Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Ahlun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 693
Message 1 of 19

X1 Extreme lags when re-connected to monitor

Hi.

i have been encountering the issue of sluggish performance when connected to an external display via HDMI.

I will usually connect to the monitor before powering up the X1E, then everything is fine.

Sometimes I may need to unplug and use it elsewhere without the monitor. 

Then when I return to my desk and reconnect to the same monitor, the laptop starts to be sluggish.

I will need to reboot the unit every time I reconnect to the monitor while the laptop is powered on.

Is there any solution to this? Thank you.

SKU: 20MFCTO1WW

Administrator
Administrator
Views: 588
Message 2 of 19

Re: X1 Extreme lags when re-connected to monitor

Hi Ahlun,

Greetings from Lenovo.

As you have mentioned about the display issue, does the issue occurs after you disconnect from the monitor? Also, try to update the drivers.

Ahlun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 563
Message 3 of 19

Hi there, 

Yes I have performed the updates and a series of steps as recommended by Lenovo support but unable to resolve it.

Ticket reference: 8013354372 [Incident: 190712-006715]

Eventually I followed the steps from one of the forum users and the issue is solved by the workaround of disabling hybrid graphics in BIOS.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-extreme-screen-lag-on-quot-second-screen-o...

Thank you.

al2k
Paper Tape
Views: 468
Message 4 of 19

Hi, I have the exact same issue. For some time I thought it was a general Win 10 problem (high CPU usage when idle on desktop) but then realised it was the HDMI monitor plugging in. Once connected, the Win 10 GUI lags dramatically and even when restarting, the spinning Win 10 wheel will lag until the laptop finally releases the HDMI connection and you see the speed increase for a few seconds before the reboot. After rebooting (HDMI still connected) it boots as expected without the speed issue.

I will run the same BIOS change to disable hybrid, but surely with hybrid disabled we will see a battery performance drop as we will be using the Nvidea GPU which defeats the purpose of the laptop.

When will Lenovo offer a actual hot fix?

pete_falcone
Fanfold Paper
Views: 391
Message 5 of 19

I'll throw my hat in this ring as well. My monitor is a Thinkvision F16238. Switching out of hybrid mode did not fix the lag.

AaronZC
Paper Tape
Views: 366
Message 6 of 19

Hi Ahlun,

I have a very similar issue to yours. My computer becomes sluggish even if I power on the computer with the external monitor is connected. I had to restart the computer right after the refresh boot in order to get smooth graphics on my external Dell 38 inch curve wide screen.

I spent > 2hs with Lenovo support on the phone. The only solution is disabling the hybrid option in the UEFI settings. Now, I have to live with ~ 6.5 hrs max battery life, at the lowest settings I can live with, with light work load.

Strangely, I noticed that after the recent upgrade (BIOS and others) last week. Even rebooting the laptop cannot get me smooth graphics in the hybrid mode.

I am totally annoyed by this issue, especially when I sometimes need the battery to last for a day!!! I spent >$2.2k to get the benefit of both power and battery life. Now, I am stuck.

Looking forward to Lenovo's solution to this!

PS: I have to say that there is a chance the issue is the compatibility between win10 and the MaxQ driver. I hope a simple driver and/or windows update would solve this issue.

al2k
Paper Tape
Views: 354
Message 7 of 19

Hi Ahlun,

It looks like you saved me 2 hours. I was going to do the same to see if there is an actual solution / patch that Lenovo Support know about, but they obviously don't. I wonder if it was a known issue (with no immediate work around) when it was built and shipped. What was the outcome of your talk with them seeing that the problem is still to be resolved? i.e did they say they would chase up the issue?

Kind regards,

Al2k

Ahlun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 345
Message 8 of 19

Hi AaronZC,

I spent some time communicating with their service support, though helpful but they didnt solve the issue. I guess we have wait for a fix.
Ahlun
Fanfold Paper
Views: 345
Message 9 of 19

Hi al2k,

No solution provided. They got me to download the latest drivers but it didnt help. In the end, I had to point them to the link of the workaround. Then ticket closed.
AaronZC
Paper Tape
Views: 312
Message 10 of 19

I forgot to mention that for my machine, if I used "extend" mode for the external monitor, everything runs smoothly. The sluggish graphics only happens when it is in hybrid mode and uses only the external monitor. This is what I am using currently. Either the native screen, or the extend mode for dual screen. Hope that helps.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors