, 18:34 PM

For years this icon, called "scrolling icon", has appeared on the middle-button click on TrackPad buttons — providing for a useful visual feedback:

For some reason, this has been removed on X1 Extreme Synaptics driver. Until November 2018 I have successfully managed to install Synaptics 19.3.4.201 on X1 Extreme so as to get a proper Control Panel management for Synaptics instead of an awkward Windows Universal App AND a scrolling icon working, too. This driver 19.3.x.x (not only 201, but all other consequitve version) has stopped working after certain BIOS and Synaptics Firmware upgrade: installing 19.3.x.x instead of 19.5.19.33 gives TrackPoint and TouchPad halt since November 2018.

There is a registry key which allows to turn OFF the scrolling icon on drivers 19.3.x.x: https://superuser.com/questions/473325/disable-scrolling-icon . It does NOT help to turn it ON for 19.5.x.x.

Any help on either getting the icon back or installing the 19.3.x.x drivers would be awesome. The latter would be more preferrable as I have trying out older drivers in a hope of getting rid of Trackpoint drift — unsucessfully and only until they've broken 19.3.x.x drivers to work on X1 Extreme.

Options

76 Posts

11-24-2007

Denver, CO

679 Signins

2671 Page Views

• Views: 2671
  • Message 2 of 10

Re: X1 Extreme — how to get back a scrolling icon for TrackPad middle button

2019-01-18, 5:42 AM

Here are the drivers for the X1 Extreme: https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/tw/en/products/laptops-and-netbooks/thinkpad-x-series-laptops/thinkpad-x1-extreme/downloads

Regarding trackpoint scrolling, look to Control Panel > Mouse for options (in Windows 10).

Options

6 Posts

01-17-2019

SE

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 3 of 10

2019-01-18, 14:07 PM

Hi GomJabbar, thanks for trying to help.

Please recognize that the question is on a deeper level than your answer. To not repeat exactly the info I provided in my original question, I will therefore try to hilight the important points to maybe help you understand better what is the problem after.

This is what you see in a driver generation 19.3.4.214 on my old T460p when you click the TrackPoint middle button and scroll left or right:

Or, more precisely:

This is what you see in a driver generation 19.3.4.214 on my old T460p when you click the TrackPoint middle button and scroll up or down:

More precisely:

Here is what you see in a driver generation 19.5 — 19.5.19.33 on my x1 Extreme (and, GomJabbar, for sure, exactly the driver from a link to official Lenovo drivers to X1 Extreme you provide):

So, as to say — no change. More precisely:

No change. (While the middle button is pressed, I mean).

Next, there is NO and has been NO setting for the last 15 years, to my memory, responsible for appearance or non-appearance of a scrolling icon on middle click, on any of Synaptics driver I have ever seen. So, on 19.5 on X1 Extreme, the TrackPoint settings are a non-funny joke:

As you clearly see — none about "TrackPoint middle button click scroll icon".

On older drivers 19.3, which DO NOT work on X1 Extreme (any more), it is much better, but nothing related to TrackPoint middle click icon either:

(And has never been, maybe in 2005 or smth, but not then, I promise).

My question is: how to get a scrolling icon for a TrackPoint middle button on X1 Extreme, same icon I used to having for the last 10 years on all my previous 4 ThinkPads.

I hope this clarifies the matters to you, GomJabbar.

Options

6 Posts

01-17-2019

SE

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 4 of 10

2019-01-18, 14:25 PM

Moreover, I get this icon on X1 Extreme for my extrenal Lenovo Keyboard's TrackPoint:

But not for the integrated TrackPoint though.

