Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmayberry
Blue Screen Again
Views: 916
Message 1 of 6

X1 Gen4 // OneLink+ Dock // Windows 8.1 // Ethernet Adapter undetected

Im starting a new issue for the previous topic that was marked as solved for Windows 7 and was not for windows 8.1

I purchased a lot of equipment from Lenovo and now can deploy none of it until the ethernet port is functional due to your driver issues. I am on all the most recent drivers and updates possible as of today 9/1/2016.

Previous Windows 7 fix topic here:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/X1-Carbon-Gen-4-Onelink-Dock-Ethernet-Sometim...

Previous Windows 7 Solution here:
http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds111779

Please provide Windows 8.1 solution here, thanks.

bradhi
Paper Tape
Views: 856
Message 2 of 6

Re: X1 Gen4 // OneLink+ Dock // Windows 8.1 // Ethernet Adapter undetected

I've also come across from the previous thread.  Have 6 X1 Carbon G4's with the exact same issue on the OneLink+ Docks.

Issue

- When re-docking laptop the network LAN cable is not recognised in the Dock port

Temp Fix

- I can't just pull the power on the dock and plug back in again.  I have to pull both display port cables and the power and plug all three back in again.  (Others find they have to unplug network cable and power).

Findings So Far:

- Others have mentioned it could be to do with the network switch you are plugged into

- My company is using Cisco Catalyst 2960 series switches.  I have tried plugging in to both PoE enabled and non PoE versions of these switches and both have the same issue for me.

- However if I take the dock home and plug into my home internet router.  This lets me dock and undock with no issues.  When I reconnect the network port is immediately recognised.

- When I dock at work the attached pic shows the event viewer error that is generated by the port on the dock.dock-error.JPG

Former Employee
Views: 816
Message 3 of 6

I have escalated customer reports of no Ethernet connection on OneLink+ Pro docks when connected to X1 Carbon 4th Gen (type 20FB and 30FC) and X1 Yoga ThinkPads running Windows 8.1 to Think Engineering for a solution.

This issue was previously resolved via USB 3.0 driver for customers running Windows 7.

I will post again when I have an update.

Thank you,

bradhi
Paper Tape
Views: 809
Message 4 of 6

Thanks Amy.

I have also a slight correction / update on my testing above.  When I was at home testing successfully I only had network and power cables connected to the dock.

So I ran some extra tests on our work network.

Test 1

- Cables plugged in = Power, Network, VGA (for external monitor)

- This setup had no issues when docking and undocking my laptop.  the network connectivity through the cable was restored every single time I reconnected.

- I believe this may rule out the type of switch being used on the network.

Test 2

- Cables plugged in = Power, Network, DisplayPort

- As there are two DisplayPorts on the dock I ran this test with every config option (e.g. one displayport plugged in tried on each one, and both at the same time).

- In each scenario I had my original issue of network connectivity not being restored on redocking the laptop

It's almost like the use of the DisplayPorts in the dock causes an issue with the Network Port.

David_J_W
802.11n
Views: 803
Message 5 of 6

I'm going to throw in a slightly random idea here. If the faulty configuration uses a shielded network patch cable, switch to an unshielded patch cable temporarily and see if that helps. I'm wondering if part of the problem might be some sort of weird grounding issue.

Former Employee
Views: 661
Message 6 of 6

While the Windows 7 USB driver for customers using X1 Carbon 4th Gen (Type: 20FB and 20FC) and X1 Yoga ThinkPad systems with a OneLink Pro+ has been released to restore Ethernet connections, failure analysis continues for customers running Windows 8.1 and Windows 10.

Lenovo has requested assistance from Intel. This issue appears to have a different root cause from what was seen with systems running Windows 7. As a result, the method of solution delivery and schedule have not yet been determined.

I will post again when I have more information.

Thank you,

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors