cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 940
Message 41 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

ChrisPerry

Are you using the SCCM driver pack when you image your systems with Win10 Enterprise?

ChrisPerry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 925
Message 42 of 65

Re: X1 Yoga (20FR) display freezes/black screen with spinning dots with latest Intel HD Graphics Dri

Hi someotherguy,

We are not using the SCCM driver pack and we use Symantec tools for image distribution.

I checked a system that had the problem but was moved back to the .4505 driver and there was no "PanelDriver" in that registery location.

I then updated that same system's the video driver via Lenovo System Update, got the black screen, spinning dots, and working cursor, but no functional logon. Booted in to safe mode, confirmed that the driver is now .4590, launched regedit and still couldn't find "PanelDriver"in that hive.

These are not OLED displays if that makes any difference.

Thanks again for your assistance.

ChrisPerry

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 920
Message 43 of 65

ChrisPerry

Then I have no idea about your situation, if the "PanelDriver" registry doesn't exist.

Do your brightness keys (F5/F6) work, on the 4505 driver?

Can you tell me detailed steps how to reproduce your issue here?

ChrisPerry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 911
Message 44 of 65

someotherguy

I put the system back to the 4505 driver and the F5/F6 change the brightness and the brightness OSD popup works as expected.

Don't know how to help you reproduce our situation, but this system was built via the follwoing:

Clean install of Windows 10 Enterprise, 64-bit, build 1607. Installed all Windows updates, installed Symantec Endpoint Protection, installed Lenovo System Update and all updates, installed MS Office Pro 2016.

Everything, sound, touch screen, etc. was working fine until the install of the 4590 video driver. We do use these with Lenovo's USB 3 dock but once the 4590 driver is installed we get the same spinning dots and cursor on the built in display, via the HDMI or the dock.

ChrisPerry

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 900
Message 45 of 65

ChrisPerry

If your external display is going dead also, then you must be having a different problem than I am chasing here.  My only guess is that it's related to the USB 3.0 dock drivers, maybe there is some incompatibility with the 4590 driver.  I need to find a USB 3.0 dock here and try to reproduce that.  Is there a model number on the USB 3.0 dock that you are using there?

Can you please clarify what you mean by "spinning dots and cursor"?  A picture might help me understand it better...

ChrisPerry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 892
Message 46 of 65

This is what we see on the built in display, and what we see if we hook it up to an extern monitor via HDMI or USB dock. The cursor/arrow is responsive (can be moved) but the 'dots' just keep looping in a circle like they do during a normal windows boot but it never gets to a logon screen. Boot to safe mode and revert from 4590 to 4505 resolved this problem.DOTS.JPG

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 880
Message 47 of 65

ChrisPerry

This is definitely a different problem than the one I know.  I just tried a USB 3.0 dock (ASM PN 0A34193).  I started with the driver from Windows Update (4505), attached the dock, and Windows Update installed the DisplayLink driver 8.0.762.0.  Then I ran System Update and got the 4590 driver, and everything was still working.  Reboot, still no problem.  So I have no idea about your issue.  The only way I can keep investigating is if you tell me the detailed repro steps.  E.G. start by installing the Win10 Enterprise ISO, install these drivers, other software, etc.

I can tell you for sure that this does not reproduce a problem:

1.  Install Win10 Enterprise from ISO

2.  connect to WiFi network with internet access

3.  run Windows Update, repeat until no more updates

4.  run System Update, repeat until no more updates

MLDiggs
Fanfold Paper
Views: 872
Message 48 of 65

Hi All,

I had the same problem with my X1 Yoga (FQ).    It started last night and I researched it by connecting my PC to my TV so I could see the screen.  I uninstalled the Display Driver, and I got a few minutes of screen, then it went black again. Did that twice, and then went to bed and decided to call tech support.

Tech Support doesn't seem to know about the issue or have a standard fix aside from returning my computer to its factory condition, which is unacceptable.  I am in a place with no back up ability, and installing software, plugins, etc. would take weeks.  I hate that solution. It's the stupid solution to everything.

I was able to do enough forum research to get the best solution, which is in this thread, and it worked. So far, so good.  Two hours and counting.

Here is a link to the patch I installed:  http://support.lenovo.com/us/en/downloads/ds118463

Now, someone needs to tell Lenovo phone support so they don't waste the time of thousands ;-).

ML

ChrisPerry
Fanfold Paper
Views: 816
Message 49 of 65

Hi someotherguy,

I did a freah install per your steps and could not reproduce the probem. We will continue to research, I would really like to know why this driver 'breaks' our existing systems, and I will post anything we find that is of interest.

Thanks for your assistance.

ChrisPerry

Lenovo Staff
Lenovo Staff
Views: 811
Message 50 of 65

ChrisPerry

OK, keep me posted if you find the repro steps.  Once I got a repro here, I'm sure we can get Intel working on a fix.

Check out current deals!

Shop current deals

Top Kudoed Authors