Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 773
Message 1 of 8

X1 Extreme with external GPU - Sonnet egfx breakaway box

Hi, I have a brand new X1 Extreme, and would like to use it with my eGPU (Sonnet egfx breakaway box).

However, when I connect it, it only works fine for a couple of minutes, then it seems as if the driver crashes. An app like Spotify can continue running on the internal screen, but apps like Photoshop, Illustrator and Cinema 4D crash/disappear.

I have the i7-8750H version with 32 GB Ram and 1 TB SSD, and my eGPU is a Sonnet egfx breakaway box (550 Watt version). My GPU is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2080 Ti Gaming OC 11GB.

I running latest Windows 10 (version 1809) and the latest drivers and firmware (1.19) from Lenovo. Nvidia driver version: 419.35.

Bios is reset to default setup.

Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 734
Message 2 of 8

Re: X1 Extreme with external GPU - Sonnet egfx breakaway box

I tried to attach the eGPU to a T480s ThinkPad, and after a bit of driver initiation it worked and apparently the T480s seems very stable.

So I copied some of the BIOS settings and reverted the drivers/Windows version back to a similar old version on the X1 Extreme as on the T480s, and now the X1 seems to run run very stable with the eGPU.

I suspect it could be conflict with the internal Nvidia card, it is disabled at the moment, it might be reenabled on a reebot as the old Nvidia driver (411.70) only recognised the the external Nvidia card at first. The internal Nvidia card was listed as "generic vga" or something, now it is recognised as a 1050 ti max-q with a "warning triangle" - I'll have to se if the "conflict" reappears on reboot.

Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 726
Message 3 of 8

After reboot the 1050 came online which made Windows disable the 2080, and now it is not working. I have tried disabling the 1050, but this doesn't get the 2080 working :-(

Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 714
Message 4 of 8

Right now it works, I have "removed" the 1050 in device manager, and installed the latest nvida driver (419.35) after a couple of crashes before it recognised the card/driver it finally booted up and has been stable.

Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 649
Message 5 of 8

I have found that the issue seems to be the Lenovo/Microsoft specific driver for the 1050 graphics chip/card. You need to remove it completely with this appliction:

https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html

It can remove the driver completely, otherwise Windows will just try to use the Lenovo driver anyways after a reboot.

After removing the driver completely you can download and install the 2080 driver directly from Nvidia, and it also works with the internal 1050. After this everything has run as it should.

Only issue now has been that you cannot use the external box if the computer is running on battery. The eGPU unit will try to power the computer and the graphics card, and this is not enough power. This is a non issue anyway, as you always need wall power for the unit anyway - so remember to plug both box and computer to wall power.

Yal299
Paper Tape
Views: 576
Message 6 of 8

Hi,

I am using the Aorus RTX 2070 gaming box with my x1 extreme. I got the similar problem. when I connected to the egpu and run some games or chrome, the box just got disconnected randomly. I have tried with DDU to unistall the driver and many versions of NVIDIA drivers, but it still cannot work properly.

Are there any other solutions for the eGPU?

Thanks!

Janmansilver
Fanfold Paper
Views: 537
Message 7 of 8

I changed some bios settings too. I made thunderbolt compatible with earlier versions of windows and disabled security for it.

DigitalFury
What's DOS?
Views: 316
Message 8 of 8

Sorry to let you know that I'm facing exactly the same issue with my X1 Extreme, paired with a Sonnet Egfx Breakaway Box 550W with a 2080 Ti in it. Of course with the device being connectly to either TB3 port.

I have tried with several different TB3 cables, Intel Thunderbolt drivers (including unofficial ones) and Nvidia's using DDU, disabling the Intel GPU, playing with the legacy Thunderbold settings in the EFI. Latest version of Win10, ... In a nutshell everything possible, including doing a factory reinstall - at best it randomly disconnects, at worst doesn't even see the external device.

Lenovo's implementation of TB 'as is' unfortunately seems to be broken/defective, on otherwise a good and solid (yet expensive) machine so far. Something to be said about the quality of Apple's TB implementation, it works flawlessly, including with 4 TB ports being used on my MacBook Pro 2018 (even if Apple is now crippling it in 10.14).

The same setup works perfectly fine on my MSI GS73 Stealth 8RF and the aforementioned Apple machine.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals