Good news!  Glad to hear it!

tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 601
Message 22 of 29

Re: X1 Extreme "(A7) Me Fw Downgrade Request MeSpiLock Failed"

Error 8714 firmwork update not initiated due to file open or read failure 

Doesn't work for me, no luck 

This issue has been going on for over a week, why Lenovo and windows don't remove the problem update, and issue a solution.

1Fastigone
Paper Tape
Views: 570
Message 23 of 29

Just want to Thank both you Ucilandia and HighCapper for your due diligence and tenacity on this problem. My problem was exactly as described:
X1 extreme Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-8850H CPU @ 2.60GHZ with the problems of:
-Long reboot start…
-Message (A7) ME FE Downgrade - Request MeSpiLocK when starting after the LENOVO logo.
-ME Firmware version white in the bios
-It did not work the sound of the equipment.
-Will add this - Did not return from Sleep, restart required but needed to hold start button for 10s to turn off machine, then used start button to restart it.

I followed the steps as outlined in this forum string and the problem has now corrected itself. Woo hoo.

I did struggle a little understanding a few items and will add the following to the Instruction steps to help anyone needing additional guidance. Here is my minor contribution:
-----------------------------------------------------------
Instructions:
Anything in Bold has been added by 1fastigone to the original instructions outlined by Ucilandia and HighCapper. I, 1Fastigone, in no way take credit for their awesome work to fix my X1 extreme i7-8850H

Note: the quotes “ ” are not written
Attention: the corporate version "ME_12.0_Corp.bin" is the one that I used in my ThinkPad X1 extreme with i7-8850H vPro

1. Open command prompt as admin, (For Windows 10: Open windows menu, go to windows system, right click on "Command Prompt" Icon, select "more", Select run as Administrator", Windows prompts you with "Do you want this app to make changes to windows? Select Yes then the Command prompt box pops up)

Another Option for step 2. and 3. below Write "cd/" and press enter, this will get you to C:/> as well
2. Write “cd..” and press enter.
3. Write “cd..” and press enter.
The objective is to go back on the route until you reach
C: \>

Another Option for step 4, 5 & 6. Write "cd drivers/win/me" and press enter, this will get you to C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME> as well
4. Write “cd drivers” and press enter.
5. Write “cd win” and press enter.
6. Write “cd me” and press enter.
The goal is to get to the route

C: \ drivers \ win \ me>

The firmware files should already be in the above directory if your original attempt failed. If nothing in directory, just make sure that the following is correct when you download files from Lenovo: I used Intel Management Engine 12.0 Firmware for Windows 10 for my X1 Xtreme, version 12.0.35.142708 issued May 2019. This will download as an .exe file type. You may have to run the executable to unpack the files to the C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME> to have ME_12.0_Corp.bin show up in the directory. You will have an option during the executable to opt out of installing software after it has loaded the files into the above location. Running the entire .exe is not a problem either, the files will still be there for you after the reboot.

where the files that installed the failed firmware update should be.

7. Copy the following line by selecting it and copying it with "Ctrl+C"

FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME_12.0_Corp.bin -OEMID 4C656E6F-766F-0000-0000-000000000000 -allowsv -y

8. Paste the previous line with "Ctrl+V" in the line of the command prompt
It must be

C: \ drivers \ win \ me> FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME_12.0_Corp.bin -OEMID 4C656E6F-766F-0000-0000-000000000000 -allowsv -y

9. Press enter and follow the instructions.
10. If everything went well it will rewrite the firmware (eye the corporate version is the one that I used in my ThinkPad X1 extreme with i7-8850H vPro "ME_12.0_Corp.bin"), the writing percentage goes out until it finishes and asks for a restart
11. Restart
12. Good luck!

tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 548
Message 24 of 29

Thanks for posting the steps.

But it doesn't work for me.  I got an error message

Error 8714:  Firmware update not initiated due to file open or read failure.

I also tried to restore to a previous point.  Not working either.

Just wonder anyone has a different solution for this problem.

HighCapper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 543
Message 25 of 29

Did you try deleting the folder C:\DRIVERS\WIN and starting fresh?  If you have any programs like Carbonite running, then pause them.  You do open the CMD window as Administrator, right?

tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 534
Message 26 of 29

I shut down many programs, since i dont know which one is Carbonite

Yes I opened CMD as admin

I paste the quote to

C:\drivers\win\me

I installed Intel management Engine 12.0 software for Windows 10 64bit version 1914.12.0.1255 on my X1 Carbon gen 6

I found the directory to save Engine 11.8 is  C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME and the system requested reboot when installing is done. 

But the directory that save Engine 12.0  is C:\DRIVERS\WIN\MEI .  And the computer didnt request reboot when finished installing.

Do I miss somehting

tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 484
Message 27 of 29

Finally i have the problem fixed.  Thanks Fastigone, Highcapper and Lenovo Support Team.

I have the X1 Carbon Gen 6, it took few more steps to solve this problem.

First, downgrade the IME to

• Intel Management Engine 11.8 Firmware for Windows 10 (64-bit) - ThinkPad T480, T480s, X1 Carbon 6th Gen
  • 11.8.65.3590 29 Apr 2019

Then check BIOS version.  If the BIOS version is 1.38, then go in BIOS -> Security -> disable Secure Rollback Prevention under UEFI BIOS Update Option  -> F10 to save and exit

Then download the older version (1.37) of BIOS  here

Then open CMD as Admin

(type) cd.. (press enter) -> (type) cd.. (press enter) -> (type) cd drivers (press enter)  -> (type) cd win (press enter) -> (type) cd me (press enter)->

copy (ctrl C) and paste (ctrl V)

FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME_11.8_Corporate_C0_LP_Production.bin -OEMID 4C656E6F-766F-0000-0000-000000000000 -allowsv -y

you should see C:\DRIVERS\WIN\ME>FWUpdLcl64.exe -F ME_11.8_Corporate_C0_LP_Production.bin -OEMID 4C656E6F-766F-0000-0000-000000000000 -allowsv -y

(then press enter)

If it goes well, you should see the message "FW Update is completed successfully."

Then go in BIOS -> Security -> ENABLE Secure Rollback Prevention under UEFI BIOS Update Option.  -> F10 to save and exit

Moderator note: shortened - and broken - link replaced.

HighCapper
Fanfold Paper
Views: 470
Message 28 of 29

That is very good news!

Note, in your line "Then download the older version (1.37) of BIOS  https://Inv.gy/2JGUemj", it should be  https://Lnv.gy/2JGUemj

that's an "L" not an i.

So, that gets you to ME version 11.8, right?  So then do you continue the upgrade process to 12.0 ?

Moderator note: You're right about the i vs L, but your underlying URLs are still bad. Shortened links should be avoided in the forums. See post above this one for repaired link.

tofu
Fanfold Paper
Views: 413
Message 29 of 29

No, I didn’t upgrade ME to 12.0.
The ME issue was found after I did 10updates and ME 12.0 was one of them. Not sure which one caused the trouble, so better leave it as is.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors