Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
mikimedic
Token Ring
Views: 133
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Camera 'hijacked' by an unknown app

As of recently, while checking the camera in Vantage, it started to behave strangely. Turns on for max 3 seconds, followed by black screen and the message 'another app is using the camera. pls close that app and try again'.

Went to camera privacy settings (in windows 10) and while keeping the camera on, turned off all other apps but Vantage, and didn't help. Same goes if I try it just with Camera app, or with Skype. Also tried random camera testing websites and the same story repeats - it is on up to 3 seconds, then goes off/turns black. 

Checked the drivers adn all seems to be in order. 

Anyone experienced similar problem? 

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 122
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 1st Gen - Camera 'hijacked' by an unknown app

What are you using for anti-virus?  Can you run a full scan?

I sometimes run this:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/17466/windows-defender-offline-help-protect-my-pc

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
mikimedic
Token Ring
Views: 94
Message 3 of 4

Am using Norton Security. I have just tried to disable it temporarily and ran Defender offline scan, as per the link you provided. It went on successfully, and didn't find anything (interestingly enough, I can't see the scan results under 'protection history' it just reads 'no recent actions'.

I have just tried camera again through vantage, and the problem persists. Oddly enough, tried using camera app (turning off access of all other apps, vantage included); this time does not say 'used by another app'; instead, behaves erratically, like restarting itself after 3 seconds. tried recording a video, stops after three seconds, and then goes back to idle mode... like a camera permanent restart look...
mikimedic
Token Ring
Views: 59
Message 4 of 4

Just to report that some days later, out of blue, camera started working normally. Unfortunately cannot explain as to what was a problem. 

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors