Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

04-28-2021

France

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Nano User Presence Detection / Zero touch login problem

2021-04-28, 8:11 AM

Hello, 

I have a X1 nano since few weeks, it cames with the Human Presence Sensor.

It works most of the time but there is an annoying problem that I have from the beginning, sometimes the screen stay black :

I go away from the screen, the computer screen is dimmed and then goes black and lock my windows session.

and sometimes, when i come back, the IR camera is blinking, the screen backlight turns on but it stays black. I need to close the lid, and open it again to get the display back.

So many times per day, i have to close / open lid when I go back front of the screen.

I'm working with windows 10 (20H2) up to date

Drivers are up to date according to the Lenovo tool "system update" or Lenovo Vantage

I've chatted with support but the only solution they gave me is to send the laptop back to Lenovo, which will be the very last solution for me as the laptop is my daily work machine.

Is someone had experienced this problem?

Thanks,

Options

2514 Posts

03-11-2020

Greece

271 Signins

12746 Page Views

• Views: 12746
  • Message 2 of 7

Re:X1 Nano User Presence Detection / Zero touch login problem

2021-04-28, 8:36 AM

Hi plop28,

Welcome to the Community Forums.

Here's some troubleshooting steps you can perform in an attempt to remedy the issue:

Step 1. Turn off "Fast Startup" (If available)

- Navigate to the windows icon in the bottom left, click it and start typing "Control Panel"
- While in Control Panel, navigate to the "Power Options" Icon / link.
- In the left column, click "Choose what closing the lid does"
- Click "Change Settings that are currently unavailable"
- Unmark "Turn on fast startup" (This does not affect Restarting the computer), but when it starts up again from sleep and/or hibernation.

Step 2. Check Camera Power Management.
- Press Windows Key + X, select Device Manager
- In Device Manager, expand the Camera section.
- Right click and select properties.
- Check Power Management, and make sure these devices are allowed to "Wake" the device.
- Uncheck "Allow the computer to turn this device off to save power"
- Hit "Apply" and exit and then "OK".

Step 3. System Board / Audio / Display drivers:
Make sure you have the newest Management Engine Interface drivers for your device along.
You can find and install the newest drivers from the Lenovo Support Page
Just plot in the serial number of the device and hit enter, might have to press it twice, then head to Drivers & Software, select Manual Update, then select "Chipset"

Hope this helps

Regards

Voithos

Did someone help you today? Press the thumbs-up icon below to thank them with a Kudos!!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Please don't ask me questions by Private Message; questions belong in the forums.

Options

9 Posts

04-28-2021

France

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2021-04-28, 9:53 AM

Hello Voithos,

Thanks for your reply !

I have checked if there was Intel ME firmware & software updates, i have downloaded the latest one, and it proposes me to upgrade. So I suppose it was not up to date.

Weird that Lenovo update tool didn't warn about it, despite the fact that it was a critical update.

After proper install and reboot. I have tried some lock/unlock, and the problem appears on the third try.

Then I wanted to disable the FastBoot in Power Management.

After a reboot and at least 15 tries, no problem. So it could be THE solution.

I will test during the week and I will go back to accept your solution as answer if the problem is definitely gone.

Thanks Voithos

Options

9 Posts

04-28-2021

France

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2021-04-29, 13:10 PM

Hello, 

Unfortunately, today the problem is back. Few times, the screen stays black and I need to do the lid close/open trick.

I working on battery since this morning (Better battery selected) . I was plugged in yesterday, that's the only change I see.

I couldn't find the Camera Power Management tab on device manager so I can't try the step2.

I saw a weird thing on Lenovo Vantage, but I don't think it is related. It proposes me to update the Camera Driver but it is already installed. 

I tried to uninstall / reinstall but Lenovo Vantage keeps asking me to update. (see attached file)

Do you have other options ? Anyone else ? 

Thanks for your help

Options

6 Posts

06-08-2021

United States of America

24 Signins

145 Page Views

• Views: 145
  • Message 5 of 7

2021-06-10, 14:49 PM

I received a new X1 Nano this week and it is also having the same problem.  I was on Win10 20H2 and then did a clean install of 21H1 (for unrelated reasons) and I am still experiencing the problem.

Options

9 Posts

04-28-2021

France

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2021-06-16, 13:56 PM

Hello muggle, 

I had installed 20H2 without any problem, maybe your X1 is shipped with another controller than mine. I did the 21H1 update too.

I'm still having this problem. disabling the User Presence Sensing in Lenovo Vantage helps but sometimes i get this problem again. So i guess it is not related. Maybe a screen problem or energy saving problem. Hope that Lenovo will find a solution.

Options

9 Posts

04-28-2021

France

7 Signins

40 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2021-06-19, 8:03 AM

I think i have found a solution for this problem, but this is only a workaround, and not a good one i guess.

It's a long time Lenovo problem and affects many models and I think the X1 nano has it too.

Please try to disable security chip in BIOS and let us know if the problem is gone.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms