cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
noUsernameplz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 946
Message 1 of 10

X1 Extreme restarts randomly without warning (Kernal Power Error 41)

Im doing some basic stuff and boom the screen goes off the lenovo plash screen appers and starts to boot. First couple of times i thought  i was drunk or something but it continued happening .it still randomly reboots several times a day.

i have gone through various troubleshooting guides and it says that it might be due to overclocking, overheating, power shortage.
I havent did any overclocking but have strong suspicion on the overheating and the power

I have been using this computer for only about 3 weeks now and have got this error more than 50 times

Its fairly new so i am quite worried please help meimage.png.

Detailed event viewer log :

- <System>
  <Provider Name="Microsoft-Windows-Kernel-Power" Guid="{331c3b3a-2005-44c2-ac5e-77220c37d6b4}" />
  <EventID>41</EventID>
  <Version>6</Version>
  <Level>1</Level>
  <Task>63</Task>
  <Opcode>0</Opcode>
  <Keywords>0x8000400000000002</Keywords>
  <TimeCreated SystemTime="2019-05-02T10:10:17.533106300Z" />
  <EventRecordID>22774</EventRecordID>
  <Correlation />
  <Execution ProcessID="4" ThreadID="8" />
  <Channel>System</Channel>
  <Computer>LAPTOP-UCFQG31L</Computer>
  <Security UserID="S-1-5-18" />
  </System>
- <EventData>
  <Data Name="BugcheckCode">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter1">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter2">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter3">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckParameter4">0x0</Data>
  <Data Name="SleepInProgress">0</Data>
  <Data Name="PowerButtonTimestamp">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BootAppStatus">0</Data>
  <Data Name="Checkpoint">0</Data>
  <Data Name="ConnectedStandbyInProgress">false</Data>
  <Data Name="SystemSleepTransitionsToOn">0</Data>
  <Data Name="CsEntryScenarioInstanceId">0</Data>
  <Data Name="BugcheckInfoFromEFI">false</Data>
  <Data Name="CheckpointStatus">0</Data>
  </EventData>
  </Event>
Gabo_mty
Fanfold Paper
Views: 907
Message 2 of 10

Re: X1 Extreme restarts randomly without warning (Kernal Power Error 41)

Kernel Power Error 41 just tells us the computer was unexcpectly shutted down.

Besides those options you describe above, I also faced some resetting problems before because of the ram memories installed in my computer.

All i had to do, was to change them, put the one located in first slot in the second one and the one located in second slot in the first one and it did the trick. I never had the same problem again.

try this solution to see if it works, and try to monitor your temperatures to make sure is not an overheating issue.

Hope this helps

Regards!
spocko
SCSI Port
Views: 903
Message 3 of 10

Also make sure your BIOS is up to date, especially if you are using an external monitor. BIOS version 1.19 included a fix for BSOD when using external monitors. I used to get occasional random reboots without BSOD, like you described, when using external monitors. I'm not 100% sure, but that bios update may have fixed it for me. Hasn't happened in the last few weeks.

With that said, I'm guessing you aren't using an external monitor, since I don't think the splash screen shows on an external monitor.

CoreTemp is a nice simple tool to watch CPU temps:

https://www.alcpu.com/CoreTemp/

Have you tried running the hardware diagnostics in Lenovo Vantage? Might also want to run an thorough memory test using something like Memtest86.

noUsernameplz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 827
Message 4 of 10

X1 Extreme restarts randomly without warning (Kernal Power Error 41)

I have posted this problem before detailing how i got event ID-41 Kernal power error before in this forums and did several things to diagnose and fix this problem. The system restarts several times a day, i have reinstalled windows 10 already as the sudden restart has severly effected performance on the windows 10 OS. I have extensively tested the software side (BIOS, Drivers, OS, Programs etc.) and i feel like it is not a software problem but a hardware one. I have tried numerous methods but still cant pin point the cause of the problem. Now i am thinking of testing the memory more extensively and even swap their places to make sure they are working properly.

What Happens:

Restarts randomly several times a day

How and when it happens:

Under heavy load the system will definetly restart.
    The restart usually happens when the system is under a moderate load but also occurs sometimes under light load.
    Happens while being charged or on while running on battery.
    This ironically happned the first time i was writing this post and deleted all of the progress.
    Happens when i havent saved the project for an hour.
    While browsing, using light apps.

What Have i done to fix this

Reinstalled windows 10.
    Installed and fixed every required driver possible especially Nvidia ones.
    monitor the cpu & gpu temperatures via MSI afterburner.
    Done several hardware scans on lenovo vantage. (once while doing a full scan the restart occured while testing the nvme ssd, but the test ran sucessfully the next time )
    Several minor tweaks and tests on Intel XTU. (undervolting the cpu)

What am i planning to do:
    use POP OS to see if this problem presists.
    do extensive memory test via (memtest86+).
    do undervolting.
    swap the ram to another slot.
    log the restarts occured in more detail
    take the unit to a local tecnician

contact lenovo

I still have 10 months left for the warranty but claiming it will be a huge hassle.

Please provide every possible solution as i really dont want to return it.

Admin note; post merged to existing topic, subject lines edited.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 802
Message 5 of 10

The event ID-41 Kernal power error just means that the system shut down unexpectedly, and is itself not a clue as to what is causing the shutdown. 

Is the system writing any C:\Windows\MEMORY.DMP or C:\Windows\Minidump\*.dmp files?    If so can you .zip them up and post them to OneDrive etc. so they can be reviewed?

It could be bad RAM, so testing that is certainly a good place to start.

Best of luck,

noUsernameplz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 793
Message 6 of 10

i cannot find the file you specified. Maybe the OS didn't created the DMP file. But yeah i am going to diagnose the memory extensively are there any suggestion for me where to start. Your help is much appreciated.

Wendel
802.11n
Views: 777
Message 7 of 10

I have had this same problem too and have no idea what's causing it. However it happens only once every few days but I lose all work in progress. I have the latest BIOS and updated Win 10 and Lenovo software. The Event ID 41, Kernel Power, doesn't really tell me much since my laptop is always plugged into AC so power isn't/should'nt be an issue.

JDGillis
Bit Torrent
Views: 756
Message 8 of 10

It is possible that it is restarting before it displays the BSOD or creates the memory dump, so try opening the System Control Panel, select the Advanced Tab and From the hen click on Setting under Startup and Recovery.     Once there, uncheck the box by "Automatically restart".

capture.jpg

As far as testing memory, you are on the right track of removing one stick at a time, and seeing if the problems persit.    Memtest86 takes a long time to run if you have a lot of RAM, so you may only want to do one pass.

iF NO MEMORY.DMP IS written, try changing the type of memory dump from Automatic to "Small Memory Dump" and see if that gets written.   

The Kernel Power Error in the Event log is written after the system reboots, so look for events prior to the shutdown that might indicate a problem.   You can usually see a timestamp gap in the event logs between the shutdown, and when the system begins the boot process.

Also disable any startup items that you can via the Startup tab within Task Manager.

What AntiVirus software are you running, and do you also have VPN software installed?

Cheers,

noUsernameplz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 726
Message 9 of 10

No Blue screen of death occurs! Thats whyi find it really strange as it boots normally without no warning at all. The laptop just turns off instantly and starts rebooting normally.

I unchecked the automatically restart option also turned off the fast startup under power options.

There is a 16 GB stick installed in this computer and memory testing will certainly take a lot of time.

Some sources say at least 8 passes are required to determine the problem of the memory via memtest86 and takes a quite a bit of time to complete.

I think i should swap the memory first and then do the memory testing for one pass and then if it doesnt show any error then ill go for 4 passes.

I am worried that the restart might occur during the checkup process, as i am going to be afk during the process.

Im not quite sure if its a memory problem but really wish it is just a bad ram because it is a lot easier to fix than some other parts.

Luckily it hasnt restarted yet today, i wish this will continue.

I totally forgot i could check the previous smaller errors on the event log! Thanks for reminding me I will first look into that now as i have some pattern of warnings and errors which occured before the restart.

Really Really Thanks!!! you the MVP.

Annotation 2019-05-21 174003.png 

fortunatly there hasnt been any unexpected restarts today!! I hope it will stay that way.

Edit:

Also changed the type of memory dump from Automatic to "Small Memory Dump"

Every startup app is disabled

No antivirus or VPN software installed. (does windows defender count?)

Annotation 2019-05-21 175557.png

Thanks Again!! and Cheers!

noUsernameplz
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Views: 636
Message 10 of 10

Have done everything in my knowledge to understand the situation but the cause is still mysterious.

This error has occured 80+times by now and is not getting better at all. Also no dump file gets generated, i have done all of the suggestions given to me.

I have also noticed that this event also occurs while in BIOS mode, In Linux as much as in Windows 10.

i78750H FHD panel 16GBRAM 500SSD

Bios version N2EET39W 1.21

Windows 10 Home 10.0.17763

#    Updated the BIOS, reinstalled critical drivers (GPU, chipset, thermal management).
#    Constantly monitoring CPU and GPU temperature (reboot occurs even on light usage and temps below 60 C).
#    Used Pop Os for 2-3 days but the problem was still there regardless of the OS.
#    Reinstalled windows.
#    Ran all the diagnostic tools provided by Lenovo (most of the diagnosis doesnt gets completed due to the reboot).
#     But sometimes the diagnosis completes showing no sign of error.
#    Did Memtest86 1 Pass (no errors)
#    swapped the position of the RAM from one slot to another and redid the Memtest86 4 passes. (No errors)
#    Did extensive research on random restarts with no BSOD and Kerner power 41 event.

I Have a strong feeling that this might be a hardware issue, I still have 280 days remaining for the warranty but my current location doesnt seem to have any warranty support (even IWS) provided by the Lenovo. The local service provider said that claming warranty was not feasable at their shop and all of the repair have to be done under my own expences.

I really want to have a breif communication with the lenovo agents directly if its possible to discuss my situation.

Im currently situatied at Nepal and I will be quite busy dealing with my college for the next year so please help me out dealing with this situation.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors