Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Len-Thinkpad
Paper Tape
Views: 1,024
Message 1 of 4

X1 Yoga 1st gen change HDD to SSD

Hi guys, I got the X1 yoga 1st gen (20FR0041AR) and read on the internet that replacing your laptops hdd drive with a ssd makes it way faster. My computer also has 256gb and I´d like a 512gb ssd instead. I would like to know if its possible to replace my hdd with an ssd, which model should it be (please reccommend me some) and how to do it (im not an expert but if it is quite easy i can do it on my own).

Thanks!

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,019
Message 2 of 4

Re: X1 Yoga 1st gen change HDD to SSD

Hello and welcome,

Your X1Y G1 doesn't have a hdd.  The only options were a SATA or NVMe SSD.

If you have a SATA drive now replacing it with an NVMe drive would greatly increase the storage speed.  Whether you'd notice much of a difference is hard to say - and depends on your use case.  You can go to a larger drive of either "flavor".

Unfortunately I can't find 20FR0041AR here on the Lenovo site so I can't say what drive you have.  Take a look in Device Manager for the drive's model number and search on that and/or report it here.

As far as the physical drive swap, have a look here:

Hardware Maintenance Manual - ThinkPad X1 Carbon (Type 20FB, 20FC), X1 Yoga

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Len-Thinkpad
Paper Tape
Views: 1,015
Message 3 of 4

thx for your answer. my drive is a THNSF5256GPU7 toshiba, according to the task manager.
I dont really know what a sata and a nvme ssd´s are. would you explain them for me?
so you´re saying i do have an ssd?
Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 1,007
Message 4 of 4

You have an SSD.  According to Toshiba it's an NVMe drive, so swapping in another NVMe unit wouldn't speed things up but you could get higher capacity if that's your goal.

https://www.db-tech-showcase.com/wp-content/dbts_museum/Toshiba/Toshiba_catalog_EN.pdf

The primary difference visible to the end user between SATA and PCIe/NVMe is speed.  SATA maxes out at ~ 600MB/sec, PCIe x4 at ~3000MB/sec.  There's more to it than that, and not every laptop supports both.  Frequently it's one or the other.  In this case your X1Y can support either - in a 2280 form factor.

https://www.userbenchmark.com/Faq/What-s-the-difference-between-SATA-PCIe-and-NVMe/105

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Türkçe    Moto English

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors