07-15-2014

US

102 Signins

654 Page Views

• Views: 654
  • Message 1 of 3

X1 Tablet Gen 2 hangs on restart

2019-12-23, 5:33 AM

I have an X1 Tablet 2nd Gen with a ThinkPad USB 3.0 Pro dock attached to its USB port. I use it as a desktop replacement so it is always docked.

When Windows 10 reboots after installing updates, the machine hangs indefinitely at the "To iinterrupt normal startup, press Enter or tap here" screen:

This happened most recently while I was traveling, meaning I was unable to access my desktop remotely. (I have been unable to get vPro to to work in pre-boot environment since it only connects via Wi-Fi, which is not active at this point.)

In the past, I've noticed that when this happens, if I remove the USB cable, and restart the machine, it comes up fine. I thought I had fixed the issue once by changing the startup boot order (I think moving USB down in priority), but obviously it hasn't been enough.

How can I get this machine to successfully complete an unattended reboot? The only thing I can think of is to attach a remote-control power brick (TP-Link et. al.) and if it gets hung, power it off and let the battery drain before powering it back on. Definitely not ideal since it takes time to drain the battery.

Options

1815 Posts

08-02-2018

US

697 Signins

10126 Page Views

• Views: 10126
  • Message 2 of 3

Re: X1 Tablet Gen 2 hangs on restart

2019-12-23, 14:43 PM

Hi mcbsys! What is the current OS build version running on your device as well as the BIOS version? You can get the system information by typing msinfo on the search box at the bottom left side. Try resetting the BIOS settings to default. Once you are in the BIOS page, go to the Exit Tab --> Choose Load default settings --> Hit the Enter Key --> Choose Yes. After that, still in the Exit Tab --> Choose Exit saving changes. Once the computer restarts, check if the issue is the same.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow us @LenovoSupport on Facebook and Twitter!

Options

57 Posts

07-15-2014

US

102 Signins

654 Page Views

• Views: 654
  • Message 3 of 3

Re: X1 Tablet Gen 2 hangs on restart

2019-12-23, 18:01 PM

Hi Jwes,

It's Windows 10 Pro 1909  (10.0.18363).

BIOS is N1OE49W (1.34) dated 5/15/2019. I'll go ahead and update that to 1.35. I see that that there is also an update to the Power Management driver available (1.67.17.28 to 1.67.17.48); I guess that won't hurt.

I can reset the BIOS, but what will that accomplish? I expect it will wipe out my vPro and TPM settings and put the USB boot ahead of the hard drive again?

This will be difficult to test as it only seems to happen when the restart is initiated by Windows Update. If I initiate a retart manually, it's more likely to succeed.

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete