Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
EatCroc3
Punch Card
Views: 494
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 1st gen OLED display bands/flicker - started with Windows update

The OLED display has developed various artifacts that occur with brightness above about 40; below that brightness, the display is perfect. The screen flickers; at higher brightness, gray and colored bands start to appear in the top half of the screen, with some jittery artifacts near the top.

What is interesting is that this problem started suddenly, on the same day as an automatic Windows 10 update. The update was KB4100347: Intel microcode updates (for the Spectre vulnerability). This update is for CPU microcode, not display microcode, but the coincidence is hard to ignore.

Windows Update and Lenovo Vantage report that everything on my computer is up to date. I have manually updated the drivers for Intel HD Graphics 520, OLED Display 2560x1440, and Intel OLED Panel Driver; this has not improved the behavior. Also, I tried turning off Panel Self-Refresh, which didn't help either (but that was for a rather different problem).

This really seems like a software problem, so I am looking for other things to try before requesting Lenovo service. (The computer is two years old and out of warranty.)

EatCroc3
Punch Card
Views: 442
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 1st gen OLED display bands/flicker - started with Windows update

Well, it's a hardware problem after all. The symptoms disappeared for a while, then came back in a somewhat different manifestation. Also, they occur even on a BIOS screen, so clearly they have nothing to do with Windows drivers. The fact that the symptoms first occurred immediately after a Windows Update seems to be a coincidence.

atj13200
What's DOS?
Views: 414
Message 3 of 4

I have the same issue with my Lenovo Yoga X1.  Warranty expired in Sept. 2018 so just a year and three months old laptop, but display was replaced in July 2018 by authorized Lenovo repair facility due to an accident.  Display is little more than half a year old.

Horizontal bands across display intermittant at first, now all the time making it unuseable.

Rather disappointing for an expensive laptop ($2K) just a few months out of warranty to fail.

EatCroc3
Punch Card
Views: 227
Message 4 of 4

Just a further update on my experience --

The problem disappeared and reappeared intermittently; it once went away for nearly a month. Eventually, it was failing pretty consistently, so I took it to a Lenovo authorized repair facility. They concluded that the screen itself was defective and required replacement. They advised that OLED screens were back-ordered and might not be available for several months, but then a screen arrived a few weeks later and they installed it (about $900 including parts and labor).

Everything was fine for a few months, but then the problem reappeared intermittently, pretty much the same as before. Either the new screen is also defective or there is some other problem (not detected by diagnostics). The display adapter is not at fault, since it works fine with an external monitor even while the OLED screen is misbehaving.

Judging from my experience and that of other posters in this forum, it seems that the OLED screen has been troublesome for many people. It's also worth noting that Lenovo no longer offers OLED screens in newer models of the X1 Yoga. For anyone who is experiencing this problem, my recommendation is not to repair it; you may be throwing good money after bad.

And we're back...

Move delayed but still coming

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors