cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
pasko90
Paper Tape
Views: 234
Message 1 of 3

X1 Extreme issues. "No battery present" & BSODs. RMA didn't fix anything :/ What to do?

Some background info: This is my father's X1E. He has been running into 2 issues, "No battery present" notifications causing shut down issues and BSODs.

First, "No battery present" notification. Out of nowhere, for no apparent reason, the computer won't detect the battery "No battery present". However... the computer can still remain powered on without the power cable plugged in. Not much of an issue on the surface... except... when this happens the computer does not give any indication of it's charge level and as a result, doesn't go to sleep when the battery is low... instead it just shuts off (battery runs dry). Oh, and the computer will sometimes just randomly shut down. No warning. Needless to say, this is not acceptable for a laptop (especially one that is job critical and costs >$2K).

Second, the BSODs. This has also been a complete mystery. Obviously, I'm not at his computer 24/7, but that image is the latest one he sent me. Again, seemingly random. I've done some googling on this BSOD and it seems to have something to do with the sleep function of the computer... which leads me to believe it may be related to the "no battery present" issue... but IDK.

I've tried to do some basic troubleshooting. Resetting the battery (as per Lenovo's own instructions), changing settings in power options (I forget what specifically) and some other things I can't remember ATM. Finally, he had the laptop RMA'd. It came back with a fresh install of Windows 10... but the issues persisted. In that RMA we provided Lenovo with a detailed description and documentation of the issue.

At this point we are both a bit irked. Lenovo does not seem to either know how to fix the issue or is simply unable to detect that there is one. At this point, we'll try one more RMA, but after that it's probably going to be asking for a refund and getting a different laptop. Ideally, he would like to avoid that (this computer is the ideal spec and there is no competition for Thinkpad keyboard feel). If anyone has any insight on what could be causing these issue and any way to fix them, I am all ears.

Many thanks.

Social Support Agent
Social Support Agent
Views: 127
Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme issues. "No battery present" & BSODs. RMA didn't fix anything :/ What to do?

Hi pasko90,

Welcome to the community forums.

This is not the kind of experience we want you to have and we apologize for the trouble. Did you re-send the laptop to our service center for another repair? Could you tell us what happened on the second repair? Were there any parts replaced? We'd like to look into this further. 

Thanks!

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

pasko90
Paper Tape
Views: 118
Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Extreme issues. "No battery present" & BSODs. RMA didn't fix anything :/ Wh

Hello Auxen,

Thank you for your reply. Luckily, I got through to a very helpful CS rep and they escaleted the issue to the tier 2 depot (I forget the exact term). We got the laptop back and they replaced the mobo and the battery (left windows install as is). So far (fingers crossed), we have not encountered either issue (no battery present and BSODs). That's a huge relief.

My only piece of feedback for this experience would be, when somebody calls up with specific documentation/description of an issue, troubleshooting is done without resolution and that issue is related to critical functions, that RMA ahould probably go straight to the second tier depot (if for nothing else than a comprehensive diagnostic).

Unfortunately, he is running into some issues after (these issues were not present on the previous version) the latest Windows update (1903). Some features of Windows are not working properly (settings app crashes and some option are not available, that were available before). But more confusing is the color profile for the screen (4K model), seems to be randomly switching color temperatures. It will flip between cool and warm (I would assume color profiles within the Lenovo color management app) during seemingly random actions, like opening a program (irrespective of a progam specific color profile is set). This is likely totally separate from the previous issues described above, but since I've got you here, I figured I would mention it. I have not conducted any troubleshooting steps for this issue other than uninstalling and reinstalling the Lenovo color management app (nightlight eye saver is not available in settings. This is one of the bugs after the latest update). More likely than not, we will probably do a fresh install of Windows and see if we can stay on the previous version (issues were not present there).

If you have any advice on this issue (other than a reset/going back to an older version of Windows), I'm all ears. LMK if I should open a new thread for this issue.

Again, thanks for the reply.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors