cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
rbflapjack
Paper Tape
Views: 1,257
Message 1 of 7

X1 Yoga (1st Gen) Keyboard Not working even after replacement. Lights and trackbuttons ok. No keys.

My X1 Yoga keyboard stopped responding suddenly. Was working fine, walked away for 15 minutes, came back to wake from sleep and no key response. Track button and click buttons on keyboard work fine. Caps lock and F1 indicator lights don't work either. The touchpad is fine. None of the keys work at all. Didn't install any new software or updates. Bought replacement keyboard from laptopkeyboard.com and replaced but still same exact issue so don't believe it is a faulty membrane (as suspected).  Pulling hair out trying to understand.  Only thought is maybe either the system board or the ribbon cable from the keyboard to the board went bad.  There are two ribbon cables from the keyboard to the system board.  My guess is one is for the track buttons and the other for the keys.  Before replacing these, hoping someone has some other idea (maybe like a simple software glitch?).  Thanks. 

Also, forgot to mention that Device Manager and the Lenovo Solution Center show no issues and an external USB keyboard works fine.

rbflapjack
Paper Tape
Views: 1,236
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga (1st Gen) Keyboard Not working even after replacement. Lights and trackbuttons ok. No ke

elem030
Paper Tape
Views: 1,230
Message 3 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga (1st Gen) Keyboard Not working even after replacement. Lights and trackbuttons ok. No ke

This has literally happened to me today as well.  Same symptoms.  I did not replace the keyboard - but upadated all drivers, etc.  No go.  Have no clue what to do... Anyone have this issue resolved?

rbflapjack
Paper Tape
Views: 1,224
Message 4 of 7

This may be promising.  I doubt it is a physical issue then.  Maybe something with a windows update.  Here is something I found online but haven't tried yet:

Method 1. Turn Off Filter Keys to Fix Windows 10 Anniversary Update Keyboard Not Working Issue

After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, then the keyboard goes completely dead and can't type anything anywhere. The blue light is on, but all keys are not functioning. If you experience the same symptom, you could follow these steps to resolve the Windows 10 Anniversary Update keyboard not working problem.

Step 1. Click Start and then click Settings

Step 2. Click on Ease of access

Step 3. Click Keyboard in the left pane

Step 4. Turn off Filter Keys in the right pane

elem030
Paper Tape
Views: 1,221
Message 5 of 7

I tried it, no go.
elem030
Paper Tape
Views: 1,216
Message 6 of 7

I tried all the options out there, the Filter Keys, updating BIOS, rolling back updates, drivers, deleting files. Nothing. I did a system restore and nothing still. They keyboard is lighting up for a second here or there and dies. No idea. I'll wipe the whole thing soon...
rbflapjack
Paper Tape
Views: 1,197
Message 7 of 7

This won't be much help to you but mine is working again. I went into the Ease of Access settings, the Filter Keys wasn't turned on, but I turned it on, turned it off, and all of a sudden the keys were working again.  Very strange.

Not sure what to suggest to you now.  We didn't get much help from the forum. Does your trackbutton work or the backlight?  My only guess is to replace the keyboard.  It took me about 2.5 hours to do.  You don't need any special tools (just small philips screwdriver).  There is a maintenance manual online.  Sorry I can't help more.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors