Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New2ForumLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 279
Message 1 of 7

X1 Yoga 1st Gen virtualization and other bios settings disabled

Can someone please advise if they have Virtualization support (for VT-x) enabled with the same Yoga 1st gen?  Also, some other settings that I am unable to change are the boot order sequence.  Thanks!  I just purchased the 1st Gen X1 Yoga, laptop second hand and noticed the BIOS (UEFI BIOS) has some number of items disabled or enabled without the ability to be changing them. 

I did some reading up on the ThinkCentre and Thinkpad but still couldn't find an answer about this. 

I even updated the BIOS to the latest release successfully from the Lenovo support website.

But the same options that were there are there still and are also still "greyed out".

Why can my Yoga not make use of VT-x?  Also how could I somehow be altering the boot order either from inside the BIOS or not?  Something else I am aware and definitely willing to try if it makes sense is to Reset the device...but only if that is necessary, since I would not want to have to take a chance of bricking this newly acquired machine.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 267
Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga 1st Gen virtualization and other bios settings disabled

Hello and welcome,

It's not something I've ever messed with  but my guess is that you have a BIOS supervisor password set.  AFAIK that leaves some options grayed out.

If that's the case you'll need to get the password from the seller.  There's no back door and Lenovo service can't change it either.  A motherboard swap is the only way to get around that kind of password.

Again, this is a bit above my pay grade. Perhaps others will have other suggestions.

My X1Y G1 BIOS definitely supports VT-x and boot menu options and changes.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

New2ForumLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 245
Message 3 of 7

Thank you zoltanthegypsy, your words are truly focused on solving this problem for me so thank you for suggesting a possible answer.  UnfortunatelyI have been going in-'n'-out of the bios so I am pretty confident when I say there are few passwords that I can actually alter (the supervisor one is actually something I need to check, but it never prompted me for it, and I am therefore assuming it doesn't exist or isn't set).  But I will check and post back, maybe it is something quirky in the options, like changing the power, security, etc. setting and boom it unlocks the rest of the BIOS features?  Otherwise, without a technician what would be my best hope to either go through with a reset or is that also frowned on?  (I have no data or information on this laptop that I need.)

New2ForumLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 239
Message 4 of 7

Hi again, it's me...maybe another thought as I did just look in the BIOS it does say that the supervisor password is enabled...Not really sure what that means though, because it doesn't ask for one. But another curious thing I noticed with the fingerprint reader, the setting is enabled for Pre-Booting or something like that (pre-bootup maybe), could this be related to the last owner's fingerprint data locking the BIOS in any way? As I mentioned, the BIOS isn't actually locking me out, just restricted access to some of the options in there, very weird!
New2ForumLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 229
Message 5 of 7

Also just waiting to find out about the supervisor password if it was previously set by the last owner. It is a weird thing to have to explain, but hopefully there is something that can be done to remedy the situation, either they have a password for me, or else what next do I start to guess the thousands of common passcodes...probably unreasonable to think so. But it may be premature at this point since I don't actually know if there is a solution yet here!
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 229
Message 6 of 7

And hi again to you,

My understanding of the supervisor password is that its function is exactly what you see:  restrict some BIOS changes.

You'll need to remove the password - and you'll have to know what it is to do that.

This may be a bit dated but I believe it describes the situation:

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/ht036206

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsche    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Moto English

New2ForumLenovo
Paper Tape
Views: 212
Message 7 of 7

In theory do you suppose that if I needed to replace the chip or whatever that it would be possible (without a receipt for the laptop I mean.)  I doubt it is still under warranty or anything like that, but I would like to have the full system access and it doesn't look like I will be able to recover the id/passcode for the supervisor for the system.  I can't believe I didn't think to ask this before buying this machine.  I am really bummed out Smiley Sad

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors