Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
chickenwings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,807
Message 1 of 13

X1 Yoga 2017 pushed back to summer??

Is this true, can someone from Lenovo confirm?

DonMannino
Punch Card
Views: 4,480
Message 2 of 13

Re: X1 Yoga 2017 pushed back to summer??

I was surprised by the delay - at CES Lenovo reps were saying these will start shipping in February.  Now there is a great silence online - with some guessing at June shipments.

Would love to hear a definitive update.

chickenwings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,470
Message 3 of 13

**bleep** shame there's no official word on this, it's the only laptop I was considering after exhaustive research (2nd would be the Yoga 720 15" but IMO X1 still kills it).

If they could at least say something, people like myself planning on a new device could assess our options with a timeframe in mind. Now I'm going to look elsewhere.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 4,433
Message 4 of 13

I certainly don't have an answer, but 2 common reasons for a delay are parts from suppliers not being available in sufficient quantities and difficulties getting certification from the FCC in the U.S. and other similar agencies in other countries. To me, any approvals from government agencies seem take a random amount of time.  I know that the machine was working in time for the Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, in early January.  I wrote a first-look-type review of a sample machine.  Mine can be described as "final hardware", but had a sticker saying it could not be sold until it received FCC certification.  I would assume that, since nearly 3 months have passed, they have gotten FCC approval, but that some components have been delayed.  There are many assemblies in a machine, like LCD panels, motherboards. keyboards, etc.  Each of those are made up of many components.  Lenovo (and other system builders) gets expected delivery dates from suppliers, based on expected delivery dates from their suppliers.  Delays at any stage are, obviously, passed through.  If Lenovo is getting delivery dates from suppliers like "very soon", it is impossible to give a helpful schedule update.

I can say that there is now a hardware maintenance manual on the support site and drivers are coming out, so I hope things are getting closer.  I can also say that I think it is a really nice machine and would be a good choice, if you can wait.  I use mine every day, and have had no problems.

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-CES-2017/Sneak-peek-ThinkPad-X1-Yoga-Generation-2-Review/td-p/35...

Rich

I do not respond to requests for private, one-on-one help. Your questions should be posted in the appropriate forum where they may help others as well.

If a response answers your question, please mark it as the accepted solution.

I am not an employee or agent of Lenovo.
chickenwings
Fanfold Paper
Views: 4,392
Message 5 of 13

Of course there's many reasons for delay such as you mention, that's perfectly normal part of the huge machine behind the scenes and that's not an issue to me. I just appreciate some communication because, again, business people (this device's market) generally plan more than the average person so I'd gladly wait if I had any idea when it might be available.

DonMannino
Punch Card
Views: 4,064
Message 6 of 13

I guess the issue for me is the lack of information from Lenovo. At one point I had viewed a page on their web site about the computer, but can't find it again.  A definitive availability date, or even a link for getting a notification, would be nice.

I was thinking they were trying to sell through the previous generation, but the selection of the preconfigured 1st generation models is down to 1. I see, though, that the customizations are still available.

I am ready for a new computer, and like most of us waiting for the new model isn't easy.

DonMannino
Punch Card
Views: 3,142
Message 7 of 13

The web site is now taking orders, with delivery in 5 weeks.

I placed my order today. :-)

xiayizju
Punch Card
Views: 3,131
Message 8 of 13

@DonMannino wrote:

The web site is now taking orders, with delivery in 5 weeks.

I placed my order today. :-)

Oh, not even waiting for the potentially possible 7660U Processor with Iris Plus 640 and 2133Mhz Memory? Oh, you made me want to take the move too even though I really want to have the specs I mentioned aboveSmiley Sad

keechoko
What's DOS?
Views: 3,126
Message 9 of 13

No narrow bezel, no wigig, no IR camera. But I decided I wasn't going to wait any longer. Ordered mine today! 

Falcon_CMH
Punch Card
Views: 3,115
Message 10 of 13

Just ordered one for my Daughter fully loaded, can't wait to see the OLED. I bought  4K OLED TV a few weeks ago and it is brilliant. Saw some reviews on the X1 Yoga Gen1 OLED screen and they raved on about it. Hope she likes it for college. I should have bought the Gen1 Yoga instead of the Carbon last year my mistake. I might buy another one to replace my Carbon if I like it.

The bad news it put my ship date out 6+ weeks instead of 5 weeks and has delivery even further July 5th.   That blows.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors