cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Gman3
What's DOS?
Views: 1,072
Message 31 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

Had the same results from the automatic lenovo upgrade to the graphics 520. went to the 20.19 prior version and seemed to solve the problem until microsoft sent out the same graphics upgrade this morning. Dead Screen once again. Deleted that upgrade and back to the 20.19. back working but now the touchscreen does not work and the usual adjustments via control panel dont help. Solutions ? Did 20.15.4505 work and touchscreen works ?

Gman3
What's DOS?
Views: 1,072
Message 32 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

My machine is a 20FQ. Same problem.
jbadry
Paper Tape
Views: 1,017
Message 33 of 65

I have 30 of these (20FQ), and it has been a complete disaster but thankfully we only have half of them in the field right now as we were mid deployment.  These are all executive users and mobile so this is highly impacting.

This hit us hard last Tuesday and we tried the patches mentioned in this and other threads; they did not work.  We did a manual uninstall of 4590 and installed 4352 that was also mentioned in these threads.  So far we've had lots of glitches with transitioning between docked (mostly onelink+), tvs, and standalone; the previous drivers were very stable, but I do not have those downloaded so can't go back to a known good version.

We thought we had it managed; we turned off scheduled updates in Lenovo System Update, and then boom, it reinstalls on everyone over the weekend/today depending on when they powered their devices on.  Ugh....

I've uninstalled Lenovo System Update now, but we are still stuck on 4352 which is a terrible version for us.

Any thoughts?  Is there a download for 4463 which we had on one which thankfully had no wifi when this happened, or some people have mentioned a 4505?

tmontague
Paper Tape
Views: 1,010
Message 34 of 65

Per my earlier post (#20), have you tried the following as an interim fix until Lenovo resolves this issue?

FIXED: X1 Yoga display killed with latest Intel HD Graphics Driver [ Edited ]

1) Download driver from here: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/download/25620/

2) Downlad the "Zip" file, not the EXE

3) Unzip the file to a temp folder

Get to the display adapter properties and:

4) Choose to 'update driver'

5) 'browse my computer for driver...'

6) 'let me pick from a list...'

7) click 'have disk'

8) browse to unzipped file folder location and into 'Graphics' subfolder

9) select the "igdlh64.inf" file and choose 'Open'

10) Click 'Ok', let the driver install occur and wha-la! My problem was solved.

Community SeniorMod
Community SeniorMod
Views: 999
Message 35 of 65

Hi all,

Are you also disabling driver updates via Windows 10 update?

Apologies if this has been addressed.   Haven't dug all the way through the thread.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored - questions and answers belong in the forum so that others may contribute and benefit. ... GeezBlog

Communities:   English    Deutsch    Español    Português    Русскоязычное    Česká    Slovenská    Українська   Polski    Moto English

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 982
Message 36 of 65

All,

We are really sorry for this problem and we are actively investigating it.  I could reproduce the issue here.  It happens if someone previously did "Reset this PC" (OS Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC) and then updates to the 4590 driver.  It does not happen on my PC that never previously did "Reset this PC".

There may be other ways to repro this problem also, but this is the scenario we are focusing on currently.

RS1990
Paper Tape
Views: 960
Message 37 of 65

@someotherguy wrote:

All,

We are really sorry for this problem and we are actively investigating it.  I could reproduce the issue here.  It happens if someone previously did "Reset this PC" (OS Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC) and then updates to the 4590 driver.  It does not happen on my PC that never previously did "Reset this PC".

There may be other ways to repro this problem also, but this is the scenario we are focusing on currently.

I concur...I did indeed have to reset my PC shortly after I first got it because it didn't properly connect to my work workgroup. Good find.

ChrisPerry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 950
Message 38 of 65

someotherguy,

All of our impacted PCs had a fresh install of Windows 10 Enterprise with all of the optional, recommended, and critical updates per Lenovo System Update and Windows Update.

Thanks for your continued investigation in to this problem.

ChrisPerry

jbadry
Paper Tape
Views: 941
Message 39 of 65

My x1 yogas (30) were all imaged with dism.  We've had issues with support with our full install from MS volume isos in the past, so this time we used the shipped from factory Lenovo install as a base, did an in-place upgrade to Windows 10 Enterprise, and then used Lenovo System Update to update all of the drivers.  Other than removing non-corporate apps and upgrading to Enterprise, it is still based on the Lenovo factory image.

As mentioned above, I have now uninstalled the Lenovo System Update to prevent a 3rd mishap.

We do not have Windows Update enabled; we use a 3rd party SAM, Desktop Central from Manage Engine to push Windows patches.  This runs on Thu typically and I confirmed it does not push hardware drivers and definitely the Intel 4590 did not come from it.

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 934
Message 40 of 65

There may be other ways to reproduce the problem as well.  Now that I know "reset my PC" causes this problem, I also suspect that "dism /apply-image" or other imaging tools/methods may cause it as well.

If you have an affected system in front of you, can you please check something?  I think you may be able to do this by booting into safe mode, or else by connecting an external monitor.

Look in the registry at HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Intel\IGFX
Is there a value there called "PanelDriver"?  If so, delete "PanelDriver", then reboot.
If it's the same problem as "reset my PC", then you will see a "PanelDriver" registry entry, and the problem will be fixed after you delete it and reboot.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors