06-28-2018

US

416 Signins

2906 Page Views

• Views: 2906
  • Message 1 of 7

X1 Yoga 2 auto-rotation issue

2018-12-18, 15:15 PM

The X1 Yoga 2 has an issue where locking rotation in tablet/tent mode while the screen is rotated to an orientation that is not the same as laptop/landscape mode does not auto-reset to the correct orientation when returned to laptop mode. It also disables the rotation lock toggle in the Win10 action center so that the user cannot just rotate to the correct orientation. 

Flip from laptop to tent or tablet mode, then change the orientation to any mode that isn't the same as the way it is in laptop mode (say Portrait), and "Lock Rotation". Then, revert to laptop mode. The orientation will be stuck in the tablet orientation, but since it's locked in laptop mode, won't let you revert it. You have to flip it back to tablet/tent, unlock "Lock Rotation", and flip back into laptop mode for it to appear correctly. 

I noticed this a while back. I do this a lot as I'll be configuring something like a router or switch in laptop mode, then flip to a tablet and walk around in tablet/portrait mode monitoring the network (or chasing wireless dead spots with a wifi signal app). When I need to go back to laptop mode (to use the physical keyboard for configuration in an SSH session), I have to remember to get the orientation right (or unlock "Lock Rotation") before I flip back or it'll get stuck.

Fujitsu T-series laptops have a little app that allows you to set which is the preferred for each mode in the control panel, which then sets that for you when you change from laptop to tablet. I'm assuming that something like that could be/should be in Vantage (or as a configured system task) to do that. Or, is there a registry setting to force orientation for different modes?

Options

6349 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17602 Signins

160700 Page Views

• Views: 160700
  • Message 2 of 7

Re: X1 Yoga 2 auto-rotation issue

2018-12-20, 0:44 AM

We are discussing this internally, and will check with Microsoft about their vision for how things "should" work.  We agree that having the orientation locked as portrait when you are using the PC as a laptop is not an ideal experience.  My only suggestion (for now) is to install iRotate or some similar 3rd-party software that allows you to quickly change the screen orientation with a keyboard shortcut, for those times when it is set/locked in a wrong orientation.

Options

88 Posts

06-28-2018

US

416 Signins

2906 Page Views

• Message 3 of 7

2018-12-20, 3:45 AM

Sounds good. I understand about the locking when in laptop mode, as there is only one "right" orientation for the user and the user shouldn't be flipping the screen around. I can't think of any reason that any of our staff here would want landscape flipped in laptop mode, other than to play a prank on somebody else.

I think that if there was an implementation that forced the screen into landscape (normal) orientation when in entering laptop mode (no matter what tent/tablet mode was whether portrait, portait flipped, or landscape flipped) that it would be "correct". Could this be something like a simple piece of code when you are customizing the Intel Graphics driver?

Fujitsu's utility works between their "Auto Rotation Utility" and the "Function Manager". You can use this little control panel applet when in each device mode (laptop or tablet) to save the current orientation. It will then auto set that mode when you switch into the device mode or back. It looks like the Dell has something coded into the driver that forces a return to landscape on laptop mode.

When I get a bit of time and get things around here wound down for the year, I'm going to look to see if there's any Win APIs that will report the physical device mode and probably hack together a quick service that'll force landscape orientation on laptop mode. I know the APIs to choose orientation and detect tablet mode, but in Win10, the tablet mode response can be screwed up if the user toggles the "Tablet Mode" from action center (or doesn't choose it in tablet mode). It would be nice to have this work "natively" and not have another service eating cpu cycles (and battery life).

Options

88 Posts

06-28-2018

US

416 Signins

2906 Page Views

• Message 4 of 7

2019-01-08, 19:18 PM

wrote:

We are discussing this internally, and will check with Microsoft about their vision for how things "should" work.  We agree that having the orientation locked as portrait when you are using the PC as a laptop is not an ideal experience.  

@someotherguy Any word from the internal team or Microsoft about this issue? 

Options

6349 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17602 Signins

160700 Page Views

• Message 5 of 7

2019-01-10, 12:48 PM

wrote:

@someotherguy Any word from the internal team or Microsoft about this issue? 

No news yet, sorry...

Options

6349 Posts

10-29-2009

NC

17602 Signins

160700 Page Views

• Message 6 of 7

2019-01-11, 15:34 PM

We tested Microsoft SurfaceBook and Dell Inspiron 11-3158, both with their OEM factory preloads and fully updated by Windows Update.  But the behavior is same as X1 Yoga.  We agree that this is not a good experience, but in our opinion, it is obvious OS bug.  So we opened a bug and waiting for Microsoft's reply.  

Options

88 Posts

06-28-2018

US

416 Signins

2906 Page Views

• Message 7 of 7

2019-01-11, 17:48 PM

Sounds good. I agree that it should be fixed in the OS so that it's driver independent and standardized across all OEMs!

Forum Home

Community Guidelines

Please review our Guidelines before posting.

Learn More

Check out current deals!

Go Shop
X

Save

X

Delete