07-26-2020

CA

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Gen 2 Screen Flickering

2020-07-26, 22:43 PM

Hey, just got a new X1 gen 2 a couple months ago and the screen has been flickering semi regularly since I got it. Have tried to uninstall some apps in hopes that it is as issue with windows 10, checked to see if task manager flickered with the rest of my screen (it does not). It flickers occasionally, seemingly without pattern. Once it starts, it will flicker a few times within a span of 5 minutes. Computer runs fine otherwise. 

Any help is appreciated!

Options

8058 Posts

01-13-2008

US

77116 Signins

2180534 Page Views

• Views: 2180534
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:X1 Gen 2 Screen Flickering

2020-07-27, 0:36 AM

X1 Gen 2... carbon, yoga, extreme, tablet... ???

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities: English Deutsch Español Português Русскоязычное Česká Slovenská Українська Polski Türkçe Moto English

Using Browser Search to find your answers in Lenovo and Moto Community

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2020

CA

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2020-07-27, 16:40 PM

X1 Extreme Gen 2, my bad

Options

3 Posts

07-29-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Views: 20
  • Message 4 of 7

2020-07-29, 23:47 PM

I'm also having this issue on my X1 Extreme Gen 2. I tried following another post which said to uninstall and delete the display adapter drivers in safe mode, reboot, and have windows reinstall the drivers. It hasn't fixed the issue. I tried changing the screen refresh rate from the default 59Hz to 60Hz and it still happens. NVIDIA drivers are up to date. This laptop is less than 1 week old and I've barely done any work on it so I highly doubt it's an issue caused by the user.

My only guess is that it is an issue with the HDR-capable screens. Do you have the HDR model?

Options

2 Posts

07-26-2020

CA

3 Signins

10 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2020-08-01, 22:22 PM
Hey, yea I have HDR Dolby Vision, it's about a couple months old now. I tried to reinstall display drivers, didn't work. I haven't tried to change the refresh rate, but I assume it won't do anything either. I contacted Lenovo tech support and they said that it might take 17 days to get my computer back, and I might lose data. At this point it's either a hardware issue or with incompatible apps, though I suspect its the former.
Options

3 Posts

07-29-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2020-08-02, 19:20 PM

I've been unable to submit an email support ticket or a service ticket so I'm going to try the chat support tomorrow since they don't work on weekends it seems. Hopefully it's something that can be fixed with a firmware/software update, otherwise I am very tempted to return the laptop for a different model before the return window closes.

Options

3 Posts

07-29-2020

US

4 Signins

20 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2020-08-08, 4:31 AM

I think I've solved the problem. Since changing this setting I have not had any more screen flickering so I hope this helps some other people:

Open the Intel Graphics Control Panel.

You can find it in the start menu or by searching for it.

Open the Power menu.

Disable "Panel Self-Refresh".

Use the Change Settings for the Plan drop down menu to change between Maximum Battery Life, Balanced Mode, and Maximum Performance and disable Panel Self-Refresh in all the modes.

Use the left column to switch between On Battery and Plugged In and repeat the process for all modes.

Click Apply in the bottom right before closing the program.

This is a "feature" that Intel implemented that is meant to reduce power consumption by loading a static screen into RAM and disabling the 59/60Hz refresh rate on the panel. I don't know how it determines when to do this, but the result is a very jarring screen flash as it swaps between the pseudo-screenshot and the real screen. Let me know if this fixed it for you!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete