Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Views: 75
  • Message 1 of 8

X1 Nano - overheating when used with external monitors

2021-06-07, 8:27 AM

Hello.

I would like to find out if anyone else has a similar experience - that is the X1 Nano overheats when running with two external monitors at 4K?

I have a X1 Nano i7-1160G7. I use it (a) by itself; (b) with a Lenovo USB-C Travel Hub; or (c) Thinkpad Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2.

When I use it with the Thunderbolt Dock, it is jerky and laggy even when doing trivial tasks such as typing in Microsoft Word with several web pages, a couple of PDFs and Outlook open. It recovers and works normally again but then it slows down and becomes practically unusable. Sometimes starting Lenovo Vantage will cause the whole computer to slow down / lock up.

I eventually tracked down the slow / laggy issue to the fact that the CPU speed would drop to 0.4Ghz for some time before returning to normal speed. I understand this to be a protective mechanism that kicks in when the CPU is overheating.

I do not have this problem when using the X1 Nano by itself. I also do not have this problem when using the X1 Nano with the USB-C Travel Hub running a 1920x1080 monitor through VGA. So, I wondered if the overheating is because I use the X1 Nano with the Thunderbolt Dock running two external monitors at 4K through Displayport.

I tried running the X1 Nano with the Thunderbolt Dock with two external monitors:

1. both at 1920x1080 - the problem went away

2. both at 2880x1620 - the jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem came back but less frequently

3. one at 3840x2160 and one at 1920x1080 - the jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem came back often

I tried running the X1 Nano with the Thunderbolt Dock with one external monitor at 3840x1620 - the problem went away

I then tried to adjust the power settings when running both external monitors at 4K through the Thunderbolt Dock:

1. Best performance (plugged in) - Auto Mode On - original setting. jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem

2. Best performance (plugged in) - Auto Mode Off- jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem

3. Better performance (plugged in) - Auto Mode On - jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem

4. Better performance (plugged in) - Auto Mode Off - jerky/laggy and 0.4Ghz problem but less frequently

5. Best battery (plugged in) - Auto Mode On - the problem went away

6. Best battery (plugged in) - Auto Mode Off- the problem went away

I am running the latest BIOS/drivers/firmware.

Is this a problem that can be fixed with an update?

Answer
Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

Re:X1 Nano - overheating when used with external monitors

2021-06-11, 0:44 AM

@Lorenzo_Lenovo 

The problem appears to be fixed after I requested a repair.

The heat sink/fan assembly was replaced and fresh thermal paste put on the CPU.

So far, running two external monitors at 4K, Best Performance (Auto On), charging at 65W through the dock has suffered any slowdown for routine tasks.

I have yet to try running Zoom/Teams - hopefully it will still be fine.

Thank goodness for next business day on-site repair!

Replies(7)
Options

2074 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

142 Signins

10535 Page Views

• Views: 10535
  • Message 2 of 8

2021-06-07, 13:55 PM

Hello epigramic,

Greetings

Are the BIOS, firmware and drivers up to date, matching the ones available in the support site?
Kindly try to uninstall the display driver, completely remove it from the system by ticking the box to fully uninstall.

Then go to the support site, download and install a fresh copy of the driver.
Observe and update us how it goes.

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 3 of 8

2021-06-07, 15:26 PM

Hi! Thanks for the prompt reply.I am using all the latest drivers - checked both on Vantage and the support website.Reinstalling does not help.

I wish to give an update that when running Zoom or Teams, the problem becomes more pronounced.

The laggy/jerky 0.4Ghz problem occurs even when running only 1 external monitor at 1920x1080.

Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 4 of 8

2021-06-09, 15:32 PM

Hi,

I have taken a video to illustrate the problem. 

X1 Nano connected to Thunderbolt 3 Dock Gen 2, running two external monitors at 2880 x 1620. Two Chrome tabs open. Running Lenovo Vantage.

When installing a driver, the CPU is lowered to 0.4Ghz and the installation is very slow and stuck for a long time.

Once I unplug the thunderbolt cable, the CPU speed increases and the installation continues. 

And I observed a new thing - even when not connected to the dock and just running Vantage, the CPU will still drop to 0.4Ghz! But lucky this is at 99% and it eventually completes the job. 

So I am not sure if it is an external monitor problem or dock problem anymore. Seems to be a X1 Nano problem

I use this same dock with two external monitors with a X1 Carbon 7th gen, T480s and L14 and none of them have this CPU drop to very low speed problem. 

Answer
Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 5 of 8

2021-06-11, 0:44 AM

@Lorenzo_Lenovo 

The problem appears to be fixed after I requested a repair.

The heat sink/fan assembly was replaced and fresh thermal paste put on the CPU.

So far, running two external monitors at 4K, Best Performance (Auto On), charging at 65W through the dock has suffered any slowdown for routine tasks.

I have yet to try running Zoom/Teams - hopefully it will still be fine.

Thank goodness for next business day on-site repair!

0 person found this solution to be helpful.

This helped me too

Options

2074 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

142 Signins

10535 Page Views

• Message 6 of 8

2021-06-11, 16:50 PM

Glad to hear it's ok now.
Keep us posted once you tested Zoom/Teams
Stay safe

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Options

9 Posts

06-07-2021

Singapore

8 Signins

75 Page Views

• Message 7 of 8

2021-06-12, 1:44 AM

I am happy to report that no problems were encountered running Zoom / Teams after the repair.

Zoom / Teams used to bring the laptop to a crawl even with one external monitor at 1920x1080. It is working great now!

Options

2074 Posts

01-08-2021

Philippines

142 Signins

10535 Page Views

• Message 8 of 8

2021-06-14, 21:25 PM

Glad to hear that it's working great now
We appreciate for updating us
Take care and stay safe

Regards, 
Lorenzo_Lenovo

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms