Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
LJG6972
Paper Tape
Views: 1,130
Message 1 of 22

X1 Thinkpad Yoga 2nd GEN- Netflix issues

I just purchased two 2nd gen yoga thinkpads. I am trying to play a movie through the updated netflix app and the video just flickers .  Not sure if this is a Yoga issue or Netflix problem. 

I have tried reloading the app and rebooting.  I thought it may be a Yoga issue if both of my Yogas are having the same exact issue. Video plays fine through any other app or browser. 

Thanks for your help. 

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,088
Message 2 of 22

Re: X1 Thinkpad Yoga 2nd GEN- Netflix issues

Mine does the exactly the same thing. Only with the Netflix application, not with Netflix via a web browser, or with any other program or video player I have tried. As a workaround, I can usually fix it if I pause the flickering movie and then cycle the screen brightness from 50% to 75% to 100% to 0% to 25% and back to (my normal) 50%. It will play just fine after that, even in fullscreen, without any of the flickering. I use the Lenovo supplied battery/screen icon in the System Tray; it's five clicks and takes less time than typing this in.  Smiley Happy The Netflix App flicker is a horrible brutal flickering, btw, taking the screen from at least 100% to completely off and then back...

I'm gussing that the Netflix application is sending some commands to the screen that aren't supported on our OLED X1 Yogas. But that's just a guess; I'm not a Windows programmer. I suspect there are different ways to talk to the screen, and some of them override the (minimal) color management functions. Maybe the Netflix application is sending a command to set the screen to maximum brightness and there's something about it that our screen driver doesn't like.

For example, when I use Grover Podcast to view a video podcast, it switches my Color Setting from my normal setting (Photo Pro) to Native. But it's a nice citizen, switching to Native only while Grover Podcast is on top. I suspect that color mangement under Windows is not quite there yet and Lenovo is trying to build some (color management) into our OLED Yogas. Note that every time the Intel HD Graphics driver is updated, one has to manually re-install Lenovo ChromaTune (by  forcing a re-install of the Lenovo System Interface Foundation) before Color Settings will work.

I wonder if the Netflix application has this problem on every X1 Yoga Gen2? If so, since it came pre-installed, I'm surprised that Lenovo hasn't done something about it.

Hmm, I just noticed you never mentioned what type of screen your Yogas had, I just presumed. Smiley Embarassed  Are they OLED?

CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 1,053
Message 3 of 22

Hi. X1 Yoga gen2 OLED here. Never had any issue with the Netflix app and I tried it again, just to be sure...
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 1,047
Message 4 of 22

I wonder what the difference between my setup (and LJG6972's setup) and yours is.
CharlyAR
802.11n
Views: 957
Message 5 of 22

I'd guess is software related... I deactivated all Intel services and apps related to video because they never offer anything and are annoying. Maybe it has something to do with that?
_

ThinkPad X1 Yoga, ThinkPad X230, ThinkPad S430, ThinkPad T420, ThinkPad E420s, ThinkPad E10s

MJL34
Paper Tape
Views: 927
Message 6 of 22

Brand new X1 Yoga (Gen 2) OLED owner here with EXACTLY the same issue. This happened to me right out of the box without any changes in settings yet. Pretty violent flickering -- but so far only with Netflix. Any update on a fix -- or cause? Thanks.

sygnus21
Fanfold Paper
Views: 916
Message 7 of 22

Thank you for posting this. I too have this issue with Netflex and thought as first it was the laptop itself. Was going to send it back to Lenovo.  BTW my X1 2nd gen has the OLED screen.  

Anyway I too have this flickering issue and have to click around the screen to get out out it. However once that's done, I have no other issues.  This screen flickering only happens when Netflix loads a movie for play.  Once out of it, the movies play without issue.

LJG6972
Paper Tape
Views: 844
Message 8 of 22

Yes , My Yoga is an OLED screen 

LJG6972
Paper Tape
Views: 841
Message 9 of 22

I went into Adaptive brightness and turned both settings off. This seemed to fix the issue when your PC is either plugged in or on battery.
tvBilly1
SCSI Port
Views: 804
Message 10 of 22

Didn't fix it for me. Smiley Sad
Top Kudoed Authors