Options

11293 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39738 Signins

415623 Page Views

• Views: 415623
  • Message 5 of 10

2019-01-18, 17:31 PM

I have not been able to test the issue you describe.  My most recent machine (x1 Yoga gen3) still has V. 19.3.  I assume 19.5 is coming to that machine soon.  All I can say is that the basic drivers come from the hardware manufacturers, in this case, Symantics.  They add new features they think are important and remove ones they believe are unnecessary or not being used.  I, myself, don't use the middle button the same way you do, but I can see that it could be useful.  I have had features I used go away "over the years" of varied hardware.   I can say is that sometimes the features come back if enough people complain.  I looked at the symantic website to see how to do that and I found this:

https://www.synaptics.com/touchpad-feedback

As a warning, I have tried similar tactics on other hardware and had mixed results with some frustration.  Sometimes the suggestions or feedback help, but sometimes I get junk like "thank you for your feedback.  You should contact your computer manufacturer."  The computer maker then tells you (correctly) that the drivers are written by the hardware manufacturer.  All I can say is that if enough people complain, the feature will come back, and I would expect that there is no way Lenovo could add the feature to the Synaptics driver.

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

27 Posts

08-05-2016

US

59 Signins

646 Page Views

• Views: 646
  • Message 6 of 10

2019-01-19, 22:42 PM

I empathize, I wish I had a solution... I only have a theory. It's the hardware, the ridiculous aircraft carrier size "ClickPad/TrackPad" is not the same as the venerable touchpads. When I received my awful T460p to replace my T430s I went through similar frustration with the absence of "Palm Check." As well as slow scrolling and increased pressure required to get things moving with the TrackPoint.

I've noticed the Synaptics driver on the T460p is very similar to the driver on my Lenovo 300 which has an even worse Elan TrackPad. Neither of these are smooth and fluid the way the TouchPad is on the T430s.  My T460p's processor is an i7-6820HQ vs the i7-3520m in my T430s, and the T430s ultranav blows the T460p's scrolling out of the water; T460p bogs, lags and drags... The more intensive the application the worse it gets, the T430s never did that... It's as though the UltraNav in the T460p relies on software to generate it's movement instead of hardware.

Your findings with your external keyboard vs the internal device on your X1 seem to corroborate this.

Lenovo seems more focused on the few Mac users it might entice rather than staying in touch with its loyal customer base.  So Lenovo are you listening? You have two loyal customers here who aren't happy with you abondoning what we rely on.

Moderator comment: Post edited to conform with the Community Rules. Keep it clean.

Options

6 Posts

01-17-2019

SE

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 7 of 10

2019-01-19, 23:19 PM

foolmeonce your path is similar to mine. I had T61 → x220 → w520 → T430s → T460p → X1 Extreme. Only that on X1 Extreme I learned what "TrackPoint drift" is, I have never had such problem before. Slight re-calibration— yes, on some models. Not a severe 5-10 sec drift + 5-10 sec. re-calibration.

To say more, on my T460p the keyboard was scratching the screen, and through warranty I had the screen replaced 3 times because of this, but then they've replaced a keyboard. Oh my — that is the best ThinkPad keyboard I ever had. They quality of plastic is so solid, keys are so smooth, the TrackPoint buttons are smooth as butter, no quircking sound and cheap-plastic feeling as on X1 Extreme. And — neither TrackPoint re-calibration lag no drift. Super-best keyboard. But the previous one installed on T460p was really bad quality — cheap plastic, trackpoint recalibration is slow. I believe due to this keyboard I have a pretty unique T460p instance.

What is more frtustrating with X1 Extreme is that, when used with a dock, the external ThinkPad keyboard feels so smoother and better than the one of X1 Extreme — no TrackPoint drift, a proper cursor, higher keys. You want to stop using the laptop as a laptop but always keep it on a dock instead...

Options

6 Posts

01-17-2019

SE

5 Signins

74 Page Views

• Message 8 of 10

2019-01-19, 23:20 PM

Options

11293 Posts

01-02-2010

US

39738 Signins

415623 Page Views

• Views: 415623
  • Message 9 of 10

2019-01-20, 5:12 AM

yes.  you mentioned that in the first post

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
Options

121 Posts

02-03-2008

RTP, NC

160 Signins

1479 Page Views

• Views: 1479
  • Message 10 of 10

2019-06-01, 11:27 AM

I kept wondering where the graphic went... :)  Thank you for answering this question.  Did you lose the ability to scroll totally while pressing the middle TP button?   I've used the scrolling feature for 20+ years too and it still works on my X1E...but like you no graphic.  I did notice they left up the 19.3.x version of the drivers (which they usually hide with new updates) so maybe there's more to this... IDK.   Thanks!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete