Welcome to our peer-to-peer forums, where owners help owners. Need help now? Visit eSupport here.

English Community

ThinkPad NotebooksThinkPad: X Series Laptops
All Forum Topics
Options

2 Posts

10-09-2017

Denmark

1 Signins

1190 Page Views

• Views: 1190
  • Message 1 of 54

X1 The battery is not detected. try reinstalling or recharging the battery to solve the problem?

2017-10-09, 7:13 AM

Hi Everyone.

One of our users battery stop working in his X1 Carbon. The warranty for the battery was expired, so we ordered a new battery for his X1 Carbon. Now the battery has arrived and i have installed the battery in the laptop. The battery works just fine, but Windows says "The battery is not detected. try reinstalling or recharging the battery to solve the problem.".

Windows can't show if the laptop is charging and how much charg there is left in the battery. I have tried various things to find a solution, but nothing has worked yet.

Links to things i had tried:
https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/ThinkPad-X-Series-Laptops/the-battery-is-not-detected-try-reinstalling-or-recharging-the/td-p/2113753

I hope some fine folks can help me with this problem. Thanks

Best regards - Martin RTX A/S

Options

1 Posts

04-18-2020

Australia

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Views: 0
  • Message 2 of 54

Re:X1 The battery is not detected. try reinstalling or recharging the battery to solve the problem?

2020-04-18, 8:31 AM

I have the exact same problem. Would love any help.

Options

12 Posts

04-22-2020

United States of America

11 Signins

40 Page Views

• Views: 40
  • Message 3 of 54

Re:X1 The battery is not detected. try reinstalling or recharging the battery to solve the problem?

2020-04-22, 16:10 PM

Same problem here. Thinkpad X1 Carbon 20QD Laptop, ordered in late Fall 2019. 

Battery not detected, battery not found, laptop shuts off when I unplug the power cord. Then a day later the battery is back. The cycle continues.

Spent $1,700 on this laptop, I hope that Lenovo prioritizes this and is able to resolve.

Options

1 Posts

04-23-2020

Zambia

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 4 of 54

2020-04-23, 19:48 PM

i have a 4month X1 Carbon and it is not detecting the battery. it has battery power but does not show state of charge, what do i do?

Options

1 Posts

04-28-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

5 Page Views

• Views: 5
  • Message 5 of 54

2020-04-29, 0:05 AM

My Lenovo Thinkpad X1 Carbon has the same problem. "The battery is not detected. Try reinstalling or recharging the battery to solve the problem."

I bought it in Sep 2019. Today is 4/28/2020. Still under warranty. Product number: 20QD0000US. Bios version: N2HET47W 1.30.

GUI for Lenovo Diagnostics sometimes can communicate with the battery and run its battery tests. And the battery passed the tests. Sometimes, the program cannot communicate with the battery and cannot conduct the tests.

Windows 10 interface cannot read the battery charge level reliably. Sometimes it reads correctly, apparently. Sometimes reads as 255% or 100% or cannot read. Problem started in past 2 weeks and is occurring more frequently in past couple days.

Is this a software or hardward problem? It seems to be a repeated problem, since several people have added to this post. Anyone found a solution?

Options

3 Posts

05-01-2020

Thailand

4 Signins

15 Page Views

• Views: 15
  • Message 6 of 54

2020-05-01, 2:17 AM

I just started having this problem, too, after many months of no problems with this ThinkPad Carbon X1. I suspect it's a driver or software update issue that must have started after a recent update. I recently updated Windows so that could have caused it.

Options

1 Posts

05-02-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 7 of 54

2020-05-02, 16:32 PM

Same here. I bought Carbon X1 September 2019. It will go black suddenly and very frequently; really drives me crazy.

Options

1 Posts

05-03-2020

Spain

2 Signins

0 Page Views

• Message 8 of 54

2020-05-03, 12:08 PM

Same problem here with my X1 tablet 2nd Gen. To be sure I tried also with live Linux and there when the batter is full, offers 12 hours usage. In Windows max 4 hours. And shut downs suddenly as give 'no battery detected' message. Other problem, it takes 4-5 hours to full charge, really strange. This my 6th thinkpad but really this time it makes me crazy.

Options

1 Posts

05-06-2020

United States of America

1 Signins

10 Page Views

• Views: 10
  • Message 9 of 54

2020-05-06, 11:22 AM

I have been experiencing similar issues with a ThinkPad Carbon X1 (7th Gen, 20QE; from fall 2019) over the past month or so. I have 225% battery when plugged in, and "Unknown remaining" when not plugged in. I have also experienced some abrupt shutdowns (twice) and the problem has come, gone and come again. Just now got the pop-up with the Hardware Issue message.

I just talked to TechSupport, and got a possible solution through a battery reset. This process shouldn't be done frequently, but might solve the issue for long periods of time. I was told to not expect to have to do this more than once every 6 months or so, and that it can reappear with frequent use of docking stations and/or charging (seems weird, but whatever, their issue for now). 

The procedure is as such:

• save all work and close all programs (for your own sake)
  • unplug computer
  • press reset button for at least 20 seconds. The "button" is a small hold on the underside of your laptop, kind of like the SIM card-slot open "button". This will turn off the computer.
  • plug computer back in
  • restart and see if problem is solved

If solved, the great! If not, contact support. If the issue resurfaces within a month or two, contact tech support again, because then there are other issues at play, which a reset cannot help. 

For my case, my computer now actually has a battery estimate that is less than or equal to 100%, and consistent whether or not it's plugged in. 

So, hope that can maybe help some of you out there  :) 

Options

4 Posts

01-05-2020

Turkey

7 Signins

120 Page Views

• Views: 120
  • Message 10 of 54

2020-05-11, 13:04 PM
Hello there, did this solve your problem? Would you recommend it after your experience?
Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete

X

No, I don’t want to share ideas Yes, I agree to these terms